Like Tree6Likes

Official Team Associated Rival Monster Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've been using these batteries and love them, 8200 mah and a great price:

http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=66

I also have been using the sky toro 150 esc. You can program it with your cell phone over Bluetooth. You need the module for it but it's still relatively cheap. I've also run the stock motor on 6s and haven't had any problems. I mainly run 4s as 6s was crazy fast for me. It was just fun to give it a shot.
I have a few castle esc and prefer the toro over them. The castles for one reason or another have always lost settings or needed to be re-binded to the radio. Drives me crazy.
If your sticking with 4s just use the stock esc.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies.
I have been home in SoCal for a week, so decided to make a trip to the LHS.

Decided on 2 Venom packs. Price was a factor and with stock electronics I figured there was no point in really high C rating. Went with 2s 5000mah 40c.
What I liked about the Venom packs was the Lifetime Replacement.

Also went with an Onyx 245 charger.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Great charger and nothing wrong with those packs either. It will make a big difference.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Tech Rookie

since I do not have the truck in front of me, can any one tell me what size hex wrenches(allen) I need for this truck?
TIA
Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Thinking of going with the GPM aluminum diff housings and titanium hinge pins.

I dont need a repeat of replacing the gear box.

I would much rather replace arms
Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by LearningBrushle
When I first noticed the hinge pin problem, I thought the springs got weak, truck wouldn't come back up to ride height after drop test. I took the wheels and shocks off, worked the arms through the range of motion, they would not drop with gravity, so I pulled the pins and rolled them on a flat surface

Straightened them out best I could, reinstalled and the arms dropped with gravity.

The thing that surprised me about this problem, I didnt think any of my crashes were bad enough to warrant this issue. Just a couple of half throttle cart wheels.

I landed every full throttle jump rubber side down.

Maybe I just got a batch of really soft pins.

Now the bearing issue was noticed when the left rear wheel looked loose. Total of 4 runs, I replaced those with traxxas rubbers shielded bearings thinking maybe water(melted snow) caused the failure on the metal shield bearings. 8 runs later and the traxxas bearings are giving up. So I ordered rpm knuckles to get the over sized bearings
Thanks I will pull my pins and check them while I am waiting on my RPM A-Arms to show up. Did you install your RPM knuckles yet? were there any cutting grinding you had to do to them to make them fit?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Schlong Connery
I've been using these batteries and love them, 8200 mah and a great price:

I also have been using the sky toro 150 esc. You can program it with your cell phone over Bluetooth. You need the module for it but it's still relatively cheap. I've also run the stock motor on 6s and haven't had any problems. I mainly run 4s as 6s was crazy fast for me. It was just fun to give it a shot.
I have a few castle esc and prefer the toro over them. The castles for one reason or another have always lost settings or needed to be re-binded to the radio. Drives me crazy.
If your sticking with 4s just use the stock esc.
WOW!! that is a good price on those batteries. How long of a runtime do you get on those SPC 8200mah batteries? I can imagine that you get more punch out of the RIVAL from the stock as well. Thanks for the recommendation. I will be looking at getting these. I have heard a lot of good info on the SKY TORO 150, where did you get it from?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't have a clue how long my runs are, I have never timed them. I'll have to do this in the future.
I just ordered the esc from a Chinese seller on ebay. It came within 7-10 days.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info
Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Need a bit of help. I have serched the web,looked at u tube, read my manual. I can't see how to increase the voltage on the mamba monster2 bec. I need to up grade my servo to move the big joes 2. The stock servo is 130 oz. I'm guessing that I need at least 250 oz or 15kg. So I guess this is two questions. I'm looking to spend no more then $80 cdn. But most servos are high voltage that do that kind of power. The mm2 has 5.5 volts as default according to there web site. I don't want to fry my new esc any help would be good
Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

I have not received the rpm knuckles yet. I only ordered a pair for the rear since that is where my bearing failures are. Will install the fronts later.
As for lipo or not, I will never run NiMH again.
Truck is all stock except for 18t pinion and 500k in the center diff, 100k in front and rear riffs.
With 2s 40c packs, truck will do standing back flip, also will do rolling power on wheelies.
I had no idea the difference in packs would be this great.
No need for me to upgrade motor or ESC.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by LearningBrushle
I have not received the rpm knuckles yet. I only ordered a pair for the rear since that is where my bearing failures are. Will install the fronts later.
As for lipo or not, I will never run NiMH again.
Truck is all stock except for 18t pinion and 500k in the center diff, 100k in front and rear riffs.
With 2s 40c packs, truck will do standing back flip, also will do rolling power on wheelies.
I had no idea the difference in packs would be this great.
No need for me to upgrade motor or ESC.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I will be getting the 2 s Lipo's. So far I have upgraded the shocks with the aluminum caps, red springs on all 8 shocks, 60 wt shock oil, RPM A-Arms and 500k in the center diff. It feels a lot more controlled now without the chassis slap off of jumps, and the steering is tighter.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

I went with the FT aluminum shock caps, red and copper springs, 45wt shock oil. I set the suspension for arms level after a drop.
My ceramic bearings should be in tomorrow as well as my RPM order.
I will ave to pay attention to motor temps as it gets warmer. Temps are running cool enough now, but its -3 out today.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Tech Initiate

I used 200k diff fluid. That was crazy thick. None of the 2 hobby shops around here carry that weight. And I had trouble finding that. For all of yous that changed the diff fluid did yous replace the seal on the differential

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.