Search
Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ewippler

That record of yours is truly amazing. My history is missing a fair number of results from the mid to late 90s which would explain the differences. Races 42, 47-64,68. 76, and 77 to be exact. In the records I have, I have you placing on the podium in 33 events. Do you normally run 2 cars at each race?.......

erik:

thank you -- my numbers are as correct as i can get them thru race 161, not 166 -sorry. also, not sure but there may be a few more races in there as well during the 90's where i didnt make a podium. and yes - 2 cars was the norm for me in the mid 90's and for many races during the 2000's. not so much any more, too much work!! i had a bit of a racing hiatus in 99, 00, & '01 due to work. i used to have more race info, but now most of that is in a landfill somewhere.

in the 90's, runnig 2 classes -- F1 & sedan was alotta fun.... it was legal to experiment w 2WD/4WD on the TA02 chassis, and on some tracks, 2WD was sooo much faster. i borrowed a 02 chassis & would tear the guts out of the front transfer case and lose the drive shaft to save wt. -- the trick was to make everybody think it was 4WD. 2WD made it lighter and dramatically reduced drag... had a warsteiner BMW 318 and dekra ALFA 155 body for it, a ton of fun @ so many tamiya races in socal parking lots. i drove an M06 at aliso a few weeks ago and it drove quite well, & eerily similar to a 2WD TA02. welp, its all 'spec racing' now. engineering your car has been engineered away!! but hey, its all good.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

I also took a break from '03-'05 due to a rash of rules changes and then skipped '07 and '09 due to family issues (kids / illness). Otherwise, have been TCS racing strong since '99 (almost 20 races now). No where your, Steve or Doc Mertz's totals, but maybe some day if you slow down I will catch up.

That is cool. I guess like minds think alike. There were several inovators this past weekend in the F1 classes doing stuff I hadn't seen before. Worked very well. Problem is TCS is frowed on this in the past (I remember having a run thrown out for using a set of Tamyia mini inserts in a Tamiya F1 front tire- ouch).

TCS has become a lot of spec racing for sure, but that is not such a bad thing. They have brought it back to where it started with more realistic bodies (limiting the NSXs), and spoked wheels. F1 is back as is FWD and those classes were a lot of fun. Might be why I always raced mini - they are just plain fun and the racing is close.

The 4wd cars were much quicker than FWD as they pull out of the corners so much better. If the FWD had a gear diff, the difference could have been reduced, but Tamiya doesn't currently offer one. Top speed probably went to FWD, but the track wasn't large enough to really see.

The M06 is a beast when the conditions allow. Although this past weekend, TR was an issue for all minis (they inforced ride height at 5mm to protect the racing surface). The trick was to drive it very smooth without an sudden inputs.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Awesome TCS racing done by Eric and The Track's family and crew.
Too bad TCS races are only held once a year at regional tracks.
Great seeing all the usual suspects and some new ones too. . . .
Old 03-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I used to due the race directing out here in MD for TCS, I have a hazy memmory of keeoing some early ( 95 - 96 ) results, I have pics for sure, and may be a ble to recreate results from that.

I remember the Cincy race in 05 or 06, I went to both, that was good times ! fast crowd too, the Old RCO days were fun back when we did Rally.

I will dig a little, and see what turns up..
This year has been fun so far, I wish more FWD's wer out here on the East Coast, maybe this summer, the MO6 was a challege at Ultra-high-grip Frederick.. but fun learning that car..

Hope we have a huge turn out for Md.this summer, if any one needs a place to stay, lmk, my wife wont mind if we have a " few " guests !!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Initiate

First,,,,, I want to say Thanks for all the things that were said about The Track and us hosting the TCS Race....

Im glad everyone had a good time and we hope to see you all again at (hopefully) next years TCS race here.

I want to Thank everyone who helped us make the day run smoothly. Also a special Thanks to Breanna for helping behind the counter. Your the best !!!!

