R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-02-2004, 09:02 PM   #11851
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER
The 710 has a pretty much tall gear ratio then other nitro cars so you may want to try the stock gearing at first then go from there. Also what motor you are running will make a factor on gear ratio to go with.
Agreed with what Punisher has mentioned. I would go with stock gearing and see how the car performs. Note also the tire diameter used and see if the gearing is enough, too little or too much that you overshoot the corners.

How high the engine can rev coupled to the pipe would determine gearing for me. If my engine could rev very high, I would gear down (use bigger spurs and smaller pinions for 1st and 2nd gear) to take advantage of the high revving engine. If your engine has a lot of torque and it's more bottom end, you might want to gear taller to take advantage of the extra torque the engine / pipe can produce as well as make up for lack of high end speed at the back of the 180 ft straight. That's the general rule. But how much you should gear down or up would depend on the track at the end of the day.

That said, ideal top speed (which depends on gearing) also heavily depends on the tire diameter that you use (overall tire rollout) assuming you use foam tires...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:12 PM   #11852
Tech Elite

D there is an article on myTSN which details Novarossi glow plugs and the difference between standard, gold and special glow plugs. You have any links for it?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #11853
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Red shoe

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
Hi, I have not tried the one set screw and yes it is the flyweights that I cut, not the shoes.
Ooophs, my bad. The flyweights looked thin. So I thought it was from the clutch shoes. For me, I thought that the cut flyweights performed better than the flyweights made from the clutch shoes. Both without the set screws. Just a feeling.

And I thought that if you hang and pivot the flyweight (with set screw at the end) as per the manual on the flywheel pole, the axial force / pressure coming from the flyweight is always coming more from the edge of the flyweights as oppose to axial force / pressure coming direct from the complete flyweight piece when you install them in between the post.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:19 PM   #11854
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
D there is an article on myTSN which details Novarossi glow plugs and the difference between standard, gold and special glow plugs. You have any links for it?
Damn. I think that guy who wrote that article (Rob Kuijper) left for Kyosho and took all the articles with him !

Anyway, I believe a copy of that has been put into the 710 FAQ. Download it and check it out. Page 20.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #11855
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Damn. I think that guy who wrote that article (Rob Kuijper) left for Kyosho and took all the articles with him !

Anyway, I believe a copy of that has been put into the 710 FAQ. Download it and check it out. Page 20.
OK got it thanks. I am going to run a 45 minute final soon and I was wondering which plugs had the iridium in them to help against vibrations. Got my answer.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #11856
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
OK got it thanks. I am going to run a 45 minute final soon and I was wondering which plugs had the iridium in them to help against vibrations. Got my answer.
Just curious. What has iridium got to do with vibrations?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:39 PM   #11857
Tech Elite

Quote:
Just curious. What has iridium got to do with vibrations?
The standard "special" novarossi plugs have a slightly different balance of platnium to iridium which is supposed to (I have absolutely no evidence to back this up) resist the long term engine vibrations and heat better.

They are designated #5S rather than #5 or #5G.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:12 PM   #11858
Tech Adept

What do I need to do to fit a lola body in this car?
rodrigo1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:33 PM   #11859
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by rodrigo1508
Impact lower bumber and Kyosho V1RR wide lola bumper that you will only need the upper part. If you mount the body post on Impact lower bumper, there is a very good change that you wont finish the race
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:24 PM   #11860
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by rodrigo1508
For mounting Lola, Serpent has these 3 things for the 710;

802202 Shock tower front Lola
802208 Lola bumper plate
802209 Lola bumper

Out of the above, only the front shock tower has come out. The rest is still not out yet. Don't know when.

At the mean time, if you do not want to get the front shock tower for the Lola, you could cut out holes on the front part of the Lola shell to let the existing stock CF shock towers protrude out. You may need to trim the existing foam bumper shorter so that they fit under the body correctly if you do not want to get the Impact / 705 Lola bumper like what Pyramid has suggested.

If you have the Frewer version of the Loletta body, then you do not need to cut any holes for the shock towers. They fit fine because the front part of the Loletta shell is higher.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #11861
Tech Fanatic

D,
I didn't compare the KO 2343 and 2344 for myself.
I asked Josh Cyrul about it, and this is what he said.

PSI Racing - I prefer the higher torque in my gas cars. I used to always choose the speed for the steering but after I tested a few different servos I then opted for the high torque as I liked the feel - less twitchy off center but it did seem to have more steering in the higher speed (higher load) corners. I'm not sure what Ralph uses...
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:30 AM   #11862
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
If you are expecting on by Xmas then I would suggest you to plat a hold on it since the trend kind of go this way:

Assuming from the previous example from the company

710 R coming out in 3 months
715 will be introduced in 4 1/2 months
715R coming out as a hop up version in 6 months
710 has been announced discontinue.
725 probably coming out by then!

So if you are expecting to get one by Xmas then you might not be able to find any parts since 725 is already on the way to hit the shore!
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:37 AM   #11863
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by FW05R
Well these guys predictions haven't come true, have they We should have all have driven our 715Rs to death by now and be eagerly awaiting the new 725 and reminising over the discontinuation of the original 710
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #11864
Tech Prophet

Default Texas Biggie Setup

Has anybody seen Brandon McNally's setup yet at mytsn?

Interesting that he used front solid axle. Looking at the setup with 45 degree front sway bar, the rear roll center, softer rear tire, it seems they were looking for rear traction and does not seem they need a lot of off power steering on the track. I may be wrong.

Comments on the engine performance were "Very good Clutch set-up black weights non pivot with 3 holes 2.5mm 1/8 spring with black shoe." That would mean the flyweights mounted in between the flywheel poles, black shoe, the harder Centax II spring. But not too sure what "3 holes 2.5 mm means"... Does it mean 3 holes with 2.5 mm diameter were drilled per flyweight or each flyweight already had a hole (stock flyweight has one 2.5 mm diameter hole to pivot on the flywheel pole if I'm not mistaken)?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:47 AM   #11865
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Texas Biggie Setup

Quote:
Has anybody seen Brandon McNally's setup yet at mytsn?

Interesting that he used front solid axle. Looking at the setup with 45 degree front sway bar, the rear roll center, softer rear tire, it seems they were looking for rear traction and does not seem they need a lot of off power steering on the track. I may be wrong.

Comments on the engine performance were "Very good Clutch set-up black weights non pivot with 3 holes 2.5mm 1/8 spring with black shoe." That would mean the flyweights mounted in between the flywheel poles, black shoe, the harder Centax II spring. But not too sure what "3 holes 2.5 mm means"... Does it mean 3 holes with 2.5 mm diameter were drilled per flyweight or each flyweight already had a hole (stock flyweight has one 2.5 mm diameter hole to pivot on the flywheel pole if I'm not mistaken)?
Hmm, dunno what is meant by that - sounds almost as if they had drilled three holes in the weights - as you suggested.

Strangely enough the racer is marked as Art Carbonell
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote