Search
Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
O - my reference was to how people are never happy with the rules and when something new comes out, the people who are against it are those that don't have it. We are seeing the same complaints today we saw when LIPO's came out and when Nimh batteries jumped from 3300 to what 4700 / 4800 very quickly. What did it cost to race at the top when you had to buy at least 3-4 good matched cell packs a few times a year ?

And I know I am opening another can of worms here but people screaming about needing a spec esc because they can't afford $ 160 -180 for a new one but they can afford to spend $ 100.00 or more on tires for a single race ?

One thing I have noticed in TCS, at least on the West Coast. How many people have dropped down from GT-1 to slower classes like GT-2 or mini. Look at how few GT-1 drivers were at the Nats. I used to race GT-2 and GT-3. I decided I wanted to get better so I race GT-1 and GT-2 now. If I can learn to control the speed of a GT-1 car, that will only make me better with my GT-2 car.
yeah, true... bottom line is $$$.. im on a budget. plain and simple.. bought a SPX last year for Finals, three months after i had just bought a new TC Spec.. why? only because everyone was yarding me... spent $150 on tires, and all of them were Thailand tires which didnt grip worth a damn... yeah, thats fair.. lol.. when will the madness stop? lol

todays speeds of GT2 are very close to GT1.. why not just set a distinct limit between the two? not to mention a disticnt cost spread? thats why i joined GT2 in the first place, when the black-can was in. faster than silver-can, slower than 19t (didnt have to worry about all the trick silver brushes), didnt have to worry about one-run tires, didnt have to worry about trick batteries, my speedo was plenty good enough for the motor... just had to set up my car and drive it.. minimal $$$

Last edited by OSherman; 01-25-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
why is it called Senior Spec? you have to be a senior citizen or something?
we're all gonna get there dude!!!
some sooner than others
don't worry though I wont knock your cane out from ya on the driverstand
Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
we're all gonna get there dude!!!
some sooner than others
don't worry though I wont knock your cane out from ya on the driverstand
what are you talking about. im gonna have a hopped up wheelchair with a tekin RS that has software version 2235.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just got back from Ultimate Hobbies from a purchase extravaganza and I acquired a 540 Johnson motor. I removed it from the box and put it on the dyno and the rpm at 5 volts read 16,210 rpm so it sounds as if I am FULLY legal to run this motor at the Tamiya Aliso regional. Right? Weird though the motor has this mysterious red kinda poorly painted (shaky hands I presume) rounded object affixed on the side of the can.

One last statement - If you are bitchin about spending the money to go fast in a "cost concious racing series" then maybe you should look at the name of the act itself "RACE" its not called The Tamiya lets go out and "RUN AGAINST EACH OTHER AND WHO CARES HOW YOU FINISH" series its called RACING and with that brings competition and that brings the desire to win and more importantly have fun, so if you feel that you can't compete at one level becuase of equipment or money then step it up or down and be happy that Tamiya is still putting on the greatest SERIES nationwide in my opinion in the industry today. I have won a few and lost many races and at the end of the day I leave with a smile on my face and I had fun doing it. Thats why I dont run GT1 or GT2 I can't afford it and I probably would get my but kicked even if I had all the expensive equipment the industry had to offer.

One more last last Statement/Question - Whats the RPM imit on the silver can class going to be
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

i am all for advancement in technology...my only gripe is that GT2 is not what it once was, plain and simple. if i wantedd to spend money just to stay competetive, i would race GT1... but im not, lol.. or am i?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
I just got back from Ultimate Hobbies from a purchase extravaganza and I acquired a 540 Johnson motor. I removed it from the box and put it on the dyno and the rpm at 5 volts read 16,210 rpm so it sounds as if I am FULLY legal to run this motor at the Tamiya Aliso regional. Right? Weird though the motor has this mysterious red kinda poorly painted (shaky hands I presume) rounded object affixed on the side of the can.

One more last last Statement/Question - Whats the RPM imit on the silver can class going to be
I think thats one of those fancy Red Dot racing engines!!!

