R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-10-2003, 10:37 PM   #166
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
Because when look it very carefully, the spur diameter is still big relatively to the carbon stiffener height.
I'm guessing here but I think the diameters of the spurs are the same (or close) to the original ones. In order to cram in more teeth in the spur, I think the large spur size is needed. Besides, the clutchbell (lightened option) looks like the one that is available for the current Centax II. I think these new Centax III pinions are a direct fit on the older clutchbells too. It could be that you could upgrade to these 0.8 module gearings (spurs and pinions) without problems on the older cars and perhaps slap in on the 950 like what Surikarn did to his MRX-3 with the 0.8 module gearings from the MTX-3.

Somebody mentioned here that the 1st gear spur is like more than 60 teeth. Roughly calculating the number of teeth per 1/3 of the circular quadrant, I've came to a figure of 22 teeth. So my guess is that the total 1st gear spur should have about 66 teeth. The 1st gear pinion is 18T. In order to hit a final drive ratio of say 8.0, the internal ratio should be somewhere about 2.1 to 2.2. Well, these are just some conjured numbers and not necessarily true...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:42 PM   #167
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default fmolzer

To fmolzer:

yes, you are correct. Next time, i shall find someplace else to talk about subjects not very relevant to the topic.

I apologize for trailing off.

Oops, forgot to put the "I" there
haha
dont misunderstand

Last edited by B; 11-11-2003 at 01:00 AM.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:31 PM   #168
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I'm guessing here but I think the diameters of the spurs are the same (or close) to the original ones. In order to cram in more teeth in the spur, I think the large spur size is needed.
Somebody mentioned here that the 1st gear spur is like more than 60 teeth. Roughly calculating the number of teeth per 1/3 of the circular quadrant, I've came to a figure of 22 teeth. So my guess is that the total 1st gear spur should have about 66 teeth. The 1st gear pinion is 18T. In order to hit a final drive ratio of say 8.0, the internal ratio should be somewhere about 2.1 to 2.2. Well, these are just some conjured numbers and not necessarily true...
...make sense to me.
But correct me if Im wrong, im no algebra expert : in order to achieve a "slower-rate power tranny" like S99(sorry) says, the internal ratio should be around 2.5~3. If it still 2~2.2 (current 705) the 2speed shaft is still turns in relatively higher speed comparing to other car.

Im very happy to see the front diff pulley is being bigger , but when I see the counter(mid Pulley) is still around 16-17T, I hate that so much I think a kevlar belted is no good to turn at such small diameter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg centertop.jpg (32.0 KB, 198 views)
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:40 PM   #169
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up Re: fmolzer

Quote:
Originally posted by B
To fmolzer:

yes, you are correct. Next time, i shall find someplace else to talk about subjects not very relevant to the topic.

Apologize for trailing off.
I think with statement like this, this thread wil kept going..., and going.. and going..
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:47 PM   #170
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: fmolzer

Quote:
I think with statement like this, this thread wil kept going..., and going.. and going..
Viva la Serpent !
Old 11-10-2003, 11:52 PM   #171
Tech Prophet

Quote:
...make sense to me.
But correct me if Im wrong, im no algebra expert : in order to achieve a "slower-rate power tranny" like S99(sorry) says, the internal ratio should be around 2.5~3. If it still 2~2.2 (current 705) the 2speed shaft is still turns in relatively higher speed comparing to other car.
There are 2 ways of looking at it. Pushing up the internal ratio to get higher final drive ratio or have the necessary spurs and pinions do it for you...

If what I'm guessing about the internal ratio is correct, you only need to have large spurs (or smaller pinions, which is not the case if you're having 0.8 module gearing) to push up the final drive ratio. Still, I believe 18T on a 0.8 module pinion is small. I see Kyosho, Mugen and even NTC3 having the smallest pinion as 20T.

