R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #2116
Tech Rookie

Thumbs down He's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
you don't want a small amount of brakes mate. this is the logic from back in the oneway days.

you want enough brakes, for any situation. you want to be able to brake how and when you need it. you shouldn't be modfying your driving for ineffective mechanical gear, the mechanical gear should be doing everything you want it to, when you want it to.

When did you hear a 1:1 racer say "i just roll into the corners, it's quicker" Racers want power when they want it, torque when they want it, steering when they want it, grip when they want it, slide when they want it and brakes when they want it. This is the make up to a well handling car.

PS: i agree with Bishop the mod to the lever is recommended. It helps quite a bit, in saying this i have after market pads so this also helped. In general the stock brake pad material is too hard. Brace is not needed people. The MTX4 had a brace and it still stripped...remember??! brace does nothing except eliminate flex where you need it most.

PPS: the longer brake linkage works like a long spanner, it doesn't give you a more progressive brake, this is wrong, it just gives you greater leverage at the point of contact between the brake and the pads. Your car is braking more, not because you have more progression but because the longer lever actually applys more force onto the disk.

For this reason, if you want more progressive brakes you will need softer brake pad material which bites and grabs earlier. if you can find this, then you won't need the longer brake arm. I read somewhere that the motonica brake pads work well. try that, or if all else fails get the KM pads from the NT1 and stick them to mugen pads minus the sh1t material that comes stock in the kit.
Ah, so good to see our favorite expert has wandered in from the RC wilderness!
By the way.....please explain what the GFY in your signature stands for
Old 05-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #2117
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ORACLE View Post
Ah, so good to see our favorite expert has wandered in from the RC wilderness!
By the way.....please explain what the GFY in your signature stands for
What TomB says, make`s sense. It is a good advice. i don`t agree with your thumb down.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #2118
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiewie View Post
What TomB says, make`s sense. It is a good advice. i don`t agree with your thumb down.

PS: ghetto, 10 litres so far, had fun racing, learning, chilling out maxing when i get time to hit the track never had any diff or spur gear issues. B17ch, sip on some of this

PPS: oracle, GFY stands for Go fudge yourself. substitute the fudge for the other word and you have your answer. Pick your flavour of choice from the above selection.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #2119
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default tyres

Hi Guys,

I just had a query about Contact RC tyres. It appears the inner rim of my rear tyres are rubbing against the wheel hubs (where you make your toe adjustments). I am not sure if it is a clearance issue with the tyre or Mugen has made the hubs too thick or the tyres flex too much under load but I just was wondering if any of you had similar problem before? The front tyres seem fine though. As far as grip goes, the tyres are as good as my old GRPs were so no issues there, but the rubbing concerns me.

Cheers,
Mick
Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #2120
Tech Elite

If you extend the end point of a lever, that end point in theory needs to travel further in relation to whatever it's controlling to get the same effect, which I'm hoping relates to a longer active span/travel controlling the same thing, with more travel meaning more control, thus more progression.

Improved leverage is a bonus, but not necessarily what I'm after here, though a fair few people have said you can get more brakes with less flex of the chassis, but anyone with an original version chassis who says theirs does not flex while having enough brake to stop the car, without any mods, has likely never looked close enough at their car to notice just how much it does flex.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #2121
Tech Fanatic

mtx5 dose not bend chassi it is all in your mind we can go banana boat racing but i forgot mugen dont do boats or do they it is still a good car when you get it right
greg
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #2122
Tech Elite

I should show you how much my electric car flexes one day Greg, it's one of the reason why the chassis flex on the five does not bother me, it's one of the reasons why the electrics generate huge amounts of grip.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #2123
Tech Fanatic

right i get it but the electric one bends back to straight
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #2124
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick8488 View Post
Hi Guys,

I just had a query about Contact RC tyres. It appears the inner rim of my rear tyres are rubbing against the wheel hubs (where you make your toe adjustments). I am not sure if it is a clearance issue with the tyre or Mugen has made the hubs too thick or the tyres flex too much under load but I just was wondering if any of you had similar problem before? The front tyres seem fine though. As far as grip goes, the tyres are as good as my old GRPs were so no issues there, but the rubbing concerns me.

Cheers,
Mick
Check the rims width. Some brands have 31mm rims, but GRP has 30mm rims wich were the old rules. Maybe the reason of your problem. Just put some wider/thicker hexes on the axle and adjust the arms shorter.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #2125
Tech Initiate

I also had that problem, even on the xray, I solved by changing the type of tires.
:-)
maver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 AM   #2126
Tech Regular

Who makes a one piece engine mount for the 5.?
Novarossi racing Engines ~Ko Propo, ~Avid Bearings..
VBC Racing Wildfire D07 ~LRP Electronics ~ Fantom Racing
NITTO550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #2127
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
If you extend the end point of a lever, that end point in theory needs to travel further in relation to whatever it's controlling to get the same effect, which I'm hoping relates to a longer active span/travel controlling the same thing, with more travel meaning more control, thus more progression.

