R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #3046
Tech Fanatic

you use to be able to race a mugen straight out of the box now you need a box of parts and we have mugens since prime 12//230 rear drive/sting were all good cars in there day so why bugger up the brand now onley my thoughts
greg
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #3047
Tech Regular

I don't believe it's the brace or the gears entirely. The original gears are a little brittle, but I feel it's more like the alignment, a shim between first and second spur and most important a smooth 2 speed shift. I don't mean early engagement but a minimal gap between 2 speed shoe and drum, with equal tension on both sides of the shoe. Also the original gears wear down kind of quick . If your still using the originals , then you should check gear mesh after every 30 minutes of running. I can run the car with or without the brace without stripping gears, but the chassis bends like a banana without it.
Novarossi racing Engines ~Ko Propo, ~Avid Bearings..
VBC Racing Wildfire D07 ~LRP Electronics ~ Fantom Racing
NITTO550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #3048
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Or hire a proper engineer.
Or stop trying to re-invent the wheel...........
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #3049
Tech Elite

Mugen needs to go back to the drawing board with this car. None of the other cars that have gone to the 0.8 pitch module gears have second gear stripping issues like the MTX5. I now have a NT1 and have run the dog mess out of it with only one gear strip issue but that was due to chipped gear teeth and motor shifting (broke 2 screws on one side holding the motor to the mounts). So, if they are going to advance this car to the MTX6, they seriously need to address this issue if they want to stay in the touring car race game.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #3050
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

I see a bunch of Mugen haters. There is nothing wrong with the car! Mines ran fine no gear issues, car was fast and handled very well. I look forward to racing it again in the near future. My first sedan and I am VERY happy with my MTX5! I believe I will have a very good season with it!

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #3051
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I see a bunch of Mugen haters. There is nothing wrong with the car! Mines ran fine no gear issues, car was fast and handled very well. I look forward to racing it again in the near future. My first sedan and I am VERY happy with my MTX5! I believe I will have a very good season with it!
Not a Mugen hater, just a racer that knows that there is an issue. Been running Mugen cars since the MTX2 in onroad and MBX 4XR Works in offroad. This has been an issue the the MTX series since Mugen went to the 0.8 pitch module gears. Only a blind follower ignores an issue with a product. Just because you recognize an issue doesn't make someone a hater.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #3052
Tech Fanatic

we love the car but I have to pay for my grandsons racing in the last fue years and he has had 1 final QLD/state 1 final AUS /nationals we have raced several NSW titels and car was faltless 1 set of gears 6 days racing/but we fitted new gears/pinions for each lot of titels////and new chassi
glad to see you are still with us nitto
greg
Old 03-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #3053
Tech Champion

My solution for MTX5 2 speed gear broken syndrome :

1. Use longer screws for anything that hold rear bulkheads and engine mountings.
2. Often replace with new bearings for the main shaft ( 2 speed shaft ) and the clutcbell.
3. Use KNACK carbon fibre strengthener that keeps rear bulkheads from twisting.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #3054
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Smile Carbon wheel disks

Has any done testing with or without the carbon fibre wheel disks..
What is the benefit?
I get they where handed down from big brother MRX5 etc. but aerodynamics on 1/8 scale is quite different to tourer..
I have had problems with some brands of rear rims rubbing on the carbon and creating handling dramas.

I want to know if anyone has seen better lap times.. Because the way I look at it is all unsprung weight..

Take two
Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #3055
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwright View Post
Has any done testing with or without the carbon fibre wheel disks..
What is the benefit?
I get they where handed down from big brother MRX5 etc. but aerodynamics on 1/8 scale is quite different to tourer..
I have had problems with some brands of rear rims rubbing on the carbon and creating handling dramas.

I want to know if anyone has seen better lap times.. Because the way I look at it is all unsprung weight..

Take two
The cars are a little bit easier to drive with the disk and a little bit harder to drive without them to make it short and sweet.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #3056
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Not a Mugen hater, just a racer that knows that there is an issue. Been running Mugen cars since the MTX2 in onroad and MBX 4XR Works in offroad. This has been an issue the the MTX series since Mugen went to the 0.8 pitch module gears. Only a blind follower ignores an issue with a product. Just because you recognize an issue doesn't make someone a hater.
I believe the gear issue that racers are having is too much travel when they pull the throttle and hit the breaks. I believe that the Mugen sedans gears might be more susceptible to stripiping because they are 0.8 and if you have to much throw you might strip a gear. I've always used a O ring or a thin piece of fuel tubing on the throttle servo so the sevo does not move the engine. It still opens the throttle fully, it just does not move the engine when you hit the gas and are in full throttle.

Trust me, this works well if done correctly.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #3057
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I believe the gear issue that racers are having is too much travel when they pull the throttle and hit the breaks. I believe that the Mugen sedans gears might be more susceptible to stripiping because they are 0.8 and if you have to much throw you might strip a gear. I've always used a O ring or a thin piece of fuel tubing on the throttle servo so the sevo does not move the engine. It still opens the throttle fully, it just does not move the engine when you hit the gas and are in full throttle.

Trust me, this works well if done correctly.
Hello Pooh2,
Thanks to NOT believe that we are numerous to hate Mugen. Frankly speaking, I love this car and I have the same opinion than you, this chassis is fantastic. But as I love this car, I don't ignore there is an issue with the 2nd spur stripping. As JLock said, only a blind follower ignores this issue with this MTX-5. Now, this forum is to help us, and to try to find solutions by sharing our experiences.
I am very close to think like NITTO550 on all the points that he evoked above, excepted may be on the point concerning the minimal gap between 2 speed shoe and drum. I will try again this set-up, but I remember by the past that to have a second speed something smooth, it's when we decrease the pressure on the springs for the adjustment, and not when we move closer the shoes to the drum. Anyway, NITTO, I will try again this Set-Up.
See you, guys.
JR28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #3058
Tech Regular

I see a difference between smooth and early engagement . Less spring tension will give you an earlier engagement. The distance between the drum and the shoe makes it smooth. Also spring condition is important. From what I experienced , after the 2 speed shoe wears down and the gap becomes too big the 2 speed shoe will lock up in the drum, and once you get back on throttle out of a corner the torque of the engine will break the spur if it's still engaged at low speeds. I've been driving this car for a few seasons and this is what I see.
Novarossi racing Engines ~Ko Propo, ~Avid Bearings..
VBC Racing Wildfire D07 ~LRP Electronics ~ Fantom Racing
NITTO550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #3059
Tech Fanatic

if you want the car to jump forward when it changes it will strip gears every time nice and smooth change /we still run the same 2 speed that came in the kit I have onley adjusted It once and that's because I donot drive it as fast as grandson he has retired to drive his girl chaser
greg
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #3060
Tech Fanatic

silky smooth 2 speed engage, perfect gear mesh, almost no play on shaft
and use of rear brace, no matter which brand, trackside , shepis, knack, or homemade will help to prevent stripping specially in case of hit will prevent
im lucky of not stripping gear as neither member of my club, but believe me I had to be very careful and pay attention to every detail.
I use new spurs and with these pinions last longer!