Thaasman's the man !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #3002
Tech Elite

Default Re: 100th Page

Quote:
Originally posted by Diesel Racer
Well I might as well be on it too!

Almost had the money to buy my new 710, but the bloody tax man has taken it instead!!!!!!!!
Bummer!

Diesel, its that time of year for most of us. I'm dreading seeing my tax bill so I'm skipping the country!
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #3003
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Pit-racer
When I get the 710 what are the things I should know b4 starting to build? Are the book settings and assembly instru. all o.k.?

100th page!
Pit-racer ... the book settings are OK from my tests.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #3004
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 09:24 PM   #3005
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Pit-racer ... the book settings are OK from my tests.
The only thing I would want to worry about and check is the steering linkage. Some say using the measurement on the manual suites them (44.5 mm) but others like myself will need to trim the ball cups as well as the linkage rod to shorten it down to 39.5 mm so that you get equal left and right steering throw.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:25 PM   #3006
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

okay I hate to get technical here but ackerman is not bump steer, moving the arms up or down in the same location will change how the front toe reacts through the suspension movement, to change ackerman you need to change mounting positions, like shorter or longer arms, this also would require a new servo saver to compensate for the different angle created between the two side.. the 710 has fixed ackerman.. but you can adjust bump steer by moving the arm mount form top to bottom, and in on and off road bump steer is usually never considered a good thing....

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #3007
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ammdrew
okay I hate to get technical here but ackerman is not bump steer, moving the arms up or down in the same location will change how the front toe reacts through the suspension movement, to change ackerman you need to change mounting positions, like shorter or longer arms, this also would require a new servo saver to compensate for the different angle created between the two side.. the 710 has fixed ackerman.. but you can adjust bump steer by moving the arm mount form top to bottom, and in on and off road bump steer is usually never considered a good thing....
Thank you Ammdrew, I couldn't figure it out-you have cleared it up for me.
clmbia45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:39 PM   #3008
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
I know it is supplied with every 1st speed pinion though.
Just to reiterate, Julius is right. Just checked my LHS yesterday. The new packaging of the 1st gear pinions include the thin aluminum spacer shim. The older and earlier batches of the 1st gear pinion packaging did not include this.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:36 AM   #3009
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
The only thing I would want to worry about and check is the steering linkage. Some say using the measurement on the manual suites them (44.5 mm) but others like myself will need to trim the ball cups as well as the linkage rod to shorten it down to 39.5 mm so that you get equal left and right steering throw.
I'd go with the 39.5mm or more. I tried the 44.5 but the rod hits the servo horn real bad.
crashed_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:57 AM   #3010
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by crashed_1
I'd go with the 39.5mm or more. I tried the 44.5 but the rod hits the servo horn real bad.
Ummm, I thought you mentioned that you followed the manual measurements and was a perfect fit with the KO servos? So you've shortened yours too?
Old 01-16-2004, 03:18 AM   #3011
Tech Prophet

Default Shock Oil and Piston Hole Relation

Rene / Julius or anybody,

Is 35wt shock oil with 4 holes the same as 40wt shock oil with 5 holes in terms of shock damping?

How does the 5 hole shock (the fifth hole being 1.2 mm in diameter if I'm not mistaken) throw into the equation? Why was this done? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:26 AM   #3012
Tech Elite

Quote:
I'm doing the same thing.

Had it by the book and it was good enough but last night I finally put the car on the Hudy set-up system and confirmed what D has been trying to re-interate in this forum.

Clearly, going by the book, there's more steering throw on one side compared to the other. Cut the linkage down to 39.5!
Old 01-16-2004, 03:45 AM   #3013
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ummm, I thought you mentioned that you followed the manual measurements and was a perfect fit with the KO servos? So you've shortened yours too?
Using 44.5mm on a KO servo gives perfect centering...no subtrimming and stuff...just the linkage scrubbing the horns quite badly on a full throw...using the shorter alternative solves the scrubbing and saves the servo from working overtime...
crashed_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:03 AM   #3014
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Michael's Setup Sheet for Srinakarin Track in Thailand

Quote:
This is what Bruno Heeramans has got to say about Ackerman...

A large Ackermann angle (ball joints above the servo saver) gives you smooth, predictable steering. You'll be able to round the corners nicely without all four tires trying to force the car in a different direction. A smaller Ackermann angle (ball joints below the servo saver) on the other hand can give you more aggressive steering, aspecially entering the corners. However, it isn't guaranteed that the front won't wash out now and then. Neither is a smooth cornering radius. It can be useful an high-traction tracks, if your car tends to oversteer in the middle of the corners, and you'd like a little more turn-in. Not to mention the psychological impact on the person driving right in front of you when you're entering corners.
Yeah i read that article couple of times.

Larger ackerman will make you turns smoother than the smaller one... yes I agree.
But smooth is not means tight.. right?
10 deg. split I just think is too much if we want to take tight corner in a faster manner. Initial coming in (off throttle) the car is very smooth, when partial throttle applied the (my) car is off line so much. If full throtle applied seems like we never have enough steering.
First, I thought it was not enough traction on outside tire but not much change as I softer the front spring and even using lower shore. Release the front bar do help much but off throttle oversteer sometimes came up.
Could be my wrong setup though...

D, have you ever heard any optional part to change this ackerman thingy ?
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:12 AM   #3015
Tech Elite

Quote:
Using 44.5mm on a KO servo gives perfect centering...no subtrimming and stuff...just the linkage scrubbing the horns quite badly on a full throw...using the shorter alternative solves the scrubbing and saves the servo from working overtime...
Really?! I'm using a KO2343 servo and after putting some shims, I got rid of the rubbing.

I still had more throw on one side compared to the other though. Its not obvious looking at it but on the Hudy you could read the graduations and it clearly shows the difference from one side to the other.