R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #1771
Tech Addict
 
shanwright's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brisbane, Northside
Posts: 743
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default 0.1 end float

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Any experienced racer should know this without a tutorial.....

What I am missing is that the endplay in the clutch can be a disturbing factor to line up the gears. you have to pull the clutchbell from the flywheel to be sure to get the right position when the clutch is engadged.

Humm. to stop the end float shim your inner bearings to reduce end float to 0.1

I think this is proof that Mugen could spend a bit more time with supporting information in the manauls. Don't get me wrong i love the car but this information should be in the manual from the start.

Steve
shanwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #1772
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Any experienced racer should know this without a tutorial.....

What I am missing is that the endplay in the clutch can be a disturbing factor to line up the gears. you have to pull the clutchbell from the flywheel to be sure to get the right position when the clutch is engadged.
Roelof. Build the clutch so that the .4 or .5mm gap is between the shoe and the bell. leave 0.05 .1mm endplay only. with the bearings and all inserted put bell on, then keep adding shims on the inside until the bell is just clear of rubbing on the shoe. then add .4mm of shims to produce the .4mm gap between the shoe and the bell. Tighten the screw down on the pilot shaft then measure the end play with feelers.

According to Peitch, his suggestion is to add enough shims behind the flywheel collet so that you then have only .1mm enplay. I'm guessing Peitch suggests this so as to avoid variance in the endplay when the components heat up and expand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwright View Post
Humm. to stop the end float shim your inner bearings to reduce end float to 0.1

I think this is proof that Mugen could spend a bit more time with supporting information in the manauls. Don't get me wrong i love the car but this information should be in the manual from the start.

Steve
great product, but very little info. They need to take a leaf from Xray's book of information disemination and marketing.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #1773
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,281
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Roelof. Build the clutch so that the .4 or .5mm gap is between the shoe and the bell. leave 0.05 .1mm endplay only. with the bearings and all inserted put bell on, then keep adding shims on the inside until the bell is just clear of rubbing on the shoe. then add .4mm of shims to produce the .4mm gap between the shoe and the bell. Tighten the screw down on the pilot shaft then measure the end play with feelers.

According to Peitch, his suggestion is to add enough shims behind the flywheel collet so that you then have only .1mm enplay. I'm guessing Peitch suggests this so as to avoid variance in the endplay when the components heat up and expand.
I know, but still there are people who do not understand the difference or even the terms of gap and endplay. I know many people are running more endplay which is not worse for the working and performance but it does give a shorter live on the thrust bearing.

I run 2 types of setup. When running with a thrustbearing I use a very small wavespring as a shim on the inside which is giving zero endplay but due the spring function there is enough room for the clutchbell to expand. The other setup is using a ball-less thrustbearing where a large endplay is no issue.
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #1774
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
According to Peitch, his suggestion is to add enough shims behind the flywheel collet so that you then have only .1mm enplay. I'm guessing Peitch suggests this so as to avoid variance in the endplay when the components heat up and expand.
Not quite, I believe he is saying to shim behind the flywheel to get the gear mesh as full as possible, and to reduce the amount of shims needed to get your clutch gap to bare minimum, possibly cause using lots of shims to get your clutch gap seems to create drifting settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I run 2 types of setup. When running with a thrustbearing I use a very small wavespring as a shim on the inside which is giving zero endplay but due the spring function there is enough room for the clutchbell to expand. The other setup is using a ball-less thrustbearing where a large endplay is no issue.
I always near enough try to aim for zero end float, but then I aim for that with a stone cold engine, cause I have always found the end float increases .1-.2 once the engine heats up.
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #1775
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 753
Default mtx5

if you get shims right bell stays still and bearings last a lot longer ex/ thrust bearings have been doing it like that since bailey raced mtx2 ///ha
put 4 year old acer in to day brake/throttle now work again out of old 4r put $5 in old 4r
greg
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #1776
Tech Fanatic
 
Seisick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Not quite, I believe he is saying to shim behind the flywheel to get the gear mesh as full as possible, and to reduce the amount of shims needed to get your clutch gap to bare minimum, possibly cause using lots of shims to get your clutch gap seems to create drifting settings.


I always near enough try to aim for zero end float, but then I aim for that with a stone cold engine, cause I have always found the end float increases .1-.2 once the engine heats up.
yep, do the same here, almost no endplay at the end, with heat it adds up and the bell spins freely

btw, FOR THOSE WHO USE PICCO BASED ENGINES, there are two solutions to assemble,
to dremel the collect that comes on the engine on the tip for about 0.3mm or to use
a shim which is 8.7mm x 9.5mm x 0.5which is hard to find, what i did find is that with the picco collect portrudes on the flywheel and wont let the clutch rest on the flywheel, hence the shim to be used between the flywheel and the nut

and i must say the carb is a pain to assemble, it must being at an angle otherwise itll hit the fuel tank, and had to use a bushing on the servo horn so the link works flat.
at the end nothing a little extra work but no issues at all
__________________
HobbymaniA
GoT MuGeN?
Seisick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #1777
Tech Master
 
CanyonCarverR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,340
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
It's actually out already, Japan has had stock for a couple of weeks, but my guess is other countries importers won't buy stock until they run out the old model.

