R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #3031
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossb View Post
I am looking to replace my old HPI R40 and I am looking at the MTX5 and the new HB R10. Can anyone provide an opinion of these two cars?

I know that the MTX5 is an older car and it may be updated soon. Is it difficult to get MTX5 parts? HB parts should be fairly easy to get. Ive read about spur stripping issues with the MTX5 that can be remediated with a side brace. Anything else I should know about either car?

Thanks.
The MTX5 is an excellent car if you cure the spur gear stripping. It's also incredibly planted at high speeds. I had mine for 6 months, ran it often with a stupid fast mm rbm3 and never flipped it over-not once!
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
SMC, Max Amps, LRP, Poseidon Motors, Cordova Research Motors, Xceed.
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 PM   #3032
Tech Fanatic

bailey has not striped a gear since brace was installed////except when the pinions were worn that was 3 months after they came out biggest drama is the chassi///have tried 3 different brands//lots of state titles/nats/qld/Sydney/and several nsw events
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #3033
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Looking to off load tons of parts n car no time to run nitro
Anyone interested pm me
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #3034
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Looking to off load tons of parts n car no time to run nitro
Anyone interested pm me
What you off loading now buddy?
360 Raceway V2 / Team Associated 12R5.1
JrodKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #3035
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrodKyo View Post
What you off loading now buddy?
Same pkg you need to be race ready lol
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #3036
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Same pkg you need to be race ready lol
Ygpm

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #3037
Tech Rookie

Heloo,

can someone tell me the dimensions of MTX5 pivot balls?

Thanks
desaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #3038
Tech Rookie

Brace is not the solution to the spur gear stripping. The problem comes from the module of the gears + small number of teeth for the second ratio (47, 48 and 49 teeth) = too fragile
After hours and hours to practice and compete with this car (this one is really fantastic if you control this problem), the solution is the one gave by Robert Piestch in this forum:
- The good alignment of the engine (it's the key solution)
- A suave engaging for the second ratio (so better that your second speed engages early)
- No gap between the second spur and your second pinion.
The great solution would be to have less fragile second ratio (more teeth, wider spur...) but it seems difficult for Mugen to find a solution.
Really a pity, this fantastic car was commercially killed because this spur problem.
JR28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #3039
Tech Fanatic

I know the hole thing has been going on since new but all of the above work but for the average racer a brace will help we onley change spurs when we install new pinions or //titles as far as I am concerned the chassi is the worst part of the 5 we have had more chassis than spurs but its still a good car
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #3040
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Talking Carbon fibre disks?

Ok I have a question for the masses..
Has any done testing with or with out the carbon fibre wheel disks..
What is the benefit?
I get they where handed down from big brother MRX5 etc. but aerodynamics on 1/8 scale is quite different to tourer..
I have had problems with some brands of rear rims rubbing on the carbon and creating handling dramas.

I want to know if anyone has seen better lap times.. Because the way I look at it is all unsprung weight..

Never striped a gear because I have always run the machined rear brace.. If up don't have one I recon they are a must..

Steve H
Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #3041
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

I ran the STOCK gears HRS this past weekend and never had a problem with the gears!
In fact, they don't even looked used. I don't see where people are having this gear issue!
My car worked well Pretty much stock.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #3042
Tech Rookie

Hello,
I am very happy to see that some guys have no problem with the spurs. But to answer to our friend Pooh2 " I don't see where people are having this gear issue!", we can remark in this forum since 2 years that the main problem on this car is the spur stripping. It's not only ONE person concerned but a lot of persons concerned.
- Concerning the brace, what I don't understand, it's why MUGEN and Robert have not made a brace option part if the solution was there ! It was so easy to do a brace and to resolve the problem. But nothing !
- And why MUGEN and Robert have not communicated on this brace point to avoid this big problem, if it was the very good solution. But nothing !
- Did you remark that Robert and MUGEN have only communicated on the engine alignment as "solution" (and very discretely because it's a poor solution) ?
I repeat that I am happy, guys, if you have no problem with this spur, but in France, there is no more drivers with this car because this matter. A pity !
Also did you remark that the Velox Pro is a very very similar car to this MTX-5 (strange, no ?) and that this car doesn't brake the spurs and no needs brace.
JR28 : MTX-5 , Boss Engine.
JR28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #3043
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I ran the STOCK gears HRS this past weekend and never had a problem with the gears!
In fact, they don't even looked used. I don't see where people are having this gear issue!
My car worked well Pretty much stock.
+1 I think the tracks we run here in Fla.are super smooth & with good engine alinment & gear mash on problem, Mugendrew showed me this and never had a problem
kmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #3044
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It is ironic that since Mugen switched from the 1.0 module spur gears (MTX2 and early MTX3) to the 0.8 module spur gears (later MTX3/3 Prospec to current car), second gear stripping has become a major issue. I still have my MTX3 with the 1.0 module gears and the only time I had gear stripping issues was when a rock or other debris got into the mesh. Yes, the 1.0 module gears even survived the occasional flex of the chassis. If you look at the 1.0 as compared to the 0.8, the 1.0s are beefier plastic than the 0.8s and would even survive some of the knife-edging of the clutchbell pinion gears (to a point, of course). Maybe Mugen should refine the gearing of the diffs so that they could go back to the 1.0 module gearing without losing the gains in speed. Just a thought..................
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #3045
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
It is ironic that since Mugen switched from the 1.0 module spur gears (MTX2 and early MTX3) to the 0.8 module spur gears (later MTX3/3 Prospec to current car), second gear stripping has become a major issue. I still have my MTX3 with the 1.0 module gears and the only time I had gear stripping issues was when a rock or other debris got into the mesh. Yes, the 1.0 module gears even survived the occasional flex of the chassis. If you look at the 1.0 as compared to the 0.8, the 1.0s are beefier plastic than the 0.8s and would even survive some of the knife-edging of the clutchbell pinion gears (to a point, of course). Maybe Mugen should refine the gearing of the diffs so that they could go back to the 1.0 module gearing without losing the gains in speed. Just a thought..................
Or hire a proper engineer.