Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MBX7

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Default Anti battery ejection system

Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE
Awe man that sucks, how bad is the damage?
Might want to check out the battery bracket
On m2c racing

Part no m2c 5225 or 5226
Battery held in with zip ties
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Diff Balls
I have a qestion about spring rates.

When comparing to other brands, are the newton/meter rates consistent from brand to brand? So if a mugen spring and a kyosho spring both had the same n/m rating, would they be exactly the same stiffness? Or are there other factors?

Thanks
Might be overkill for some, but I tend to struggle with believing some of the labeling that is used or simply feel that more info is needed.

Although I run all Mugen, there was a time where the Blue Kyosho springs were being used on the different chassis brands. Initially, it seemed as though these springs were stiffer than any Mugen spring I had. As it turned out, they are the softest spring I have in my spare parts box.

I have most all of the silver and black springs available for the MBX7. There's chatter about the silver's being "more progressive" while the black springs were "more linear" as well as the above mentioned "newton/meter" rates.

Trying to take the guess work out of making changes, looking for predictable results from spring changes, I decided to meaure the springs for myself. And although not very scientific and NOT related to the newton/meter ratings, I was able to create some bar charts, comparing all springs to one another, regardless of silver, black, 75mm, 70mm, different brands etc.

My method for measuring was quite simple. The tools involved were a drill press and a digital scale. Scale was placed on the flat work area plate of the drill press. Position the height of the plate to accomodate the height of the spring. With the spring sitting on the scale, uncompressed, the top of the spring touched the bottom of the chuck.

I took 3 measurements for each spring:

at 1/2 inch
at 1 inch
at 1 1/2 inch

I recorded these values, entered them into Excel and produced bar graphs for both the front and rear springs.

It was interesting to see the results. Not only makes it easier to see which springs are softer or stiffer, it shows at what interval (1/2, 1 or 1 1/2 inches).

Jim
Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vwduud
Might be overkill for some, but I tend to struggle with believing some of the labeling that is used or simply feel that more info is needed.

Although I run all Mugen, there was a time where the Blue Kyosho springs were being used on the different chassis brands. Initially, it seemed as though these springs were stiffer than any Mugen spring I had. As it turned out, they are the softest spring I have in my spare parts box.

I have most all of the silver and black springs available for the MBX7. There's chatter about the silver's being "more progressive" while the black springs were "more linear" as well as the above mentioned "newton/meter" rates.

Trying to take the guess work out of making changes, looking for predictable results from spring changes, I decided to meaure the springs for myself. And although not very scientific and NOT related to the newton/meter ratings, I was able to create some bar charts, comparing all springs to one another, regardless of silver, black, 75mm, 70mm, different brands etc.

My method for measuring was quite simple. The tools involved were a drill press and a digital scale. Scale was placed on the flat work area plate of the drill press. Position the height of the plate to accomodate the height of the spring. With the spring sitting on the scale, uncompressed, the top of the spring touched the bottom of the chuck.

I took 3 measurements for each spring:

at 1/2 inch
at 1 inch
at 1 1/2 inch

I recorded these values, entered them into Excel and produced bar graphs for both the front and rear springs.

It was interesting to see the results. Not only makes it easier to see which springs are softer or stiffer, it shows at what interval (1/2, 1 or 1 1/2 inches).

Jim
are you will to share your results? / excel File?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

FTW Body:
Old 04-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Jim
Kyosho is what I'm comparing to. I was looking at the charts and was surprised at how much softer the kyoshos are according to the n/m rates listed. That led me to think that maybe the numbers that are published do not correlate between brands. Sounds as though from your test, that they are that much softer than the mugen springs.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kgombe
+1
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

I drove the first race yesterday with my mbx7 the car is really great and drove awesome! I drove faster it than last year, but that's because my driving skills improved I think

My mate switched from Mugen to Xray and he used to be faster than me, now with the mbx7 I was 1 lap ahead of him in a 15min final.

My white tank broke last week. It splitted on the seam next to the centerdiff. I was driving the semi final yesterday and after 3 laps, my tank was empty and there was nitro everywhere on my car. There was a small at the bottom of the tank. Right under the clunk. My tank was 2mm shimmed up and I shaved the tabs of the tank. So I'm quite sure it from the clunk and not from the chassis.

I bought a new tank and I hope this one will last. If not, I'll go back to the mbx6 tank. Never had a problem with it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I have a factory sealed MBX7 kit for sale was planning to run off road
pm me for pic $550 shipped
Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth
I drove faster it than last year, but that's because my driving skills improved I think
Don't FOOL YOURSELF. It's the buggy hahahahah Its that good.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sure. I have these at the house. I'll post them up either tonight or tomorrow.

Jim
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

has anyone used the Buku clutch, if so does it line well with the stock Bell?? also is the flywheel far forward?

any pics?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Motorman007
Don't FOOL YOURSELF. It's the buggy hahahahah Its that good.
I drove the whole winter touring car in the modified class with a 4.5T motor. This made me a better, consistent driver.

But I can't deny that I like this car very much. I like it even more than my mbx6. Wrenching is also better on this car. Except for the center diff mount. I like the 2 piece mount a lot more!
I hope I'm just the only one who had bad luck with the white tank...
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

has anyone used the Buku clutch, if so does it line well with the stock Bell?? also is the flywheel far forward?

any pics?
Yes the flywheel is forward. I use Racers Edge bells with no issues.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sure. I have these at the house. I'll post them up either tonight or tomorrow.

Jim

Here on forum? or should i pm you with email? =)
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

FTW MBX7 Nitro Body (minus the cutouts):

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.