• 2 Post By 8000ft
  • 1 Post By B4.2mtl

Battery survey

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Battery survey

Just a simple question,

What battery are you using and do you like it.

I'm running a SMC 8000mah True Spec DV in my Serpent SRX8 GT8e.

I've got 8 of them and most are ok but a few have a single cell that has started to go to crap after a few months of use.

I may try their Graphene but .........maybe not.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:02 AM
Tech Lord

Do a search, there are sooooooo many "what to use" topics....
gigaplex and big ted like this.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roelof
Do a search, there are sooooooo many "what to use" topics....
Read the question, it's not a "what to use" question it's a what are you using and what do you like about them question.

Why are you assuming that I didn't do a search? There are sooooooooo many ways that you could have been helpful but you chose not to.

Your reaction was almost as helpful as the moderator that removed this question from the on-road section and said that it was an electronic question. No actually it was a question that was specific to the on road users not the Traxxas Slash basher.

If you can't help then just don't.
DRTMI and the rc guy like this.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 8000ft
Why are you assuming that I didn't do a search?
Because many do not, even if they say they did. And if you do read such topics then you know why some brands are popular. I can tell you most reasons are performance, price and/or quality
And no, I will not do the search for you because I think people need to find the answers on the most simple and common questions by them selve.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for a more informative response.
I did of course do a search, if fact multiple word combination searches, and did not find what I was looking for therefore I thought that I would pose the specific question.
I thought that it would be easy enough for anyone that would like to share their opinions to say "I'm using brand X because of reason X"
I guess not.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Protek Graphene 7.6 HV LCG 2s shorty.

LOVE IT

Old 12-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
Protek Graphene 7.6 HV LCG 2s shorty.

LOVE IT
Thank you,
Old 12-28-2020, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Been using Team Orion 2S Carbon Pro Ultra 110C Shorty 7.4v 5000 mAh lipos (4mm plugs) for almost 5 years now and never had even one single issue with them. Accurate figures, good punch and keeps offering high performance throughout while in use, holds charge very very well, when stored even after 1+ year at some point: stayed perfectly balanced, no perceptible fading due to age, still very low IR(or low enough not to cause any temp issues), performs as good as new to this day.
Conclusion: light, powerful and durable, couldn't be happier with this product.

Only downside: quite often on backorder like many other Orion products.

Recently purchased SMC True Spec Extreme Graphene V2 7.4V 5200 mAh 120C Shorty 5mm. Too early to call but my very first thoughts is that except for the tube size and design, I find them to be very similar to the Orion above and in performance so far...time will tell.
Pro: seems like pretty good value for what it has to offer.

Last edited by B4.2mtl; 12-29-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:01 AM
Tech Regular

Factory Xtreme 2s and 4s. 2s: shorty and stick packs. 4s 9000mah for 1/8 buggy. Very good ir's, excellent customer service, and consisent in delivery of power.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Diana
You can find your answer on google.
While I agree there's about a gazillion threads on lipos in the web, I'm not against the idea, say 1 new thread per year on the topic that could be stickied in the forum for example since product offerings evolve all the time.

Also since most lipos are outsourced from China factories and relabeled, quality control seems often to be an issue overtime and what was true at one point(good or bad) might not always be true 2 years after in some cases.

Next any of the online reviews on commercial website, while they could be useful in many cases, they sometimes don't give the whole picture since in many cases you hear more from the small number of users with negative experience and less from people with positive ones which could potentially misleading for others. These reviews are for the most part initial impressions, not long term use.

Lastly, how many friendly fake reviews are there on the net with newer brands that seem to emerge every month or undue bashing for some other brands and all done by the same few people? whereas here at least members history can always be verified if you're not sure what to make of a given post on the topic.

Conclusion: if done well, I think such a thread could be very useful.

EDIT: Diana's post has vanished! lol
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

GREAT info guys.

This is why I posed the original question.

Thru your answers I now have several other brands to look at that I never even thought of.

Thank you for your responses.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:08 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 8000ft
GREAT info guys.

This is why I posed the original question.

Thru your answers I now have several other brands to look at that I never even thought of.

Thank you for your responses.
So you were in the search of what battery to buy?

Best batteries
What's the current "Hot" Battery?
Your Go-To Brand of Batteries
Battery Recommendation
Best Battery
LIPO Batteries
Zeee Batteries
Best Battery for 17.5 TC
SMC LIPO BATTERY THREAD
Best 2s lipo
New LIHV advice
best lipo batteries for 17.5 vs mod racing
Old 12-30-2020, 04:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Between the kid and I we have Traxxas, Turnigy, Reedy, Onyx, Lectron and Xcelorin (Losi) batteries. All 2S, most are standard ish stick packs for a Slash or an SC10. The last two are receiver/strarter packs for my nitro truck.

The Reedy seems to have the most consistent punch. The Traxxas cost the most and I wouldn't bother buying another (not a bad battery, just not any better than the rest). None of the others stand out except the Xcelorin believe it or not. I have a 2S receiver pack that came with my nitro truck 5+ years ago and is still gets the job done. Seems to have lost some capacity over the years but not enough to retire it. No puff, and you figure it would be used to start and run a small block nitro a few evenings a week and for whole Saturdays throughout the summers before getting stored for the winter.

I would say find what your local shop carries and run with it, that's how I wound up with the Reedy and I have not been disappointed.