R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #181
Tech Fanatic

Yes, of course! Especially in colder climates. If the ambient temperature is 50 degrees, the engine is generally going to run 40 degrees colder than when it's 90 degrees. But, even if you're getting the best performance during 80 degree weather and the engine is still 160, then that's where you get your best performance - plain and simple. It strikes me as being a little low in the grand scheme of things, but if you've tried a leaner needle setting and the engine doesn't run better, then that's where you tune it.

Too many people try to overthink the tuning process, usually because they believed an absolute statement made by someone that the engine HAS to be within a certain temperature range "OR YOU'RE GOING TO BLOW IT UP!!!!!" The person saying that doesn't know what they're talking about, and there are no absolutes regarding nitro engines, except possibly that they run better when you start them spinning in the right direction. ;o)
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #182
Tech Master

+10000 SteveP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
i have a ninja. I will be going from 30% to 20% also from a p3 to a p4 plug.
Hi.

Why would you use a colder plug, when you go down in nitro? If your Ninja ran great with 30% nitro and a P3 plug, a P4 would be too cold for 20% nitro.

Less nitro = Hotter plug.

More nitro = Colder plug.

Cheers
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #183
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If someone has asked this already sorry, the thread is so big I keep forgetting some things.

I just got my new buggy(rc8 rtr) it's my first nitro car. I tried to do the heat cycle break in, but my cart won't get over 180 with the factory settings. I've ran about 5 tanks through it so far, and have slowly been leaning out the high end. I may have got it about 3/4 turn so far. The idle seems perfect from what I've read, and it seems to have all kinds of power through the entire range. I've been running it in 50-60 degree weather.

Should I worry that my engine won't get in the 200's? Is it going to ruin my pinch if I never get the motot warmed up enough to get a good break in, or is everything alright if the buggy seems to be running good.
bevofrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #184
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wrap some aluminum foil around the cylinder head. That will keep the temps up and allow you to keep the mixture more towards the rich side.
clebo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #185
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

180 is fine

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 AM   #186
Tech Fanatic

The temps are fine, especially for the weather conditions in which you're running. Like I said above, don't overthink the tuning process. When it gets below 50 degrees ambient temperature, then it's time to think about reducing the airflow over the cooling head, but you still just need to tune the engine so it runs strong. If that's at 180 degrees, then that's where it's happy for the current weather conditions. Just don't get alarmed to see it run at 230-240 when the weather gets hot.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #187
Tech Initiate

can someone please tell me how my engine should be sounding when i have a correct tune.

also it would be a great help if u you could explain what it sounds like when the lsn is lean and the hsn is rich and vice versa.

thanks for the info
infernogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:59 AM   #188
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernogt1 View Post
can someone please tell me how my engine should be sounding when i have a correct tune.

also it would be a great help if u you could explain what it sounds like when the lsn is lean and the hsn is rich and vice versa.

thanks for the info
Hi.

I find this video very usefull.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

EDIT: And also this video after Houstons great found in the next post

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Have fun
I miss you Amy...

Last edited by Lille-bror; 04-01-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #189
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

That's a pretty good video lil bror

That should get the guys who are just getting into nitro going for sure !!!
Good find !!! Watch part two of the video also guys , good info for the new guys !!!
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES /RC-OMG USA/ TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #190
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tuning question for the gurus...

Got a new Jammin X-1 truggy with the Ofna Force .28 motor. I seem to be having a problem holding a steady temp. Broke in fine, leaned out the high end needle a little, bottom end was loading up so I leaned the low speed needle out a little also. Got a good idle, and great power throughout with nice trail of smoke. But after about 4-5 minutes, the temp starts slowly creeping up past 250. If I don't back off, it will keep on creeping up. The highest it got before I shut it down was about 285-290. I tried richening the high speed but I lost a bunch of throttle response. Air leak maybe? Kind of trying to figure this one out.
Ferenczy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #191
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferenczy36 View Post
Tuning question for the gurus...

Got a new Jammin X-1 truggy with the Ofna Force .28 motor. I seem to be having a problem holding a steady temp. Broke in fine, leaned out the high end needle a little, bottom end was loading up so I leaned the low speed needle out a little also. Got a good idle, and great power throughout with nice trail of smoke. But after about 4-5 minutes, the temp starts slowly creeping up past 250. If I don't back off, it will keep on creeping up. The highest it got before I shut it down was about 285-290. I tried richening the high speed but I lost a bunch of throttle response. Air leak maybe? Kind of trying to figure this one out.
definitely sounds like an airleak to me , those carbs are not the best . seal it all up and see how it goes
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES /RC-OMG USA/ TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #192
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
definitely sounds like an airleak to me , those carbs are not the best . seal it all up and see how it goes
Thanks. Will tear it down and seal the carb up with some high-temp silicone and then see how it does. I expect to be getting another engine pretty soon to use as a race motor, but hope to get this thing dialed in to use as a practice motor for at least a little while.
Ferenczy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #193
Tech Master

Hi.

I'll make this claim that every engine - no matter prize and brand - will last MANY GALLONS of fuel, if you just threat them right:
· Have A LOT of paintense when you break them in. Keep the HSN just 1/10 lean from 4-stroke.
· Be gentle on the throttle for a few minutes after you have started a well broken in engine, until it comes up in temperature.
· ALWAYS keep (specially) the HSN on the rich side. Start your days racing by turning the HSN 1/8 turn out. After some warm-up laps, lean the HSN 1/10 of a turn, until the engine just runs smooth on the straight.
· After a days racing, run the tank empty of fuel. Remove the tube from the carburator, and try start the engine, until you can't hear any ignition. Drop some after run oil through the carburator and turn the engine on the (pull)-starter.
· Remember to check the airfilter, and ALWAYS use filter oil on the foam

Life is simple.

Cheers
I miss you Amy...

Last edited by Lille-bror; 04-20-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #194
Tech Master

is their any info on tech anywhere for ofna/picco p7 evo3 .21? its the offroad engine.(looking for stock settings)

when i fire it up it will not idle at all until i really start blipping the throttle a good amount to keep it running (idle gap is about 0.5-0.9 mm) at this time its not much smoke at all really coming from the exhaust. but when i put in on the ground and run it, it has smoke but soon as i stop it pretty much just cuts right off. if by chance it does idle for about 3 seconds idle is low.

high and low needle settings are flush.

also did pinch test and its weird it wont idle but when i do the pinch test it idles for longer than it does if i were to just idle it on its own with no input. idle only raises slightly for about 5 secs before it cuts off.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #195
Tech Master

really lost on bottom end cant figure if its lean or rich. it seems lean but when i do pinch test it doesnt cut right off so im lost.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote