R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #1951
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
i don't mean to be all "i told you so" but i told you so. add a shim between the two gears. make sure that the larger pinion does not hit the larger spur when the clutch is fully engaged. remember, sometimes the larger gear has wobble so accomodate for this movement when shimming.

also, pre tap the holes that the screws go into the spur. use plastic safe threadlock to put the screws in. use an "X" formation when screwing the screws in to avoid wobble from distortion.

also use a long grub screw on the two speed shoes and take out the roller drum to avoid any issues related to the roller drum.

i found that sometimes a larger gap between the 2 speed shoe and the 2 speed housing actually avoids stripping. The stripping does not occur during shifting at WOT, it usually occurs if the shift point occurs too late and you hit the breaks at the same time. the two speed shoes grab the casing, whilst it is still shifting down and causes the stripping sometimes.

use a bigger gap if you are ona small track with a lot of quick up and down shifts and braking points.

do the above, eliminate the gear wobble, space the gears out and don't let it shift too late or shift too close to a corner entry point.
great info!!! that makes total sence!!
I have just run in my new picco edo along with my new mtx5 and had zero problems for the moment( fingers crossed) not stripping or anything like that.
The car seems very good and very fast at the exits, still using the plastic gears in the diffs. the only thing i did is follow the instructions of people in here and my car works very well!! thanks everyone for the support !
prtmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #1952
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Inconsistent gearbox changes

Anybody out there finding that the gearbox doesn't change consistently. My experience is that the gearbox doesn't always repeat once setup. Sometimes it changes when expected and at other time doesn't to the extent that it may not change at all. Never had this happen with the MTX4R. Interested to here if anyone has had this happen and what was found to be a likely cause.
M16 Racing Fuels
Mazda614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #1953
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda614 View Post
Anybody out there finding that the gearbox doesn't change consistently. My experience is that the gearbox doesn't always repeat once setup. Sometimes it changes when expected and at other time doesn't to the extent that it may not change at all. Never had this happen with the MTX4R. Interested to here if anyone has had this happen and what was found to be a likely cause.
Check if you assembled the 2 speed shoes according to manual , I've seen people assembling them backwards and that makes the shift unstable
Old 04-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #1954
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seisick View Post
Check if you assembled the 2 speed shoes according to manual , I've seen people assembling them backwards and that makes the shift unstable
Have been running the car for the past 5 mths. Not sure how you can assemble the two speed backwards?. Others at our club are having similar issues i.e. changing earlier but after adjusting the two speed unable to get repeatability. I might try going back to my MTX4R setup of using a 4mm grub screw directly onto the centre hub, i am not a fan of the roller pins or balls under the grub screws. Guess this may be another one of those querky issues with the MTX5. Can't complain to much as we are yet to strip any spur gears after more than 5 hours running.
M16 Racing Fuels
Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #1955
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Have been running the car for the past 5 mths. Not sure how you can assemble the two speed backwards?. Others at our club are having similar issues i.e. changing earlier but after adjusting the two speed unable to get repeatability. I might try going back to my MTX4R setup of using a 4mm grub screw directly onto the centre hub, i am not a fan of the roller pins or balls under the grub screws. Guess this may be another one of those querky issues with the MTX5. Can't complain to much as we are yet to strip any spur gears after more than 5 hours running.
The 2 speed sahoes aren't symetrical so you should assemble them as per the manual where the longest parts rotates clockwose, also if yoiu have the 2 sopeed shoes close to each other there a change that they might lock so the shift pont varies in every run,
Just checj the manual and check piestch drawings regarding how the 2 speed shoes should must be spaced
Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #1956
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

raced a whole weekend with this car and everything held up well - no stripped spur gears or diff gears (still running composite). Total race time of near 2hrs plus practice time.
The clutch was still slipping and cost me a bit especially off the line and out of corners, but overall was very good and easy to drive
only issue i have is i want stronger brakes. any ideas? anyone tried the optional brake pads?
thanks!
poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #1957
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Yea mine is all over the shop, yesterday in the final it was changing in the corner one lap and half way down the straight the next, very annoying especially when you have stripped 4 gears coming into the race, I thought i stripped second gear 7 times in the final, it was just so inconsistent, i was going to bring the car in each time to check it, lucky i kept racing and took out the win.
Yea I joined the gear stripping club this weekend with 4 spurs thanks to a brace that was not bracing very well, changed it for the final and gears ok.(Realigned all 4 poles all good)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poop View Post
raced a whole weekend with this car and everything held up well - no stripped spur gears or diff gears (still running composite). Total race time of near 2hrs plus practice time.
The clutch was still slipping and cost me a bit especially off the line and out of corners, but overall was very good and easy to drive
only issue i have is i want stronger brakes. any ideas? anyone tried the optional brake pads? a brace helps the brakes and optional pads grip a bit better apparently
thanks!
A brace helps with the brakes optional pads also grip better apparently, not that i would know.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #1958
Tech Adept

Questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickass View Post
Yea mine is all over the shop, yesterday in the final it was changing in the corner one lap and half way down the straight the next, very annoying especially when you have stripped 4 gears coming into the race, I thought i stripped second gear 7 times in the final, it was just so inconsistent, i was going to bring the car in each time to check it, lucky i kept racing and took out the win.
Yea I joined the gear stripping club this weekend with 4 spurs thanks to a brace that was not bracing very well, changed it for the final and gears ok.(Realigned all 4 poles all good)

A brace helps with the brakes optional pads also grip better apparently, not that i would know.
Hey A. Good to see the brace worked out for you. I am searching for ideas on how to sort out the two speed. M's car was doing the same, still finished though (8th). I might try my MTX4R setup during the qualifiers later this week and see if that make a difference, I don't like the roller balls on the centre hub. Haven't looked to see which way I have them assembled to see if there is a right way or wrong way...
M16 Racing Fuels
Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #1959
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poop View Post
only issue i have is i want stronger brakes. any ideas? anyone tried the optional brake pads?
thanks!
i tried optionals and even tried teflon ones from the mtx4r
the optional i feel the brake more consistent but the wear is higher
the teflon ones brake the most but experience more fade compared to
the stock and optionals,
i tried the 3 brakes with and withouth chasis brace and felt the same
as i adjusted so to not bend the chasis, i used brace just to prevent
bending of the chasis in case of direct impact, no to brake more or prevent stripping gears as some might use it!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #1960
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thanks for the info! looks like there's no great solution for this yet
poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #1961
Tech Adept

maybe Robert designed the car to tell us to use less brakes,glide more..
tq23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #1962
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

has anyone tried different clutch springs?
Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #1963
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default What spares?

Hi guys,
I have placed an order for my MTX 5.
I have been running a 4r for a while and i will keep all the spare that fit from it. However i have been wounding what are the other things that break. I've only been driving for a year or so and I've been mostly running in the stock class (or what we call gas tourer we us a OS TG engine). I haven't have any major offs with my 4R for some time and only been replace belts pulleys bearing and gears oh and or course tries.
What sort of stuff breaks on these new cars. Yes i know about gears stripping etc.

So what sort of spare should i carry at a track day

Steve H
shanwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #1964
Tech Initiate

Does anyone has any set up to try??
for a low grip track ...
Thank you guys!!
prtmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #1965
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
has anyone tried different clutch springs?
Sure, the silver one works superb, but its more sensitive to adjustments compared to stock one (gold) consistent in long runs I'd say, the black one won't work, to stiff