Improved leverage is a bonus, but not necessarily what I'm after here, though a fair few people have said you can get more brakes with less flex of the chassis, but anyone with an original version chassis who says theirs does not flex while having enough brake to stop the car, without any mods, has likely never looked close enough at their car to notice just how much it does flex.
yeah maybe. My personal opinion is it feels like it has more progression because the pads grab harder, but they do not grab earlier. for arguments sake, the stock lever has a maximum grab of say...5kg's of pressure. The longer lever has (again hypothetical, not tested) 10 kg's of pressure. It feels more "progressive" because with the longer lever you have an extra 5kg's of pressure being applied past the point of the stock lever, this is where the feeling of prgression is coming from.

The stock pads with a longer lever don't grab earlier, they can't because the material of the pads is still slipping just like it did with the shorter lever. ie anything under the (hypothetical) 5g's is the same "grab" so to say whether you use a short or long lever. Not sure if i explained my thoughts clearly

I find it funny that there are so many silly hop ups for the 5, ie alloy shock ends and others bits, but no after market pads. frustrating. With softer pads, there is also inherently less flex as the pads would grab earlier, thus requiring less pressure from the servo which is what makes the chassis move.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #2128
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
.......... but no after market pads.... .
Check out Pro-s-futaba, they sell after market pads made by 'one-o-one' 101
M16 Racing Fuels
Mazda614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #2129
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Upsidedownshockthomas

Quote:
yeah maybe. My personal opinion is it feels like it has more progression because the pads grab harder, but they do not grab earlier. for arguments sake, the stock lever has a maximum grab of say...5kg's of pressure. The longer lever has (again hypothetical, not tested) 10 kg's of pressure. It feels more "progressive" because with the longer lever you have an extra 5kg's of pressure being applied past the point of the stock lever, this is where the feeling of prgression is coming from.

The stock pads with a longer lever don't grab earlier, they can't because the material of the pads is still slipping just like it did with the shorter lever. ie anything under the (hypothetical) 5g's is the same "grab" so to say whether you use a short or long lever. Not sure if i explained my thoughts clearly

I find it funny that there are so many silly hop ups for the 5, ie alloy shock ends and others bits, but no after market pads. frustrating. With softer pads, there is also inherently less flex as the pads would grab earlier, thus requiring less pressure from the servo which is what makes the chassis move.
Thomas Thomas Thomas, I'm pretty sure that you actually have after market pads on your car as you sold me your mugen option pads that you thought were not good enough, and were telling me that you had softer pads on the car. I'm sure you will correct me if i'm wrong.
Before you tell me to go and fudge myself(again LOL) let me remind you that despite the fact that you have been driving for 10 years, you fail to tell people that you have yet to win a race and in fact you qualified last at this years state titles.
Im not sure how others interpret this but it tells me that you either cant drive, or cant set up your cars, or simply cant build them, or the most probable reason a combination of all of the above. So why would people here listen to what you have to say.
Think about it before you start sending me messages again telling me that you are dissapointed in me.
Thomas don't get me wrong I like you as a friend but lets face it you are not much of a racer. I wont tell you to go away, i like reading your creative literature, but you just need to relax a little, these are toy cars were are talking about here. You can punch me in the arm next time you see me NHF OK.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #2130
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Upsidedownshockthomas

Quote:

Thomas Thomas Thomas, I'm pretty sure that you actually have after market pads on your car as you sold me your mugen option pads that you thought were not good enough, and were telling me that you had softer pads on the car. I'm sure you will correct me if i'm wrong.
Before you tell me to go and fudge myself(again LOL) let me remind you that despite the fact that you have been driving for 10 years, you fail to tell people that you have yet to win a race and in fact you qualified last at this years state titles.
Im not sure how others interpret this but it tells me that you either cant drive, or cant set up your cars, or simply cant build them, or the most probable reason a combination of all of the above. So why would people here listen to what you have to say.
Think about it before you start sending me messages again telling me that you are dissapointed in me.
Thomas don't get me wrong I like you as a friend but lets face it you are not much of a racer. I wont tell you to go away, i like reading your creative literature, but you just need to relax a little, these are toy cars were are talking about here. You can punch me 9in the arm next time you see me NHF OK.