Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C5R01
This will be parked at all TCS races this season

Thank you Carl. Chris got lazy.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Guess it's my turn to bump it and keep it on the front page, LOL!

Getting ready for the new season. Thought I had everything I needed, that is until I learned my SPX was garbage against the upgraded Tekin and other high-end ESCs. So like any other red-blooded racer I whipped out the credit card and upgraded. Guess that's racing.....

I agree with what several others have been posting. Let's lock down a set of basic rules for a few years and see how everything plays out. But IMO, GT1 and GT2 should be allowed to follow the technology curve so racers can use their cars/equipment at other races and stay competitive. If you don't like chasing ESCs, stick with GT3. And by no means am I knocking GT3, as it's long been one of the most competitive classes at the TCS events I frequent.

And while I'm on the soap box, I think we should promote a "spec" class for ANY racer (a'la Senior Spec) where we can lock down the equipment list and let them stand the test of time. No chasing techology, just good old silvercans (preferably hand-outs) and lower capacity cheap Lipos. I suspect most people who race their Tamiyas year round aren't talking about TT01s, so keeping these cars simple wouldn't hurt anyone at club races. In fact, I could see many club races adopting the senior spec rules for a low stress fun class where even beginners have a fighting chance.

See ya in Omaha!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

For those that don't know what Senior Spec is!! This is the very successful format that we use for a cheap ,fun and very competitive club racing . We average about 15 racers a night and as high 40 during special races . The gearing is kept low so that new racer can handle the cars and veterans racers can cut razor close driving lines.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-spec.jpg  
Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ray k
For those that don't know what Senior Spec is!! This is the very successful format that we use for a cheap ,fun and very competitive club racing . We average about 15 racers a night and as high 40 during special races . The gearing is kept low so that new racer can handle the cars and veterans racers can cut razor close driving lines.
I've heard nothing but GREAT stories from the Senior Spec racing at the C. Looking forward to shooting video of that at the upcoming TCS race at the C.

On a similar note, my local track had (past tense) ZERO Tamiya interest two weeks ago when I put my F104 down for a few laps. Fast forward two weeks, I ran my F104 with the WGT cars and suddenly the F1 kits were flying off the shelves. Looks like Tamiya has once again made a class that appeals to a wide range of enthusiasts. See you C guys in a couple months for some open wheel action.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Default The death groove

No, it's not the name of some new alternative band. But it should be. Anyway, found in testing at TA yesterday that after run 9 on my F104 rubber "type B" tires, the left rear began developing a deep groove on the inside of the tread, right above the bead. As these tires have no insert at all, this should give an idea of how much life the tires will have that way. I concur with FMW (of course, why shouldn't I), that an insert of some sort is needed, and the stock insert is probably only any good for really warm days. Next set of tires I run will have an old F103 neopreme-sheet insert.
I'd like to hear from everyone about fitment issues to get the F104 rubber tires to fit down over the rims, instead of not quite reaching the edge of the outer lip of the rim. When I glued up some tires yesterday it was a real drag--admittedly was cold at TA yesterday--and despite borrowing some nice rubber bands from veteran Mini prince Chuck L. couldn't quite get the rubber bead to reach/touch the rim lip. This, after repeatedly manipulaing the carcass so it would fit down over the protruding rib that goes into the tire bead. Ideas, lads?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

minimadman2003 & Ray K - As TCS veterans and outstanding drivers may be you can convince the TCS leaders or deciders to offer Senior Spec as a special class at the races in Maryland, Connecticut, Memphis, and Trackside. Trackside offers a rally class, why not Senior Spec.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
minimadman2003 & Ray K - As TCS veterans and outstanding drivers may be you can convince the TCS leaders or deciders to offer Senior Spec as a special class at the races in Maryland, Connecticut, Memphis, and Trackside. Trackside offers a rally class, why not Senior Spec.
Ok, hold on!!!
First of all i'm not against senior spec. But don't you think there are enough classes at the Trackside TCS venue?
Scotty does a great job of getting us out the door and on the road at a reasonable hour, if you add another class, what does it do? It makes a long weekend longer. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the race, but I just dont think that we need to add another class to the schedule. If you want to lobby Scotty to run Senior Spec than I would motion that another class goes away, either rally or offroad. The problem I have noticed with all these exhibition classes is that they don't count toward your 2, so guys could theoretically run 4 classes.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 PM
MD
Tech Champion

What's a few more races. Make it a three or four day race. No, I am just kidding. You're probably correct about Trackside.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I think the off-road guys(4wd buggy) will not be running because of the motor change. 13.5 to 17.5 loss of power. +1 for Senior Spec
Dave
Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I would encourage Senior Spec to be counted as one of your two sign-ups. In fact, I ran it in Memphis as my second class last year instead of (gulp) mini! The class was a blast, and I could only imagine how it might have been if Memphis wasn't a rescheduled race and everyone was able to attend. We had 20+ commitments for it before the rains came. I think Senior Spec would see greater sign-ups than GT1 at most venues!!!

Maybe it's time for me to change my RCtech handle.......
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 PM
MD
Tech Champion

I race the Stock Slash Class and it's popular all over the country, and I think if Tamiya promoted a Senior Spec it could me similar. Look at the popularity of the mini. A durable, less expensive chassis, why not the TT01. The Senior Spec offers a lower cost chance to race touring car. I think the key to it is success are its limitations. If you look at the turmoil in the Transam class since it got away from the original form. I think if they stay away from the temptation to allow a few more hop-ups it could grow in popularity. All the rules are great and when you throw in the handout motor, it really makes things interesting.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I race the Stock Slash Class and it's popular all over the country, and I think if Tamiya promoted a Senior Spec it could me similar. Look at the popularity of the mini. A durable, less expensive chassis, why not the TT01. The Senior Spec offers a lower cost chance to race touring car. I think the key to it is success are its limitations. If you look at the turmoil in the Transam class since it got away from the original form. I think if they stay away from the temptation to allow a few more hop-ups it could grow in popularity. All the rules are great and when you throw in the handout motor, it really makes things interesting.

The good thing is Trans Am will be going back to a similar way when the class was design this fall.
Dave
Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Yes, I've been following the evolution of that series. The TA series has realized the problems with the new speed controls. I hope Tamiya does.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
I agree with what several others have been posting. Let's lock down a set of basic rules for a few years and see how everything plays out. But IMO, GT1 and GT2 should be allowed to follow the technology curve so racers can use their cars/equipment at other races and stay competitive. If you don't like chasing ESCs, stick with GT3. And by no means am I knocking GT3, as it's long been one of the most competitive classes at the TCS events I frequent.

With concerns about exhibition classes. Scotty at Trackside knows when his day will end usually within the hour by race entries. I would hate to pass by a new class and drop another without know if either will do well. Let the popularity or lack of popularity of a class effect what classes are offered. If the initial race entries are low, then allow for a exhibition entry (making 3rd exhibition class entry possible). I would think high entries and 1 day races would effect decisions of extra classes and extra entries.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

why is it called Senior Spec? you have to be a senior citizen or something?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.