Like Eric said, I am working on getting the pictures posted on here (photobucket is not helping at all) I should have them on here by tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by her3kdz
First,,,,, I want to say Thanks for all the things that were said about The Track and us hosting the TCS Race....

Im glad everyone had a good time and we hope to see you all again at (hopefully) next years TCS race here.

I want to Thank everyone who helped us make the day run smoothly. Also a special Thanks to Breanna for helping behind the counter. Your the best !!!!

Like Eric said, I am working on getting the pictures posted on here (photobucket is not helping at all) I should have them on here by tomorrow.
It was a great time. the race ran smooth and fast.
Can't wait for pics.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok Folks,,,,,

I finally figured it out... I know it took long enough..

Here you go....

http://thetrackatharborhobbies.shutterfly.com/
Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Default I'm getting verklempt here

Wow, you guys. We've really let this slide. Third page? C'mon, we've got to keep up the fantastic legacy and the glorious history of the TCS page. Somebody start something. Anything. Blow up a speedo or something. Talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic. The M06 is getting faster than the M05. Discuss.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

How bout silver cans at the last outing?
How'd it go?
Any DQs?
Limit adjustments?

CHEATERS? what?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

17,500 was the . It was a problem again as multi qualifying runs were thrown out. Tech (my pits were nearby) was a busy place all weekend long for people checking motors. My 2 cars were teched 5-6 times each as they checked 1 and 2nd in each qual and 1,2,3 in each main. The fast guys did notice that motors in the 16.5-16.8k RPM range seemed to work best while remaining legal, especially in the classes without fixed gearing (everything but mini). They newer motors had less RPM, but more torque.

When traction allows, M06 is faster than M05. Omaha, Maryland and Winthrop Harbor prove.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Jimmy Stegen won F1 with a motor that only cleared 16K one time. My TQ motor never got over 15,800.

That being said, the limit is probably low.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

New motors seemed to work for me, my old SC motors would spin up above 17500, but no torque.. I did see my box stock motors start at 16,8 ish and creep up to 17,2 ish, before the main in Mini I got an official safety check at 17,240, put some magic drops on, went out , ran the main, and returned to be legal, tech guy said I was close.. but none the less legal.

The MO6 was fun to wheel, different , but fun. The MO5's could " cut " harder, but seemed to push through the middle of the corner, that is where my MO6 would regain some time, I got my car to rotate middle and off the cornor, I think rear wheel drive helped there..
Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

My F1 motor came out of the box at 16200 and I only got teched once, after a couple of runs it was I believe around 16800, I ran it after that test, so I dont know what it might pull now
Originally Posted by Casey
New motors seemed to work for me, my old SC motors would spin up above 17500, but no torque.. I did see my box stock motors start at 16,8 ish and creep up to 17,2 ish, before the main in Mini I got an official safety check at 17,240, put some magic drops on, went out , ran the main, and returned to be legal, tech guy said I was close.. but none the less legal.

The MO6 was fun to wheel, different , but fun. The MO5's could " cut " harder, but seemed to push through the middle of the corner, that is where my MO6 would regain some time, I got my car to rotate middle and off the cornor, I think rear wheel drive helped there..
Old 03-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So out of the box stock, just run it or clean it and run it or dip it, clean it and run it?

I just oiled then ran mine once (in January TCS F104) then checked it. 16,500 ish on similar dyno in pits.
Cleaned it then raced it, 2nd run, then checked it 16,900...
Cleaned it again, raced it, 3rd run on motor, checked it and just over 17,000.
Cleaned it again, raced the main, 4th run on motor and they checked it at 17,520, gave it a few minutes and checked it again and said it passed so I got by and kept a runner up finish.

So did you guys clean yours or just oil and run em fresh out of the box?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Fresh out of the box with a drop of oil. FOund 3-4 runs the motor would be in teh 16,500 range. IF after a race it dropped below 16,000 I would clean it out. Target was 16,500-16,800 for the start of the race. AGain, there were only 10-20 runs in a fresh motor before it WILL exceed the limit. Just a matter of time.

Erik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.