Search
Like Tree192Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porterdog
...And speaking of seizing control: Yesterday I hooked up a brand-new Xerun 80A to my laptop via the LCD programming box and most of the 'advanced' options weren't visible. I could get Max Rev, Initial Brake, Neutral, and Timing. 'Motor Type' was greyed out, and none of the others (cool stuff like turbo level and timing punch) were even visible. What gives?
pretty sure only the 60 and 120 amp v2 and up have supercharged firmware update . cheers
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gogi108
pretty sure only the 60 and 120 amp v2 and up have supercharged firmware update . cheers
Thanks for that (well, kinda, anyway )

Would be nice if that was made clear up front; not sure I really need the $17 LCD box given that. Coulda spent the money on beer.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys, what are normal esc and motor temps? just tested my new xerun 60A and 17.5T and its quite slow in comparison to other guys? punch is at 6 and timing at 6. current 28/82 on stadium truck. I tried changing spur to 30/76 combo and it helped a littler bit, esc seems very cool, but motor a little warm, just not sure what are safe temps. only problem is now i cant clear the double. thinking of smaller pinion but scared i'll top end mid way through straight = hotter motor? Am i understanding this correctly?

what i'm trying to ask is

1. Does smaller pinion work motor harder or esc
2. how do you figure out optimal spur/ pinion sizing.
3. Does timing affect esc or motor temps

i'm just scared of burning my new stuff.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Problems with 150a Xerun in Summi

Hi,
I just received my 150a Xerun with 2200 kv for my Summit today.
I am having problems though and was after some help.
The truck starts running, slooooowly and then just stops. The red led single flashes. From the manual this signals low voltage protection.

Ok here is my setup for reference -
gearing 13/58 (running big canyon tyres for now)
Packs - 14 cell 3000mah NIMH. The traxxas ones that came with the Summit.

I tried running it on the Summit's low range diff and it still does the same thing, I am pretty sure my gearing is ok. From calcs it should give me about 27mph which doesn't seem over-geared.

Not sure if the esc is the problem....... I am hoping somebody will tell me my packs are rubbish and wait for the 4s lipos to arrive.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peff
hey guys, what are normal esc and motor temps? just tested my new xerun 60A and 17.5T and its quite slow in comparison to other guys? punch is at 6 and timing at 6. current 28/82 on stadium truck. I tried changing spur to 30/76 combo and it helped a littler bit, esc seems very cool, but motor a little warm, just not sure what are safe temps. only problem is now i cant clear the double. thinking of smaller pinion but scared i'll top end mid way through straight = hotter motor? Am i understanding this correctly?

A smaller pinion (after a certain point) will cause you to be undergeared and will put more strain on the ESC as opposed to a pinion that is too large which will put more strain on the motor, causing more heat there
Your truck should have come with a guide that will give you a ball park, then work up and down from there based on performance and temperature. Another option would be find the thread for your truck and see what others are running
Yes, timing will cause the motor to work harder by squeezing more power out and will typically cause a rise in temerature

Hope this helps
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gbasile77
Hi,
I just received my 150a Xerun with 2200 kv for my Summit today.
I am having problems though and was after some help.
The truck starts running, slooooowly and then just stops. The red led single flashes. From the manual this signals low voltage protection.

Ok here is my setup for reference -
gearing 13/58 (running big canyon tyres for now)
Packs - 14 cell 3000mah NIMH. The traxxas ones that came with the Summit.

I tried running it on the Summit's low range diff and it still does the same thing, I am pretty sure my gearing is ok. From calcs it should give me about 27mph which doesn't seem over-geared.

Not sure if the esc is the problem....... I am hoping somebody will tell me my packs are rubbish and wait for the 4s lipos to arrive.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Check your ESC battery settings. I believe the default is for LIPO. Since you are using NIMH it may be whats causing the problem. Change the setting and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peff

i take it you can run timing in the stock class u are in , get the 930stock firmware in there , boost the ish out of it , you shouldn't have any power problems then . i was running a 10.5 and with stock firmware which was pretty doughy , boost really brings em to life .
Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jethro32
Check your ESC battery settings. I believe the default is for LIPO. Since you are using NIMH it may be whats causing the problem. Change the setting and see what happens.
I may have tried this. I turned off low voltage cut-off and left lipo cells to auto.
I also lowered the punch to 4.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Tech Addict

Does that ESC support NIMH? You need to change the setting from AUTO LIPO to custom or NIMH. Im drawing a blank on what the available choices are. I'll go look at my program box and get back to you
Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gbasile77
I am hoping somebody will tell me my packs are rubbish and wait for the 4s lipos to arrive.
Your packs are rubbish; wait for the 4S LiPos to arrive.

Seriously- your ESC/motor combo probably places so much of a demand on the batter that at launch the battery voltage sags badly, invoking the LVC. Turn punch all the way down, turn timing all the way down, and no full-throttle launches. Until you're 4S'd.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by e-guy1980
Hope this helps
Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by porterdog
Your packs are rubbish; wait for the 4S LiPos to arrive.

Seriously- your ESC/motor combo probably places so much of a demand on the batter that at launch the battery voltage sags badly, invoking the LVC. Turn punch all the way down, turn timing all the way down, and no full-throttle launches. Until you're 4S'd.
I agree. There is nothing in the manual to set the ESC for NIMH just turning off the LVC but like he said the battery probably cant provide the amps that the ESC needs so its just cutting out.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default xerun 60A boosted and timing with 17.5

I placed this question in the 120A thread by mistake, cab anyone help with safe boost and timimg settings for 17.5T?

"Hey guys, I've loaded stock 930 for my xerun 60a and hobbywing 17.5T in my stadium truck(22t)

When you say timing can be 30, which timing is that, 9:boost timing or 12:turbo timing? I'm thinking of leaving it all default settings at first to see how it reacts?

I was looking for something to help clear the doubles at our track. Seems fine on the straight with 82/28 combo.

Thanks ( sorry guys, just realized this is 120a thread, my bad, if anyone has help though, still welcome)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogi108 View Post
i'm running 19 pinion 80ish spur in my b4 with 10.5 xerun combo running 930stock . timing can be 30 with boost maybe 10 or so , number 15 maybe start 500 or so , turbo delay off , boost increment i'm using 18deg per .1sec so it comes on hard (wheelstands when hooks up right). i was amazed when i first loaded the boosted firmware into the speedy , doubles the power
Old 02-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jethro32
I agree. There is nothing in the manual to set the ESC for NIMH just turning off the LVC but like he said the battery probably cant provide the amps that the ESC needs so its just cutting out.

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll hold-off until my packs arrive. Hopefully once I have these the car will run properly.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Ok tell me if Im wrong. I bought the 150a 1/8 esc thinking that it will work with my SCTE and today I tried to get it running. I had programmed the esc and followed the directions.
I couldnt get my scte to run with out any hesitation. So to my conclusion I figured that the esc is not set up for scte but 1/8 buggy/ monster/ crawler vehicles.

I ordered a sct pro. Ill just have to order a 1/8 motor for my buggy then. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.