The Slivercan highly restricted RPM limit is to be singled out for the Mini drivers only , looks like the F-1 and GT3 guys will be having all the fun. With your luck the limit will be 16,209.5 RPM

It's for the best ,I'm getting older and slower anyway. If the mini is slower ,I'll drive better!!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thats Funny Ray !!! Its really fun when you put a pass on someone in the KINK at Tamiya now thats racing !!! I did it on Reinhardt a few years ago with my Mini when he was warming up for the Reedy Race with his 415 but then again I was running a RED DOT motor so its understandable
Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I am in the process of trying to prepare an EVO 5 MS for the GT1 class so my son can compete in one of the TCS races. Is there a prefered Tamiya body/wing combination that seems to work well for this class and is it available still for purchase. Thanks, Keith.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by kghills
I am in the process of trying to prepare an EVO 5 MS for the GT1 class so my son can compete in one of the TCS races. Is there a prefered Tamiya body/wing combination that seems to work well for this class and is it available still for purchase. Thanks, Keith.
the ARTA (2006) NSX with the high downforce wing set. dont get the '07 NSX.. thats ONLY for IFS cars. <- a seasoned post from someone who doesnt run GT1.

Last edited by Hebiki; 01-27-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kghills
the ARTA (2006) NSX with the high downforce wing set. dont get the '07 NSX.. thats ONLY for IFS cars.
Chris, Chris...you are slipping. The NSX is not legal for GT1 in 2010. Below are the only 4 legal bodies.

NEW for 2010:
The GT-1 class will use specific car bodies for the 2010 season. Legal GT-1 bodies: Any Nissan Skyline, Lexus SC 430, Subaru Cusco Dunlop and Mazda RX-7 ORC Amemiya.

TCS GT1 legal bodies
  1. Nissan Skyline
  2. Lexus SC-430
  3. Subaru Cusco Dunlop
  4. Maxda RX-7 ORC Amemiya
We tried 3 out of the 4. Send me a PM if you want to know which is the winner for GT1.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
Chris, Chris...you are slipping. The NSX is not legal for GT1 in 2010. Below are the only 4 legal bodies.

NEW for 2010:
The GT-1 class will use specific car bodies for the 2010 season. Legal GT-1 bodies: Any Nissan Skyline, Lexus SC 430, Subaru Cusco Dunlop and Mazda RX-7 ORC Amemiya.

TCS GT1 legal bodies
  1. Nissan Skyline
  2. Lexus SC-430
  3. Subaru Cusco Dunlop
We tried 3 out of the 4. Send me a PM if you want to know which is the winner for GT1.
I was wondering the same thing, why would he keep talking about the NSX when the rule saying there are only 4 legal bodies to choose from?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by TeamB&B

NEW for 2010:

TCS GT1 legal bodies
  1. Nissan Skyline
  2. Lexus SC-430
  3. Subaru Cusco Dunlop
oh yah. my bad.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OSherman
yeah, true... bottom line is $$$.. im on a budget. plain and simple.. bought a SPX last year for Finals, three months after i had just bought a new TC Spec.. why? only because everyone was yarding me... spent $150 on tires, and all of them were Thailand tires which didnt grip worth a damn... yeah, thats fair.. lol.. when will the madness stop? lol

todays speeds of GT2 are very close to GT1.. why not just set a distinct limit between the two? not to mention a disticnt cost spread? thats why i joined GT2 in the first place, when the black-can was in. faster than silver-can, slower than 19t (didnt have to worry about all the trick silver brushes), didnt have to worry about one-run tires, didnt have to worry about trick batteries, my speedo was plenty good enough for the motor... just had to set up my car and drive it.. minimal $$$
Hey O - I totally agree with you there. I was not one of the last minute converts to the SPX last year and had to make up with lack of straight line speed by trying to drive cleaner lines and not dot. When will the madness stop ? Probably never as long as their are at least two manufactures making the same product. Always need to make something better so people will buy it.

Now for GT-2, I think it is safe to say speeds are getting close to if not soon passing old GT-1 (probably faster than the 2 year old 10.5 systems). GT-1 is gettign closer to open mod. The forums will be very "active" this year as each regional race passes. Will be very interesting to see what Sir Medel cooks up for the Nationals for us.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

oh yah. my bad.
Chris - you are now qualified for the Senior Spec class.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Chris - you are now qualified for the Senior Spec class.
Noooooo...not yet...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.