Quote:
Im very happy to see the front diff pulley is being bigger , but when I see the counter(mid Pulley) is still around 16-17T, I hate that so much I think a kevlar belted is no good to turn at such small diameter.
Looks can be deceiving. Only time will tell when the car is fully announced to the public ! Yeah, bigger front pulley can only mean that the internal ratio is changed.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:05 AM   #172
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by B
To fmolzer:

Apologize for trailing off.
I don't see the problem here. As long as it is relevant (710), it can be talked about here. Whether or not someone will buy the car does not make a difference.I would say that the quality of serpent is very relevant to the topic. I think serpent has awesome quality. My impulse never developed slop in its three years under my control.

At this point, there are nothing but opinions on the design. We can't make anything more or less because we don't own one yet.

This forum is advertising right now more than anything else.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:09 AM   #173
Tech Master

For me I have to say that, despite being a newbie in GP cars, I will state that the best designed and handling cars are still your Kyosho Evo (not driven one yet), Mugen MTX3 and Serpent 705 (not in order ok). The TC3 is a great car but for the fragility.

Looking at the 710 I admire the way they have brought in some useful gimmicks (quick change gear box). The so called ART is a false description, it is not active, this is passive unlike what you had in F1 cars back in the late 80's. I can understand how it works, hence the need for 3 rear arms. Its like how the car will give more camber when the springs load up. This is a brilliant piece of work on Serpent's part!

This car has definately taken RC car technology to a new level. We are now talking technical/mechanical engineering wars between car maker! No more your titanium and make the car lighter issues, its now down to pure technology.
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:19 AM   #174
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by tIANcI
The so called ART is a false description, it is not active, this is passive unlike what you had in F1 cars back in the late 80's.
Sorry for the nit picking... Active is used because its constantly changing.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:24 AM   #175
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
My impulse never developed slop in its three years under my control.
The Impulse PRO was my first RC car ! When under my control (or rather not under my control at those "early" years ), the car still had original front and rear buklheads, rear lower and upper arms, rear knuckles, front upper and lower right arms (left front arms broken due to hard crash and both left and right front knuckles have been changed too) till today. None developed slop.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:28 AM   #176
Tech Master

Quote:
Sorry for the nit picking... Active is used because its constantly changing.
Sorry ... the term active is used when it is not merely mechanical. There are sensors that will control it, active does not mean constantly changing. That is what they use in the F1 industry.

See this as an example of active suspension --> http://www-control.eng.cam.ac.uk/gww...is_active.html

They used actuators.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:41 AM   #177
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by tIANcI
Sorry ... the term active is used when it is not merely mechanical. There are sensors that will control it, active does not mean constantly changing. That is what they use in the F1 industry.
Active here means just that. The wheel toe in changes in accordance to the suspension of the car. Can we call this passive? Whether it's changed by means of actuators or by way of the inherent design of the wheel hubs and knuckles, it's still active and not passive.

In this case when we're talking small 1/10 scale cars, we don't expect their suspension to be controlled by actuators and solenoids and having F1 technology in it, don't we?
Old 11-11-2003, 12:57 AM   #178
Tech Adept

An "Active" suspension would set its self up for the part of the track it was about to encounter.

I think the true term for serpents system is "Reactive"

The suspension "reacts" to the position of the rear arm.

If I remember correctly this is what schumacher used on the front of their 2wd buggies.

It reduced castor when the suspension compressed so that the car had more off power steering but it added castor when it extended to give more on power steering.
Bob The Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:03 AM   #179
Tech Master

Quote:
Active here means just that. The wheel toe in changes in accordance to the suspension of the car. Can we call this passive? Whether it's changed by means of actuators or by way of the inherent design of the wheel hubs and knuckles, it's still active and not passive.

In this case when we're talking small 1/10 scale cars, we don't expect their suspension to be controlled by actuators and solenoids and having F1 technology in it, don't we?
Actually in the motor industry when it is a mere mechanical system of pulleys and levers it is known as a passive system. Active is when then is a 'smart' system what constantly calibrates and makes the adjustments. Hehehe ... the net is fun for arguing ...
Old 11-11-2003, 01:13 AM   #180
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

well i guess i have been using active camber for the pass couple of years and never realize it. damn now i have something to brag about
Data is offline   Reply With Quote