Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 5italkart
mantura models has them, who posted about the tire donuts?
That was me , just Google - UFRA tyres-and that should get you there.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Indy race

yes I attended that race indy ever year they had them from mall parking lot in front and race turn 4 big track and then there perm track back at mall. Count me in and I am willing host: oval race here in Racine next year?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Default I'm just saying!

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Finding a track isn't the problem. Most tracks have moveable infields, and since a lot of tracks already have large sweeps on the backstraight, the job is half done before you start.

The problem is getting people to do it. There aren't too many open wheel bodies that I know of that could be adapted to fit a 4wd properly. Also, most 4wd's are a tad.....delicate.....and the body absorbs a lot of the abuse. With an open wheel body, there's just not enough protection for a 4wd. (This isn't to say that you couldn't still have an oval race for those guys, but with can am bodies...we did that too back in the 80's, still lots of fun.)

The main thing may be tho that so few people have actually done it. I doubt we have very many who've participated in a large oval race, so they have no concept of what it'd be like. It really does sound boring to talk about, but actually doing it, with the passing and the lap times, is just incredible. Insane gearing options that are pokey off the line but really make the car hum in the straights. Not being locked in to running just one particular line. Easier to marshall. We used to have a huge race in Indy every year, not for points (much like the GLC), that always had huge turnout, in racers and in spectators. I've been to a lot of tracks, a lot of races, but never had as much fun as I did at the Indy event. I actually wonder if pan couldn't race competitively against 4wd at such an event.
I'm just saying for the fun of it! Phil, you're nuts! An oval race is all about speed (BTDT) and things happen very fast. That being said, the marshall has to be fast and ready to lay his life on the line to recover a model car. He has to be ready to duck air born cars flying at high speeds as the open wheel car like to help each other over the walls.

We know a 4wd car is all about putting the power to the ground in the turns and while 2wd can only use so much power, the 4wd is always looking for more. In the turns, give the edge to 4wd. We know at the GLC the radar gun is seeing 10 to 15 mph spread between 4wd and our pans going down the back straight. Now you have a fast race with maybe two turns and two straights. Where Phil do you think the 2wd has gained anything on the 4wd?

My point is, Phil, not that you're nuts (which you are) but while both are race cars, they are worlds apart and that's a good thing. Let it be.

As for an oval race, where do I sign up, I too could use some crazy! In years passed, part of the GLC was a crazy all out high speed oval event. Guys were building cars just to run the oval. Something to think about!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
I'm just saying for the fun of it! Phil, you're nuts! An oval race is all about speed (BTDT) and things happen very fast. That being said, the marshall has to be fast and ready to lay his life on the line to recover a model car. He has to be ready to duck air born cars flying at high speeds as the open wheel car like to help each other over the walls.

We know a 4wd car is all about putting the power to the ground in the turns and while 2wd can only use so much power, the 4wd is always looking for more. In the turns, give the edge to 4wd. We know at the GLC the radar gun is seeing 10 to 15 mph spread between 4wd and our pans going down the back straight. Now you have a fast race with maybe two turns and two straights. Where Phil do you think the 2wd has gained anything on the 4wd?

My point is, Phil, not that you're nuts (which you are) but while both are race cars, they are worlds apart and that's a good thing. Let it be.

As for an oval race, where do I sign up, I too could use some crazy! In years passed, part of the GLC was a crazy all out high speed oval event. Guys were building cars just to run the oval. Something to think about!
I'd like an oval only car too.....Lon... Has anyone made 1/8 NASCAR
bodies in the past???.... Or we could shoehorn old 1/8 parts under a Mcallister
oval body..... He has some nice oval stuff... http://www.mcallisterracing.com/index_files/Page801.htm 55 chev and 57 ford

Last edited by Taylorm; 11-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

Default Yes they did

Originally Posted by Taylorm
oval body..... He has some nice oval stuff... http://www.mcallisterracing.com/index_files/Page801.htm 55 chev and 57 ford

Everybody that made bodies in the 70s & 80s had something. I think OFNA has some 1/8th bodies for their dirt oval racing. WRC showed a stock car body in catalog.

Haven't herd from anyone on 3-port yet. We all need to get linked up some how.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

I am in oval race, have open wheel body in mail also seen a post for 3-port in on line hobby shop but wasn't turbo head and was around $236.00
Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Heh

Says you. The two speed on 4wd's is somewhat nullified because we'd already be going full tilt boogie. As for turning, I could do most of the Indy race and rarely back out of the throttle. We'd have the advantage on being able to stagger our tires (forgot about that one, did you) and we weigh less. Just saying, we'd have a chance.

As for marshalling...it's a safe bet most of the oopsies would happen in the corners, and there's only four of 'em. As for "airborne projectiles"....wear a helmet! lol
Old 11-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First club race next year, I will be sporting open wheel body and wing. Just because I can.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gary47
I am in oval race, have open wheel body in mail also seen a post for 3-port in on line hobby shop but wasn't turbo head and was around $236.00
Which body did you get?

Might check with Garen at Motonica, he might still have the non turbo 3-port. Very good motor!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Says you. The two speed on 4wd's is somewhat nullified because we'd already be going full tilt boogie. As for turning, I could do most of the Indy race and rarely back out of the throttle. We'd have the advantage on being able to stagger our tires (forgot about that one, did you) and we weigh less. Just saying, we'd have a chance.

As for marshalling...it's a safe bet most of the oopsies would happen in the corners, and there's only four of 'em. As for "airborne projectiles"....wear a helmet! lol
What ever!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Which body did you get?

Might check with Garen at Motonica, he might still have the non turbo 3-port. Very good motor!
I have ford indy body on the way Was only one he had left to pick from also thinking run off road wing on rear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottE1776
A picture of brothers formula bodied cars from 75-76. I had a similar setup
http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...ed-1-8-car.jpg
great pic,
Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
i have a t bird 1/8th body will send a pic
Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Oval racing in the 90's with some buddies using 1/8th cars on newly paved parking lots in the INDY area was how I got started in this hobby. Nothing formal just a bunch of laughing and fun. Heck, we even talked the lady at the big high banked velodrome to let us run our cars for an hour. My buddy richened up his engine a little and I did not. Yep. I didn't get to use the whole hour. More like 5 minute's before she blew.
Good times! Good times!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

. As for "airborne projectiles"....wear a helmet! lol
..and sandals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.