Search
Like Tree3Likes

Mugen MBX6

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chad bradley
I started off with the standard (grey) oring at the top, and low friction (black) oring on the bottom. it worked good, very free and no leaking (u have to have a 1.5mm spacer between the orings, stock spacer is only 1mm). Since I noticed no leaking I wanted to try all low friction orings. super free the shock body almost slides on the shock shaft with its own weight. I ran my car in two qualifiers and after checked to see any leaking, none of the shocks leaked, however on one of my shocks air mixed in with the oil (wasnt enough to be a concern)

I would have both types of orings on hand
What can i use for the 1.5mm spacer? just have to measure it and look.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Quick questions about your setup Chad.
1)Where do you put shims to raise the steering rack? between the arms of servo saver and steering plate or between steering plate and steering turnbuckle end?
2) Your rear droop is 129mm that is almost full droop am I right or measuring something wrong?

Last edited by alport78; 04-28-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by croracer
What can i use for the 1.5mm spacer? just have to measure it and look.
I had a Jq shock spacer that was 1.5mm and it seemed to make the squish for the orings perfect. couple guys at my local track used 2 mugen spacers with one sanded in half.

Quick questions about your setup Chad.
1)Where do you put shims to raise the steering rack? between the arms of servo saver and steering plate or between steering plate and steering turnbuckle end?

Yes above the steering arms (bellcrank) and below the steering rack, find a bolt thats 2mm longer

2) Your rear droop is 129mm that is almost full droop am I right or measuring something wrong?

I measure shock bolt to shock bolt. I used a little more droop than I normally do at Silver State. I like 108mm front and 128mm rear most of the time
Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM
psr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Doug H.
i just switched to mugen and bought a 6r and was wondering dose any body know what the little o-rings inthe diff are for and dose any body use them
hi mate im in the same boat as you just gone from mp9 nto the mbx6r i thought the same thing as you but if you check your set up sheets it has option there for added o rings in the diff im assuming it changes the action slightly for the more orings added no one seems to use them though lol
Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Oh well, I guess tomorrow I will find out if I made the right move or not. I sold 2 Kyosho MP9'S and bought 2 MBX's. One is the new R US edition and the other a ECO. I will put them both to the dirt tomorrow for the first time. Mugen here I come LOL

And the ECO
Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the shock info Chad. Wish I would have read your post before building the shocks yesterday! Would have saved me some frustration with setting proper rebound. I'll use your tips for sure next oil change.

You eX Kyosho guys, Please post your first impresions on the Mugen! Im dying to drive mine, just waiting on a new head pipe.
The K car was a really good handling car, and im really looking forward to comparing the Mugen, and seeing what kind of adjustment period is going to be neccesary. If it dirves half as good as the quality of its parts, I will be a happy camper!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by skye b.
Thanks for the shock info Chad. Wish I would have read your post before building the shocks yesterday! Would have saved me some frustration with setting proper rebound. I'll use your tips for sure next oil change.

You eX Kyosho guys, Please post your first impresions on the Mugen! Im dying to drive mine, just waiting on a new head pipe.
The K car was a really good handling car, and im really looking forward to comparing the Mugen, and seeing what kind of adjustment period is going to be neccesary. If it dirves half as good as the quality of its parts, I will be a happy camper!
You will be a VERY happy camper It drives incredible
Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chad bradley
Those tiny o-rings go in the 4 planetary diff gears (4 gears to each diff). But most everyone doesnt use those o-rings
Hey Chad what rings are you using??
Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Man I can't wait till mine shows up.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Not a big fan of the silver carbon :-(
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JUD
Hey Chad what rings are you using??
springs? Black 9.5 front and 10.5 rear. Battle used 9.75 and 10.75 at neo, I started off with battles spring setup. It was a little on the soft side, so I went to the 9.5 front and 10.5 rear and was able to drive the car a little harder. Thats all ive ran so far, need to try what the US drivers liked when they used black springs. But the 9.5 and 10.5 was good at silver state and a couple days ago at hot rods
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skye b.

First impressin of my two new Mugens. First the ECO. Box stock setup with the exception of dropping the center diff oil from 10k to 5k. It was dialed!!!!!! Finished 2nd in a 20 car expert buggy class. On my 7th lap out of the box I ran a faster lap time than I ever did with my K car. Very consistent too.
The 6R-not so good. The car was real twitchy and unstable. I built it with the box stock setup. So I love the ECO setup and hate the 6R setup.
My question is, has anyone put an ECO setup on their 6R? I thing I will change the whole setup to match the 6R and start from there. Both cars are the same length so in my head this should work. Any one have any input on that?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the eco has more weight on the rear wheels compared to the nitro car, so you have to factor that into what you feel on track. i have one of travis amezcua's nitro setups from late last year and i believe he was running a setup very similar to the electric car.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
EJF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

My eco and nitro car have very similar setups, I do run the BCE +3 chassis on my nitro car, and my eco has stiffer springs, but shock locations, camber links etc are all the same.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 PM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alvinsmith75
First impressin of my two new Mugens. First the ECO. Box stock setup with the exception of dropping the center diff oil from 10k to 5k. It was dialed!!!!!! Finished 2nd in a 20 car expert buggy class. On my 7th lap out of the box I ran a faster lap time than I ever did with my K car. Very consistent too.
The 6R-not so good. The car was real twitchy and unstable. I built it with the box stock setup. So I love the ECO setup and hate the 6R setup.
My question is, has anyone put an ECO setup on their 6R? I thing I will change the whole setup to match the 6R and start from there. Both cars are the same length so in my head this should work. Any one have any input on that?
Does your ECO have the +5mm extended chassis?

In any case, the box stock 6R for me and several others that have posted here give the same first impression of the car being twitchy and unstable. The rear end just wants to step out in an uncontrollable manner.

I was coming from a Losi 8ight 2.0. Box stock setup, I couldn't control the 6R and I wanted to go back to Losi. I spent a lot of time testing a lot of different setups, changing 1 thing at a time, until I found a very fast setup. Once setup, this thing was much faster than the Losi or Associated that I've run. I also had a chance to drive a Kyosho MP9, and the K car was soooo easy to drive, but I felt the Mugen was a touch faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.