I still can't figure out the rear upper bulkhead changes for the new parts, can't see anything wrong with the old/original.
Do you have a link to a shop that ships to the US?
Cheers!
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #1778
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
Do you have a link to a shop that ships to the US?
Cheers!
While Japan does sell some things cheaper, kits is not one of them, you would likely get a better deal waiting for it to hit US retailers, but I suppose it depends on just how badly you want the new model, do a net search for futaba pro shop if your really keen, though they don't have an online shop in english either.
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #1779
Tech Master
 
choisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,236
Default

Simply send an email to pro futaba, they will reply and be able to get what you want. Promising and fast delivery. It never fails me for the past 8 yrs. I have been recommending and never seen any wrong so far from here.
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #1780
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 753
Default mtx5

i did not want to put non mugen parts in diff but we used km set for 5 but they have exploded to day at sunny coast they proved to be aluminium or whatever so we will have to get proper ones ///steel gen ones just as well now and not easter
greg
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #1781
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 753
Default servox

as usual i am only one winging about buggered savox zevo 3 months old but it is my fault it all ways is i got up in the morning and now all bits on com including spell check have gone god knows where
greg
harry i got it back tool bar////

Last edited by greg.dawn; 02-21-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: got spell check back
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 AM   #1782
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.dawn View Post
as usual i am only one winging about buggered savox zevo 3 months old but it is my fault it all ways is i got up in the morning and now all bits on com including spell check have gone god knows where
greg
harry i got it back tool bar////
lol i feel for ya man. You've had nothing but trouble I hope that reading your posts doesn't jinx me when i hit the track in two weeks

i just weighed my car fully built. stock parts. two low profile servos, 20 grams extra on the servo side, lipo, spectrum micro reciever, novak regulator, murnan m3 with 2660 pipe and 6 fin header and contact black rims trued with 1mm foam...with body and internal body stiffener...1710 grams.

car hits 1725 with a full size throttle servo. There wasn't any real point for me changing the throttle servo except i was bored this arvo.

Serpent 733 racers eat your heavy heart out
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #1783
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
i just weighed my car fully built. stock parts. two low profile servos, 20 grams extra on the servo side, lipo, spectrum micro reciever, novak regulator, murnan m3 with 2660 pipe and 6 fin header and contact black rims trued with 1mm foam...with body and internal body stiffener...1710 grams.

car hits 1725 with a full size throttle servo. There wasn't any real point for me changing the throttle servo except i was bored this arvo.

Serpent 733 racers eat your heavy heart out
Thats real good for a stock built kit. Mine does aproxx 1595 gr. with lightweight parts. I put 100 grams on the batt tray to get the weight up. But the new serpent 747 will be lighter this year.

Last edited by djiewie; 02-21-2012 at 07:07 AM.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #1784
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 753
Default mtx5

tomb//
the car is good except for chassis/and servo have fixed chassis just have to try stronger brace/i think old one will give more flex bailey is back from camp so will try it sat car is really good/fast he said is better than 4r on in field gears were probably my fault has not happen again/will put new chassis on when we have run new brace //diff that's what you get when you run non mugen parts//ha will put steel ones in soon any one will tell you i hate maintenance but when i work out what has to be done it will get done its no good pulling the dam thing apart if you don't know how to fix it//we are getting there thanks to jeff/trackside he has been great help with bailey/set up
greg
what are they supposed to weigh
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #1785
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,719
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I'm in the process of building my car. Can't wait to see the difference in performance compared to the 4r.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mugen MTX-3 university_dave Nitro On-Road 17237 12-30-2012 01:16 PM
Mugen MTX-4 Grasshopperr Nitro On-Road 9087 08-30-2011 07:15 PM
Singapore National Series, 2009 Round 2 bullygod Singapore R/C Racers 21 06-27-2009 07:00 AM
Inter-State Racing Competetion Mie3R Malaysian R/C Racers 510 08-12-2008 10:41 PM
INTI College 1/10 Gas Touring (Sarawak,Kuching) LAKIA Malaysian R/C Racers 41 10-18-2007 06:46 PM
TQ With Serpent 720 on 23 & 24 December 2006 in Miri weechor Malaysian R/C Racers 119 02-01-2007 07:04 AM
LRP Nitro Masters 2006 Malaysia HPC II Malaysian R/C Racers 435 06-28-2006 09:03 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:11 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net