Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by John Schuster
Oval racing in the 90's with some buddies using 1/8th cars on newly paved parking lots in the INDY area was how I got started in this hobby. Nothing formal just a bunch of laughing and fun. Heck, we even talked the lady at the big high banked velodrome to let us run our cars for an hour. My buddy richened up his engine a little and I did not. Yep. I didn't get to use the whole hour. More like 5 minute's before she blew.
Good times! Good times!
We used to run at the Indy MWS races (80s) in the parking lot right beside the Velodrome. Just walking on it was fun. At the time they wouldn't let anything gas powered on it, in fear of the bikes slipping on an oil spot. That had to have been a blast!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
We used to run at the Indy MWS races (80s) in the parking lot right beside the Velodrome. Just walking on it was fun. At the time they wouldn't let anything gas powered on it, in fear of the bikes slipping on an oil spot. That had to have been a blast!

Yea, I think we got her in trouble. We went back to try it again and she told us that we couldn't get back on the track for that very reason. It was like RC racing at MIS in Michigan. We used Mugen Sting's and Serpent Vector's

I wish IMS would build a track for RC cars inside the infield turn 3. I would like to see the MWS get back to INDY but no one (including myself ) is willing or able to organize it.
I'm just thankful to have found the Cincy crew.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

Talking

WRC - http://www.redrc.net/2013/11/wrc-gt-...c-on-road-kit/

Anxious to get my kits.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ElliotCanada
There goes class of pan car now hang some shocks and two speed than have 2wd car.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Default What's to fear?

Originally Posted by gary47
There goes class of pan car now hang some shocks and two speed than have 2wd car.
Gary, Gary, Gary! What do you see that I don't? I see a nice state of the art pan car. It looks good! I do not see the end of anything. There will be a rush to get this car cause it looks neat. However the older cars will make it prove itself. We'll see if it can stay with an Extreme II. That front end would look nice with a open wheel body, don't you think? Maybe weak?

The car you have is going to show you allot of good times. If you do have a 3-port turbo motor, you're good to go! We're looking forward to racing with you as this class is nothing but Fun!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by John Schuster
Yea, I think we got her in trouble. We went back to try it again and she told us that we couldn't get back on the track for that very reason. It was like RC racing at MIS in Michigan. We used Mugen Sting's and Serpent Vector's

I wish IMS would build a track for RC cars inside the infield turn 3. I would like to see the MWS get back to INDY but no one (including myself ) is willing or able to organize it.
I'm just thankful to have found the Cincy crew.
And that's part of what I just don't get. The Midwest Series used to be a lot bigger, we had a great club in Columbus (MORCAR, Pete Warnick, president), and now in the largest city in Ohio, there is no club.

Even stranger is that there is no club in Indy. Year after year, Indy had the best drivers in America. Art Carbonell reguarly attended races there, and ran with the likes of Jack Mueller, Don Shreve, Bruce Oakley, and Bob Leckron, just to name a few. They had the best track, the best facillities, and the best drivers. And now there is no club. It even had great location, being central to the series, and usually had the best attendance. When I got back into this hobby of ours, I was shocked there was no Indy club.

(Personal note of no particular interest...Bruce Oakley was a mortician. At Halloween parties, he reguarly dressed up as Death, sickle and all. Another guy, whose name I unfortunately can't remember, was hilarious to watch. Real tall black dude, he was a NEUROSURGEON, and his knees would shake a mile a minute when he was on the stand and doing well. Apparently driving toy cars got to him more than operating on peoples brains! Rick might remember him, he ran an Associated with an OPS and was the only guy I knew that had the engine mounted laying down. He usually pitted with Bob Apelle, another huge dude who drank beer like I drink pepsi.)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Gary, Gary, Gary! What do you see that I don't? I see a nice state of the art pan car. It looks good! I do not see the end of anything. There will be a rush to get this car cause it looks neat. However the older cars will make it prove itself. We'll see if it can stay with an Extreme II. That front end would look nice with a open wheel body, don't you think? Maybe weak?

The car you have is going to show you allot of good times. If you do have a 3-port turbo motor, you're good to go! We're looking forward to racing with you as this class is nothing but Fun!
We're thinking we were going the wrong way with our build.

We didn't have all the flex we would have liked...originally set the mounting for our front bulkheads at the same spacing as on a SuperJ, and the SuperJ has great flex. Of course, it also has a greater span of chassis to flex as opposed to our build.

We've considered building our version of an "articulated" front end. We didn't want to go that route, partly because it is like suspension, and partly because it's inherently fragile and not so great for the newbie.

Re-looking at it yesterday, during one of my brief bouts of health and mobility, we're thinking maybe we were looking at it the wrong way, and can still get the flex we need out of the chassis without use of a "suspension plate", if instead of two bulkheads, we have one central bulkhead, with outriggers to support the main front axle in case of accidental impact (or in Lon's case, intentional impact.)

In theory, this should work and at a minimum still be more durable than the current WRC build. Question is, is the hypothesis right? Thoughts and comments appreciated....
Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Another guy, whose name I unfortunately can't remember, was hilarious to watch. Real tall black dude, he was a NEUROSURGEON, and his knees would shake a mile a minute when he was on the stand and doing well. Apparently driving toy cars got to him more than operating on peoples brains! Rick might remember him, he ran an Associated with an OPS and was the only guy I knew that had the engine mounted laying down. He usually pitted with Bob Apelle, another huge dude who drank beer like I drink pepsi.)[/QUOTE]

Phil
You're remebering Dennis Harris (who I only thought of as regular height - guess it's all perspective ), who became a very successful Radiologist I shudder to think you concluded he was a surgeon , and your are wrong Bob Appelle drank more Miller than we drank Pepsi , had to quit drinking a few years ago and they laid off the route driver. FYI still friends with Bob - he races slot cars with us during the winter.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1

We didn't have all the flex we would have liked...originally set the mounting for our front bulkheads at the same spacing as on a SuperJ, and the SuperJ has great flex. Of course, it also has a greater span of chassis to flex as opposed to our build.

We've considered building our version of an "articulated" front end. We didn't want to go that route, partly because it is like suspension, and partly because it's inherently fragile and not so great for the newbie.

Re-looking at it yesterday, during one of my brief bouts of health and mobility, we're thinking maybe we were looking at it the wrong way, and can still get the flex we need out of the chassis without use of a "suspension plate", if instead of two bulkheads, we have one central bulkhead, with outriggers to support the main front axle in case of accidental impact (or in Lon's case, intentional impact.)

In theory, this should work and at a minimum still be more durable than the current WRC build. Question is, is the hypothesis right? Thoughts and comments appreciated....

After looking at the other current pan cars they all seem to be built with a grommet front end.

Looking over old roar rules for pan it seems the weight is
2270, for 1/8th pan

Anyways I look at it like this build and race what you want we have a basic set of rules that most of us agree on. Most being the key with that we can all do our best to meet these rules loose how every they may be

its going to be 2014 using modern pan cars that meet the idea of the class how they race it over see's is what it is.

Think of it like this showing up to a modern F1 race with a car you built or picked up from 1982 and it not having all the innovations that have developed over the last oh say 30 years and not being possibly as fast well that what it is.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ElliotCanada
Cannot wait I really hope to pick one up right now id say there is a 80% chance or greater

That and a budget 5 port motor shown some where in this thread trying to keep to the spirit of the class and not use the 4wd motors no matter how many used ones I have laying around.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

And that's part of what I just don't get. The Midwest Series used to be a lot bigger, we had a great club in Columbus (MORCAR, Pete Warnick, president), and now in the largest city in Ohio, there is no club.

Even stranger is that there is no club in Indy. Year after year, Indy had the best drivers in America. Art Carbonell reguarly attended races there, and ran with the likes of Jack Mueller, Don Shreve, Bruce Oakley, and Bob Leckron, just to name a few. They had the best track, the best facillities, and the best drivers. And now there is no club. It even had great location, being central to the series, and usually had the best attendance. When I got back into this hobby of ours, I was shocked there was no Indy club.

(Personal note of no particular interest...Bruce Oakley was a mortician. At Halloween parties, he reguarly dressed up as Death, sickle and all. Another guy, whose name I unfortunately can't remember, was hilarious to watch. Real tall black dude, he was a NEUROSURGEON, and his knees would shake a mile a minute when he was on the stand and doing well. Apparently driving toy cars got to him more than operating on peoples brains! Rick might remember him, he ran an Associated with an OPS and was the only guy I knew that had the engine mounted laying down. He usually pitted with Bob Apelle, another huge dude who drank beer like I drink pepsi.)
No buddy could out drink Marker boys Dell Fisher and bud went to the nats in ca, drove there none stop except pee and 5 cases of beer
Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Put the flex on the rear, not the front. Your design is perfectly suited to that. The increase in rear traction out of the corners will be a big advantage.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Default DeltaPlasitkUSA

Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Taylorm
http://deltaplastikusa.com/index.php?route=common/home
They now have a site...but not all the same offerings on the Italian site......
The site is new, we just had our soft launch last week. We will be offering everything that Delta Plastik Italy has. We will be working over the next couple of weeks to make sure that all of the content gets added. Email Ben at [email protected] if you don't see what you need. It can be special ordered if it is not in stock, it usually takes about 6 weeks.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
Cannot wait I really hope to pick one up right now id say there is a 80% chance or greater

That and a budget 5 port motor shown some where in this thread trying to keep to the spirit of the class and not use the 4wd motors no matter how many used ones I have laying around.
What?...you quittin 4 wheel??....RULE # 482.....NO ringers in the PAN CLASS........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.