Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
..And that's the main issue I think.........finding donuts is like looking for dinosaur bones......ain't gonna happen.........BSR blew me off.........must be awesome to have so much business you tell potential customers to go blow themselves....

American companies???....what's this you speak of???.......We have machinists all around an no one can produce a whole car???with half the parts being sourced from 4WD kits?.......man I need a freakin mill
I think if you looked into the companies they are most likely, making 1 prototype then sending out cad designs too mach. source for quote. much nicer stuff can be made and cheaper since 1 operator keeps prob 3 mach. running. molds for those fancy plastic parts are made easily ( I cut one for a real car bumper facia). so us having home mach. is cool but no way can we compete price wise or supply. betcha people like hudy have a years parts made in a month. however we are hobbyist's and making our own stuff is part of the fun. seems only train and plane folks make stuff these days. and all the shops (like mine) are into more profitable stuff. shop rate on one of our good mach. around 150 an hour. bottom line it's all made "off shore"
Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Old School of Design

Originally Posted by azeroth
there lies the rub the worst part IMO would be and is the diff or spur clutch arrangement thou i do like phil's front end
Does "Powell Pod" mean anything to you?
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Default :-)

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
I say simpler. Less expensive. More durable. refine my skills, learn to be less aggressive, then hopefully I'll love it, or Moto will be able to pipeline parts again.

Either way, I want to race on road.
Thanks, That's the kind of input I think will help get something going. Things are starting to come together and I'm finding some possible parts that will really help.

If this works out well, I can see TWO classes. Really cheap (I hope!) Vintage pan cars with direct drive (using modern tires and hopefully with a diff ) AND the CLASSIC Moto type.

We have some information that Moto will comeback and also that many parts are available. Joe has the biggest issue because he needs a diff but there are a number of ways in the works to keep him running. If anyone needs parts to run I suggest you post on here and I'm sure we can try to come up with a solution!

I'm gonna concentrate on a prototype Vintage/Basic Pan car and see what I can come up with on getting drawings made and looking for someone to help source parts. Most of the parts will be so simple that CNC machines won't be needed.

Here's my goal:
1/8th scale Gas powered RC Car
Simple chassis with few parts-minimal adjustments
Uses modern wheel/tire combinations
Spur gear will be small enough to not require "large" rear tires (~5.5:1 ratio)
Ball diff
Disk brake

Comments???
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Thanks, That's the kind of input I think will help get something going. Things are starting to come together and I'm finding some possible parts that will really help.

If this works out well, I can see TWO classes. Really cheap (I hope!) Vintage pan cars with direct drive (using modern tires and hopefully with a diff ) AND the CLASSIC Moto type.

We have some information that Moto will comeback and also that many parts are available. Joe has the biggest issue because he needs a diff but there are a number of ways in the works to keep him running. If anyone needs parts to run I suggest you post on here and I'm sure we can try to come up with a solution!

I'm gonna concentrate on a prototype Vintage/Basic Pan car and see what I can come up with on getting drawings made and looking for someone to help source parts. Most of the parts will be so simple that CNC machines won't be needed.

Here's my goal:
Ball diff
Disk brake

Comments???
That all sounds fine but the only car I'll be producing this year with direct drive will be a SuperJ. If Edam builds a pan car, it'll be cheap enough and with large enough parts support that anyone could have it, and if my build works, I'd be tempted to stick with it. I have no aversion to helping you build something, however...lol....

We already know what vintage will do on the track. Same with Motonica style. Let's wait and see how Matt's car and my build do, then go from there. By the by, feeling a little better today, more likely I'll be up Sunday than not.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:54 AM
Tech Master

This diy project might be interesting. With google translate you get a very good idea what they used.

Some kind of copolymer for the bulkheads and front arms, 7074 aluminium for the podplate and front assembly. Epoxy/carbon plate. The rest are commercial availlable parts. http://www.rc-classique.fr/modules.p...t&bid=7#billet

With some basic 2d cad skills you can make something similar. It will probably be cheaper to just buy a car from the shelf if you don't have all the extra parts yet. A lot less headache as well.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 05-02-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Here's my goal:
Ball diff
Disk brake

Comments???
... Looks like a plan...no Top Fuel
bodies.....
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Here's my goal:
Ball diff
Disk brake

Comments???
i'm going a similar route, all these rainy sundays have helped. making upgrade parts that bolt directly too existing 300 chassis that someone might have. if they do shmuck a part they can replace it. yes like you simple parts. would just like too anodise them for some sort of cool factor. please keep me posted on your clutch/gear research. I like all the different ideas we have floating around. keep up the good work
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Got the answer

Let's develop a car that is powered by 1000 invisible gerbils and for brakes we'll use self retracting drag chutes. I already know what you're thinking....

What pitch are the teeth on the gerbils.....
Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
This diy project might be interesting. With google translate you get a very good idea what they used.

Some kind of copolymer for the bulkheads and front arms, 7074 aluminium for the podplate and front assembly. Epoxy/carbon plate. The rest are commercial availlable parts. http://www.rc-classique.fr/modules.p...t&bid=7#billet

With some basic 2d cad skills you can make something similar. It will probably be cheaper to just buy a car from the shelf if you don't have all the extra parts yet. A lot less headache as well.
thanks for posting that link. I like how they made it just too do it and be creative
Old 05-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Martini Team at Czech Veteran tour (series)

hello again from Czech Republic,
We had a "warmup" before first round of Veteran tour at 1st May. Colleagues from Martini racing team introduced very good cars and nice bodies. So, I must share with you
First round starts at 18th May. I will post some pics and vids. I hope it will be great and funny weekend.
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5013149.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5013150.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5013179.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5013234.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5013190.jpg  

Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OOO...they're running two speeds on their 2WDs....
Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dvondrakcz
We had a "warmup" before first round of Veteran tour at 1st May. Colleagues from Martini racing team introduced very good cars and nice bodies. So, I must share with you
First round starts at 18th May. I will post some pics and vids. I hope it will be great and funny weekend.
Great looking cars and bodies! Wish we could get a group to run scale like liveries!

I guess we need a cars to run first!

Good luck in your racing!!!

Ned
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Default Great Stuff!!

Originally Posted by dvondrakcz
Thank-you dyondrakcz, For taking the time to share this with us. We all love the great looks of these cars and wish your group the best of racing.
As Farmer has noted, the 2spds are something we don't see over here. Here in Toledo, there is a push for INS boxes. I don't think they are all that in 2wd pan as our noise level is not that loud compared to the screaming 4wd cars. These two cars would lose some of their sex appeal if they had big old INS boxes!
GOOD RACING TO ALL!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

Great looking cars and bodies! Wish we could get a group to run scale like liveries!

I guess we need a cars to run first!

Good luck in your racing!!!

Ned
I agree great cars, a big salute too phil and matt for the success of there home brew cars. win or not few people can say they built there own car. also thanks again phil for help with the clutch so I can return too the class and not get beat like a circus monkey trying too run my 4wd. possible run at the mws if I can get things together. I think we should get some pics of our vintage bods for the web site. anyone else get a sun burned neck yesterday?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Default So, Y'all got to actually RACE!!! :-)

Originally Posted by 5italkart
I agree great cars, a big salute too phil and matt for the success of there home brew cars. win or not few people can say they built there own car. also thanks again phil for help with the clutch so I can return too the class and not get beat like a circus monkey trying too run my 4wd. possible run at the mws if I can get things together. I think we should get some pics of our vintage bods for the web site. anyone else get a sun burned neck yesterday?
Congratulations, on you guys finally getting to run! Race Report?

Did you get beaten by the "FrankenMonsters"? What happened with your clutch? Assume it was the Moto....

On the Vintage Pan Car Front:
I have a clutch solution 80% taken care of! (I hope!) Using off-road or Moto style clutch and 9 to 12 tooth gears!!!

Thought I had a source for spur gears but price was out of sight! Any luck with the gear company you found? May have to learn to make them! (Or get Rick to run off 100 or so )

Finishing up a complete car, hope to bring it up to the MWS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.