R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-04-2004, 12:39 AM   #916
Tech Addict

Yup! Never move the fuel inlet on the carb as it also created air leak on mine, not only that don't remove the carb itself or else it will also creat another air leak which gave me a whole lot of problems.

What I did was to put some liquid gasket (same as the one used in real engines) and tested it today and finally I can run the engine without over heating.

I think STS should have another look at how they make this parts.

Otherwise I still believe that this is an engine that can be competitive.

Roy

Quote:
Originally posted by Zizu
Thanks Dino.That should put my mind at ease.
f2000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:05 AM   #917
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by au_Nightmare
Get the engine, I have the D5 (non mod) and its great Only real problems I had where from my actions. I moved fuel inlet on carb (DONT DO THIS - I created air leak) and I had stalling problem but this was because engine tune being too rich Ive leaned it out and she has not stopped once now !

There was one time last week I was , car stop on track. No throttle Grr looks like engine stopped.. I got car back and.. oh, engine still running , had a look, no steering either - dead receiver battery hehehe

I hate it so much when that happens.

Bad Luck
Thunder racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:07 AM   #918
Tech Addict

Default Re: Dino

Quote:
Originally posted by jscamry
how long untill the .12 adjustable roar legal tuned pipe is out to purchase? also will the pipe be avalible to purchase seperatly from the header?

thanks Jason

I wouldnt mind one of these too.
Thunder racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:33 AM   #919
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by f2000racer
Yup! Never move the fuel inlet on the carb as it also created air leak on mine, not only that don't remove the carb itself or else it will also creat another air leak which gave me a whole lot of problems.

What I did was to put some liquid gasket (same as the one used in real engines) and tested it today and finally I can run the engine without over heating.

I think STS should have another look at how they make this parts.

Otherwise I still believe that this is an engine that can be competitive.

Roy
Are you saying that you can't adjust throttle linkage angle?How'd you mount these on cars that requires slanting carb angle?
Zizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:36 AM   #920
Tech Master

I turned my carb 180deg (actually it was more) no worries. Its got 2 orings seals, more then some engines that only have the one up the top.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:18 AM   #921
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me if I can use a 3 port sleve from an RS3 in an RS5 motor?

I have a brand new RS5 that I can't use for sanctioned racing(or even club racing for that matter!) over here in Western Australia, and was wondering if I can fix my problem cheaply by fitting a 3 port sleeve.

Dino, maybe you can answer this one for me. There's no supplier of STS motors over here on the West Coast of Western Australia that can tell me.

Cheers,

Mike.
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:14 AM   #922
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hi again,
so far i've only read from you guys about air leaks, and front bearing leaks.
any other problems that you guys come across with the STS dragon 3 port engines? sorry to be so paranoid im planning to get one 2nd hand thats why. Now i know some of you would think why bother but its just going to be a saturday practice motor.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:42 AM   #923
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by BrainTeased
hi again,
so far i've only read from you guys about air leaks, and front bearing leaks.
any other problems that you guys come across with the STS dragon 3 port engines? sorry to be so paranoid im planning to get one 2nd hand thats why. Now i know some of you would think why bother but its just going to be a saturday practice motor.
Saturday practice motor could end up in Saturday headache with 2nd hand motor if you don't know how the first owner ran it.I seen a lot of frustations with 2nd hands to make me stay away from one.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:54 AM   #924
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thats true! but the seller claims that he has only used it for 2 (10min) qualifying heats. and hes only asking half the price that its worth brand new. what he claims = almost new but yes it is abit of a gamble as he is from another state. but your maybe right about the 2nd hand principle! i goto stop hunting for bargins lol.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #925
Tech Addict

I'm not saying you can't. But make sure you test the engine again for leaks after moving the carb.

Right now I don't have leaks after I applied some automotive liquid gasket around the carb when it sits in the engine block and around the main needle. Remember, this has only happened with this brand engine and not on my other engines.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zizu
Are you saying that you can't adjust throttle linkage angle?How'd you mount these on cars that requires slanting carb angle?
f2000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:56 PM   #926
Tech Master

I seen a aussie ebay advert for a D5.. "only raced once and was run in correctly, total of 600cc fuel through engine". The D5 takes over 2000cc of fuel to break in so it was not even 1/4 broken in when it was raced, buyer beware...

Quote:
thats true! but the seller claims that he has only used it for 2 (10min) qualifying heats. and hes only asking half the price that its worth brand new. what he claims = almost new but yes it is abit of a gamble as he is from another state. but your maybe right about the 2nd hand principle! i goto stop hunting for bargins lol.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:13 PM   #927
Tech Adept

Quote:
For a half priced STS might as well go for a new STS.Whichever way you go good luck.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:16 PM   #928
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by f2000racer
I'm not saying you can't. But make sure you test the engine again for leaks after moving the carb.

Right now I don't have leaks after I applied some automotive liquid gasket around the carb when it sits in the engine block and around the main needle. Remember, this has only happened with this brand engine and not on my other engines.

Good Luck.
Thanks.I'll make a note of that.BTW I'll be putting my 5R in a G4.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:53 PM   #929
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Blakesrc

Hi,

Anyone know what the stock needle settings are for the Rs3?

Thanks,

Blake
Blakesrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:00 PM   #930
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Z00M
Can anyone tell me if I can use a 3 port sleve from an RS3 in an RS5 motor?

I have a brand new RS5 that I can't use for sanctioned racing(or even club racing for that matter!) over here in Western Australia, and was wondering if I can fix my problem cheaply by fitting a 3 port sleeve.

Dino, maybe you can answer this one for me. There's no supplier of STS motors over here on the West Coast of Western Australia that can tell me.

Cheers,

Mike.
Anyone able to answer this?
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote