Serpent 710

Old 09-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Advice

Originally posted by lirpa
WHy is it a few people who races 1/10 touring cars seldom uses OS engines like the OS TR. What they usually fit in a Serpent710, R40 or an MTX-3 is a Novarossi, Sirio or an RB engine. Is the OS TR engine really outperformed by its Italian counterpart in all aspects? or is it just they prefer newly released engines? Im currently trying to bring life to a Kyoho V1RR and an OS TR engine to power it. With this, will my car be able to give a fight with the big guys in terms of speed and handling? Of course driving skills is a different story.. thanks...........
At the moment, I'm kinda leaning toward to the 12TR ZAC Project engine. I'll be the first to grab one once they're available in my LHS.

I've seen that engine can idle forever and easier to tune. One thing that concerns me is its the durability, though.
One of my Nova engines had gone thru 10 gallons, it'd lost bottom end power, yet it could still keep up on the back straight.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Re: Advice

Originally posted by redsand
At the moment, I'm kinda leaning toward to the 12TR ZAC Project engine. I'll be the first to grab one once they're available in my LHS.
Hi,

By availability of that engine, I wonder if there is already confirmation on Kawahara Cup - Indonesia 2004?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

I told you not to hold your breath till that event actually taking place, didnt I ? hahahaha....
Old 09-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: whats on the way

Originally posted by packetdreamer
we should make a holiday for all our understanding mates. and on the holiday what we can do is pack up all the rc stuff and take our spouses to the track so they can stand around for hours and watch us race and work on cars!!!!! BRILLIANT!!! now that's romantic!
That's called the Winternats you coming too?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default New Serpent wheels

Tested the new rims/tyres from Serpent yesterday and was pretty much impressed.
The shore rating of 40 seems somewhat harder than those from New Arrows (I always run a 40 from them), as the car was understeering and oversteering far more than I'm used to. However, a quick change in the rear springs from yellow to red and setting the rear anti-roll bar to its shortes setting brought back the amount of steering I like. Funnily enough, it also settled the rear end down quite a bit.

I couldn't push too hard, as my engine seemes to be playing up (don't think it likes the German Autumn), which caused me to roll once, as I was trying to get the car into second gear on the straight and then ended up going too fast into the left-right kinck

But this also showed that the strength of the new rims is also very good, as apart from a few scuff marks from the rolls, the rims remained true and the tyres didn't chunk.

The rims themselves are a good deal more rigid that the old ones and I though this may effect my camber setting, but at the rear, my usual 3L and 3.5R was AOK. At the front, I think I could actually reduce the camber a little as the fronts were a little coned.

I really like the rims - definately the best I've tried but I think a set of 37s would have been better for the track conditions yesterday.

Cheers, Mark.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-dsc_0117.jpg  
Old 09-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Lower engine mounts are good but you'll need to mod the top deck AND be aware that now with your flywheel nearly lower than the bottom of the chassis, it may just stall the engine if you go off track. The other thing is when your pitman refuels you by picking your car and placing it somewhere accidentally touching the flywheel.
Fire that pit guy !

New way of refuelling with a fuel bottle or with a gun is to do it in mid air ! Pick car up with the cable tie connected to the fuel cap and pump the fuel in.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Tech Prophet

D, use the RING! You're slow. Wanna swap nicks?

Note also that the package is not only orange but there is a set from Mushroom which gives the steering linkage complete with the 2-part diff clamp set.
Not steering linkage Onkel Sow. A newer servo saver. And yes, when I had a look at it, I think they had the last one because when I refreshed the web page and it was out of stock !
Old 09-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Tech Prophet

I never liked the blade type for the rear anyway.
Throw away that Mugen car altogether Onkel Sow !
Old 09-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD

Not steering linkage Onkel Sow. A newer servo saver. And yes, when I had a look at it, I think they had the last one because when I refreshed the web page and it was out of stock !
Oh that's just Sow getting his revenge, as I bought all the JP FXs from the-border
Old 09-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Tech Prophet

They are just as strong in my opinion. Am using the rear and front shock towers ... haven't checked but they looked about 0.5mm thicker.
SSG is suppose to be softer and more flexible. Thus it needs to be thicker.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Throw away that Mugen car altogether Onkel Sow !
And that, whats-it-called, Team Midgit G4, or whatever
Old 09-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Engine mounts

Originally posted by markp27
The new one piece Serpent engine mount is the same height as the old one @ 14.5mm. It weighs 17 Grams compared to 11 Grams of the old mounts (both together).
Pay more for a heavier part?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: whats on the way

Originally posted by packetdreamer
we should make a holiday for all our understanding mates. and on the holiday what we can do is pack up all the rc stuff and take our spouses to the track so they can stand around for hours and watch us race and work on cars!!!!! BRILLIANT!!! now that's romantic!
Like going to Thailand, China or to Florida with our RC gears.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

SSG is suppose to be softer and more flexible. Thus it needs to be thicker.
I'm still trying to break my original rear shock tower Darn thing just won't break no matter how many times I roll I'm sending it back as faulty!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Tech Prophet

A lot of people still prefer the stock shock bodies. They don't expand with heat hence you won't have a leak. They're also lighter.
Michael Salven always use rear aluminum shock body and the stock one in front. 1/8th as well as on 1/10th.

- the orange clutch shoes,
Onkel Sow, where on earth did you get orange clutch shoes? From Mordor?

- change to the fastest engine you can,

- change the dogbones to the pro ones from the 835,
Did you get the bronze coloured ones or the black ones?

- drivebelts from the G4
What are their teeth numbers on the belts? Do they fit?

- solid rear axle
Where are you getting yours? Someone here at the local track is testing a self made one. One is testing a oneway with rear solid and the other is testing solid front and rear. I'll post pics when I have the time. This friend of mine gave me to have a look at a "pre-production" one that was heavy. He's using a revised one that he made himself which is lighter. He said that acceleration in the straights line is very good. Better than the rear ball diff. But it only works on very few tracks. The setup tends to like stiffer rear and front sway bars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.