R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #151
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroWD View Post
if high idle takes a longer time to drop, it's not as rich as one which the high idle takes a lesser time to drop.
A dropping idle can also be caused by just cooling down the engine which is atomaticly done at idle when getting the right/rich mixture. The cilinder sceezes again giving the piston more friction and so slowing it down.
Depending on the status of the P/S set the effect can be more or less noticeable.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #152
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default relationship between throttle and fuel consumption

question for you guys...

is the fuel being consumed at any given moment proportional to the amount that the throttle is being pulled?

so is there a decent amount of difference in fuel consumption at 1/2 throttle vs full throttle?
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #153
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsp0ken View Post
question for you guys...

is the fuel being consumed at any given moment proportional to the amount that the throttle is being pulled?

so is there a decent amount of difference in fuel consumption at 1/2 throttle vs full throttle?
Proportionally speaking it depends alot on the carburetor and the needle taper being used.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #154
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Proportionally speaking it depends alot on the carburetor and the needle taper being used.
just to make sure i'm understanding correctly...

i think you are saying that there is a relationship between the amount of throttle pull and consumption but the relationship varies depending on the carburetor?
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #155
Tech Master

Hi.

On my plane engines the throttle opening vs rpm is not linear:

Half open throttle = approx. 8500 RPM
Fully open throttle = approx. 12400 RPM

It is not the same type of carburators, but the function is the same.

It makes good sense, that you can drive a car as fast with a modest throttle finger instead of idle/fully open throttle. My guess is that the perhaps last 3000 RPM is the RPM range that really needs A LOT of fuel to achieve.

Cheers

EDIT: I could make some tests next year and calculate the RPM's with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1/1 open throttle. Could be alot of fun
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #156
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille-bror View Post
Hi.

On my plane engines the throttle opening vs rpm is not linear:

Half open throttle = approx. 8500 RPM
Fully open throttle = approx. 12400 RPM

It is not the same type of carburators, but the function is the same.

It makes good sense, that you can drive a car as fast with a modest throttle finger instead of idle/fully open throttle. My guess is that the perhaps last 3000 RPM is the RPM range that really needs A LOT of fuel to achieve.

Cheers

EDIT: I could make some tests next year and calculate the RPM's with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1/1 open throttle. Could be alot of fun
I see rod replacement in your future ;-) LOL
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES /RC-OMG USA/ TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #157
Tech Master

... with the car driving on the track god damn it!
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #158
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille-bror View Post
... with the car driving on the track god damn it!
Easy now , don't get too excited
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES /RC-OMG USA/ TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #159
Tech Rookie

I think this is enough .....
I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way
hadspimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #160
Tech Initiate

Default thanks

hey im new to nitro i just want to say thanks to all the experienced race and tech guys that take the time to post this sort of info its great it may be common knowledge for most but this article probably just saved me 300$ on a motor replacement once again thanks
nathsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #161
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathsp2 View Post
hey im new to nitro i just want to say thanks to all the experienced race and tech guys that take the time to post this sort of info its great it may be common knowledge for most but this article probably just saved me 300$ on a motor replacement once again thanks
Its all about sharing the info to help a fellow racer out

I'm glad you found the article useful

Happy motorin',
Monty
Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #162
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have a HYPER MACH 28 it wont break lean till the motor temps get to 260 and screams went you lean it out by one hour. Thats from on top of the glow plug. There is steady thick smoke trail the hole time. bottom is perfect. The bearing are very smooth. Any advise would be helpfull.

Thanks bigmack
bigmack1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #163
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack1971 View Post
I have a HYPER MACH 28 it wont break lean till the motor temps get to 260 and screams went you lean it out by one hour. Thats from on top of the glow plug. There is steady thick smoke trail the hole time. bottom is perfect. The bearing are very smooth. Any advise would be helpfull.

Thanks bigmack
what kinda temp probe?

you might be sticking the probe wau too deep or the probe is way off.

tune by sound , the engine will let you know if its too lean by bogging on the low speed or the high speed
Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #164
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One temp probe is a fluke other is extech. both are with in a few deq. of each other. The bottom end still has a little bog to it . I like for it to bog a little ,that way i burn the tire off on corners. It sound way too rich , when it sounds great the temps are over 300. Thanks for your info.

Bigmack
bigmack1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #165
Tech Prophet

NOVAROSSI ENGINE TUNING
hsn is the control valve, set the control valve to limit high rpm's first when final race tuning . after doing so go to the lsn and lean until the engine keeps a consistent idle but does not ting when idling or starve for fuel as a quick throttling is applied , that is caused from lack of fuel on lsn . lower the idle until it is as low as you can get it and it will maintain a good safe idle during on track deceleration and on the bench for at the least 20 sec.
after you do the low end you will usually have to richen the hsn about 1-2 hours

there will be a few things that will need to be tweaked slightly but that will get you in the ball park .

OTHER ENGINES TUNE DIFFERENTLY !!!!

from page 1

the needles do effect one another yes , you need to find the proper balance between hsn and lsn , once this is done that balance doesnt change much .

Last edited by houston; 01-19-2010 at 10:09 AM.