R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #1321
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Picco carb gives a snappier throttle response, and never vapor locks, starts back up everytime, this is just in case your pitman runs you out of fuel, specially when running a long main........and YES you should get your "TUNED" engine about noon tomorrow.

p.s. It is not a good idea to mickey mouse your engine.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #1322
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Picco carbs leak guys !!!!!!! Out of 10 Picco's your going to find 3 with a split carb body that will leak and not tune...... This has been an issue with Picco for years and years..... Nobody has been quick enough to catch it tho !!!!! The seam between the composite carb body and the metal end bell is prone to leaking..you need to seal this seem with JB weld or sealant of some kind......... every Picco any of us run has this seem sealed and all our Picco's tune as easy as any other motor............ If you dont seal this seam the motors can be difficult to tune, as the airleak acts much like a Phantom leak..it will only become apparent when the motors gets fully heat soaked,,,,,,you will chase a tune forever till you seal this seem !!
Add me to the list of experienced nitro-heads having exactly this 'phantom leak' symptoms. Came out of nowhere too, when things fail it's not always a cause and effect like moving it from one car to another.
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #1323
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Honestly I love Picco motors and carbs...I own RB,Ninja,OS,Go and Nova motors and I feel strongly the Picco's are the most reliable consistent motors we run... Once the initial carb and setup gremlins are resolved Picco's are simply amazing... Once you have the base tune they hold a tune amazingly well..
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #1324
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I did not notice any change good or bad in performance when using the nova carb. I definitely do not need more bottom end performance. Aside from the carbs working loose sometime, the only thing I notice about my engines is they are very difficult to start when cold. They don't prime easily. I can always get them started, just takes longer than all my other engines did.

Engine runs great... super torque, good top speed and great mileage.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #1325
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Honestly I love Picco motors and carbs...I own RB,Ninja,OS,Go and Nova motors and I feel strongly the Picco's are the most reliable consistent motors we run... Once the initial carb and setup gremlins are resolved Picco's are simply amazing... Once you have the base tune they hold a tune amazingly well..
Picco carbs leak guys !!!!!!! Out of 10 Picco's your going to find 3 with a split carb body that will leak and not tune...... This has been an issue with Picco for years and years..... Nobody has been quick enough to catch it tho !!!!! The seam between the composite carb body and the metal end bell is prone to leaking..you need to seal this seem with JB weld or sealant of some kind......... every Picco any of us run has this seem sealed and all our Picco's tune as easy as any other motor............ If you dont seal this seam the motors can be difficult to tune, as the airleak acts much like a Phantom leak..it will only become apparent when the motors gets fully heat soaked,,,,,,you will chase a tune forever till you seal this seem !!

Maximo
where do seal the carb? I didn't get it
I did the water soap test and I saw no leak

Last edited by jeff1; 04-04-2008 at 12:15 AM.
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #1326
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just bought a red dot. I will have to keep and eye on the carb for leaks. I just started to break it in. Can't wait to hit the track to race.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #1327
Tech Regular

I have this stuff here http://www.homershams.co.nz/a_515.htm Loctite 515
it is good to seal the carb? and where part should I apply?
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #1328
Tech Apprentice

I just got a picco 2607 pipe for my red dot and 710.
It is a REALLY tight fit, the front of the pipe nearly hits the front tire and tie rod. Also, the exhaust mount spring isnt long enough. If I move the front of the pipe outwards it likely will hit the tire and tie rod.
The pipe didnt come with a header to pipe silicone gasket, I had to modify one, and it leaks mostly because the front of the pipe is at a different angle than the header.
Can I just bend the header?
Anyone have the same problems?
suggestions?
Picco 2607 pipe
Dynamite race 20%
gearhead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #1329
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i ran my JL for the first time this weekend. there is alot of oil residue that is all over the carb and block after each time on the track. it is coming out of the air filter and leaving a big mess. there are no leaks just a mess. anyway to prevent this?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #1330
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage View Post
i ran my JL for the first time this weekend. there is alot of oil residue that is all over the carb and block after each time on the track. it is coming out of the air filter and leaving a big mess. there are no leaks just a mess. anyway to prevent this?
Are you sure it is coming out of the air filter? it is more likely from the bottom of the carburetor (where it is installed) try this: Loosen the carburetor pinch bolt and push the carburetor as hard as you can into the crankcase, make sure the oring is pinched by the carb and crankcase before tightening the pinch bolt, also make sure the HSN housing is tight against the carburetor body, these are the areas I commonly see the leakage comes from.
You never had that problem last year when you first run the JL's I sent you correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
I have this stuff here http://www.homershams.co.nz/a_515.htm Loctite 515
it is good to seal the carb? and where part should I apply?
No you can not use that " loctite 515" to seal your carb, it can only be used on metal to metal flanged surfaces, if you want to use a sealant, then use an automotive silicone gasket in a tube made by permatex or Three Bond products, which can be bought from an auto parts store or Motorcycle parts store.

Last edited by Team Kamikaze; 04-07-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #1331
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

no sam. no problems with the other ones. its seem that the rubber mount of my air filter is all oily as well. im pretty sure all is tight as i cut the pinch bolts,but i will check just in case.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #1332
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead13 View Post
It is a REALLY tight fit, the front of the pipe nearly hits the front tire and tie rod. Also, the exhaust mount spring isnt long enough. If I move the front of the pipe outwards it likely will hit the tire and tie rod.
The pipe didnt come with a header to pipe silicone gasket, I had to modify one, and it leaks mostly because the front of the pipe is at a different angle than the header.
suggestions?

LRP 2644 pipe
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #1333
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp Racer View Post
LRP 2644 pipe
I just spent $100 on this pipe
Picco 2607 pipe
Dynamite race 20%
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 AM   #1334
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead13 View Post
suggestions?
I have a RRR, so when I comment, keep that in mind.
The pipe is quite long, so they are a tight fit from hitting the steering linkage.
I obviously can't see what came with your engine, but the exhaust mount spring is on the shorter side, but does fit.
Your pipe only came with one gasket? It should have come with two of the same gaskets. It goes on fairly easily over the engine exhaust outlet, but you have to stretch it over the manifold.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #1335
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
I have a RRR, so when I comment, keep that in mind.
The pipe is quite long, so they are a tight fit from hitting the steering linkage.
I obviously can't see what came with your engine, but the exhaust mount spring is on the shorter side, but does fit.
Your pipe only came with one gasket? It should have come with two of the same gaskets. It goes on fairly easily over the engine exhaust outlet, but you have to stretch it over the manifold.
Really? I am supposed to stretch that little thing over that?
I guess I will head to the hobby shop and try to find some other exhaust mount spring to fit, I broke the old one. I put a straight wire as the exhaust mount for now, at least it will keep the pipe from hitting the front side pulley.
Picco 2607 pipe
Dynamite race 20%