Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 03:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: The New JP 2004 blue heads are in

Originally posted by Schrijver99
Ceramic Bearings are optionel
Yeah, I know. Saw it on the website. That's why I asked. Just wanted to know if they had those engines with ceramic bearings option in stock.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cyba888
I hope this question is not too personal....just wondering how old is everyone on this 710 forum? Seems to me most of us are adults?
Mark is the youngest here ! He acts his age.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by BaxterC
I didnt, but I can tell ypu that I it is a third of what I would have paid here in this country. I can tell you, I will be here a while... I dont want to open a shop, I want to race!!! and then I want to travel the world and race... I will see you guys soon, not next year, the year after, in 2006!!!
Baxter, just a suggestion. Since you guys pay a premium for RC stuff over there, why not make some dough for yourself by importing foam tires for example and selling them at the trackside?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
Mark is the youngest here ! He acts his age.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

im only 13 years old
Old 03-26-2004, 03:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Baxter, just a suggestion. Since you guys pay a premium for RC stuff over there, why not make some dough for yourself by importing foam tires for example and selling them at the trackside?
Dee, you and I think alike... I have already been enquiring, I am waiting (2 weeks) for monotuning to let me know if they will let me distribute, I doubt it, I am looking for some GREAT tires to sell, but I want to get into the scene first as I am not sure what the demand is and also I will need to get the RIGHT stuff... for the guys. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:13 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The New JP 2004 blue heads are in

Yeah, I know. Saw it on the website. That's why I asked. Just wanted to know if they had those engines with ceramic bearings option in stock.
Don't think so, becausse The Border isn't a official distributor of JP.
In Holland, Modelsport Hoofddorp is the official distributor (my LHS) See also at JP internet site:JP Distributors
Old 03-26-2004, 03:16 AM
Tech Regular

[B]Are you referring to the effect of the Ackerman angle (difference between the outside and inside wheel angle) on using the UJ / dogbone[B]
Nope... let me rephrase it. Every driveshaft has two universal joints; both ends of the dogbone. If you replace one of those by a CVD (there are no driveshafts for RC with CVDs on both sides of the 'dogbone'), the drivetrain actually gets less smooth! That's because with 2 UJs the (here we go again lol) SIN function the first UJ introduces to de dogbone is evened out by the second UJ.

I'll try to find some reading on this... I have some but it's in Dutch and it's in a college book.

[B]So from what you're saying in the sentence above is that you would neither want a CVD nor a UJ in your car?[B]
A UJ is basicly the same as a dogbone fixed inside de wheelaxle. It does nothing but prevent you from losing your dogbone in a crash. But if they placed the pin inside the wheelaxle wrong it's actually two times worse than a single UJ regarding smoothness. Hopefully they got that right at 3racing, I haven't seen pics of the inside.
But then I hear 3racing UJs may not be that good a quality and if thats so... I don't want them. If Serpent has Hudy make spring steel UJ's... I'll be flying to the store.

And I think you got me wrong on the 'output speed'. If the diff rotates at 5000rpm, so will the dogbone and wheel. The diff and dogbone will still complete a single rev in the same time. To put it very exaggerated; while the diff outdrive has constant rotating speed, the dogbone may stand still half the time and move twice the speed the other half.

I hope I'm not confusing everyone here...
Old 03-26-2004, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by KevinS
All i can say is: Great info, thx. More great minds are coming to R/C Tech every time
Old 03-26-2004, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

I also have a stainless steel brakedisk on the way, and racing brake pads,
I heard or read somewhere the racing brake pads work better with the stock brake disk and the stock brake pads work better with the ventilated disk. Has anyone tried it all?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by cyba888
I hope this question is not too personal....just wondering how old is everyone on this 710 forum? Seems to me most of us are adults?
We're all kids... we play with """ TOY CARS """ remember?
(Hate it wen they call my babies that )
Old 03-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by KevinS
And I think you got me wrong on the 'output speed'. If the diff rotates at 5000rpm, so will the dogbone and wheel. The diff and dogbone will still complete a single rev in the same time. To put it very exaggerated; while the diff outdrive has constant rotating speed, the dogbone may stand still half the time and move twice the speed the other half.

I know what you mean, I 'THINK' it may be refered to as backlash... basically, it is when the diff turnes, there is play between the pin in the dogbone, and the 'cup' wall, this slack is taken up and will 'flick' (For lack of a better word) the dogbone into motion and the dogbone will take up the slack in the same way on the wheel side... this happenes a number of times before the car begins moving, and then happens when you brake... when the drivetrain wears, this gets worse... I hope this makes sense to you all....
Old 03-26-2004, 03:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I know what you mean, I 'THINK' it may be refered to as backlash... basically, it is when the diff turnes, there is play between the pin in the dogbone, and the 'cup' wall, this slack is taken up and will 'flick' (For lack of a better word) the dogbone into motion and the dogbone will take up the slack in the same way on the wheel side... this happenes a number of times before the car begins moving, and then happens when you brake... when the drivetrain wears, this gets worse... I hope this makes sense to you all....
When it comes to a universal, this is eliminated on one side, but you will need a universal on the diff side too to get the best reaction, but it will need a telescopic tybe shat as the distance between the wheel and the diff changes slightly with suspension travel
Old 03-26-2004, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Play is an issue, yes! And that would be another pro for fixed UJs.

But this has to do with position of the pin and the angle the dogbone has with the wheelaxle and diff outdrive. The smaller that angle (where 180 is straight, 90 perpendicular) the worse this effect gets.

To get the idea, take a wheelaxle with you left hand, insert a dogbone with your right and bend them in the smallest angle you can. Then rotate the dogboner. Does the wheelaxle rotate smooth?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

Err.. dogbone... not... dogboner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.