Search
Like Tree142Likes

VBC Lightning FX

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlexPate
I will have to look into it but I'm pretty sure this shock uses the dynamics springs from the d06
I'll get back to you after work hours

Cheers Thanks
Old 11-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fredp1
Cheers Thanks
I'm not having any luck so far, I might have to get a gforce spring checker lol
Old 11-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

I'm not having any luck so far, I might have to get a gforce spring checker lol
I too had a hard time finding any spring ratings for the yellow spring. The description says "Shock Spring Yellow S Soft".

It will be nice to know if the yoko blue is hard or softer than the yellow.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

here is my setup
the caster spacers are the 8deg setting two small spacers on the rear of the arm pin
the reactive caster is stock
there is around 45 grams under the bellcrank steering
there is 7 on each side of the chassis in front of the battery and 10 grams centered under the rear axle
notes for tuning the differential
if your diff is too loose you will notice while cornering that you are lagging power on corner exit or you might hear your car diffing out ( an audible whining noise) if your diff is too tight then your car will hook and spin when exiting the corner
i have stacked differential washers like so ()( to allow more pressure on the diff plates
if you slap the boards you will seize the 5x11 bearing in the differential
this will produce a locked rear axle feeling
i reccomend using the tamiya f104 thrust bearing to prevent this from happening as it is very frustrating when it happens
i hope this helps, if you have any further questions please dont hesitate to ask or message me on facebook enjoy

updated sheet
Old 11-18-2015, 01:51 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for sharing your setup Alex. Looks to me like a lot of toe out in the front. What's the reasoning behind it?

Christian
Old 11-18-2015, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skyball
Thanks for sharing your setup Alex. Looks to me like a lot of toe out in the front. What's the reasoning behind it?

Christian
I believe it is for straight line stability.
All I really know is it works
Old 11-18-2015, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What's with the red tape (?) around the steering knuckle in the second pic?
Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Serzoni
What's with the red tape (?) around the steering knuckle in the second pic?
A customer needed the lower c clips and I didn't have any spares so that was to keep everything together
Old 11-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The LHS that I frequent had a shipment of FX, they saved one for me and gave me a discount so I ended up leaving with the FX.

I started building the kit as soon as I went home and hit a snag halfway though the build. Thought it would only happen to me once, but turns out it seems like it is a common thing now a days. The kit is missing the king pin upper ball. The kit gave me some completely different ones that is way too small to fit in the upper ball cup arm. It was also missing 2 ball cups for the steering, I had to steal it off my old LightningF.

Pretty bummed out, Was thinking of hitting the tracks today to test it out..but now I have to go back to the LHS and hopefully they have that part instock. Might need to order it and god knows how long thats gonna take.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:01 AM
Regional Moderator

so I tried going to the LHS to see if they have those parts in stock, see if they either have a Flash04 they can take parts off for me, or actually have the part in stock. Turns out they didnt have either and contacted the distributor.

You can see the missing part here

I went home and went through the parts bin trying to see if theres ANYTHING I can cobble together to make this work for now. Found some random ball cups and kingpin balls, drilled the hole turnbuckle to thread into bigger and somehow got the front end to work.

Pretty satisfied with my fix and seems like it would work. Finished the rest of the car and hooked up the electronics.

The motor wires are hooked up similar to Alex's car, but it wouldnt fit the protoform '13 body I bought for the car. The wires interfere with the body too much. I ended up turning the motor 1/6th of a turn, resoldered the wires so they run next to the center shock and that seem to do the trick

Heres the finished car ready to hit the tracks
Old 11-22-2015, 06:26 AM
Regional Moderator

Impressions of the kit:

As expected from VBC, the fit and finish is pretty meh compared to others, but since I got at a discount and being almost 100 bucks cheaper than Xray, I can live with it.

The instructions werent the best, it totally left out the spacer needed to go under the upper arm hinge pin support thing. The standard size shorty battery is a super tight fit. I would need to sand down the CF by a lot to get enough clearance for strapping tape to pass though. Its so tight right now I think I wouldnt even need to tape my battery down and it wouldnt move at all. Not entirely sure if its the brand of battery Im using or LP battery would have a better fit. Also, a standard shorty battery pack would interfere with the rear pod travel. But this isnt such a big deal as the car would bottom out long before.

All in all, aside from missing parts and unclear instructions, Im satisfied with the kit. Have to wait till I hit the tracks to come to a more solid conclusion.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by disaster999
Impressions of the kit:

As expected from VBC, the fit and finish is pretty meh compared to others, but since I got at a discount and being almost 100 bucks cheaper than Xray, I can live with it.

The instructions werent the best, it totally left out the spacer needed to go under the upper arm hinge pin support thing. The standard size shorty battery is a super tight fit. I would need to sand down the CF by a lot to get enough clearance for strapping tape to pass though. Its so tight right now I think I wouldnt even need to tape my battery down and it wouldnt move at all. Not entirely sure if its the brand of battery Im using or LP battery would have a better fit. Also, a standard shorty battery pack would interfere with the rear pod travel. But this isnt such a big deal as the car would bottom out long before.

All in all, aside from missing parts and unclear instructions, Im satisfied with the kit. Have to wait till I hit the tracks to come to a more solid conclusion.
I am curious, how much slop do the upper king pin balls have in the ball cups? The stock ones have a ton of play, everyone looks at it an goes wtf, all I can say is it's working really well

Also if your running a regular shorty you won't need all that extra weight I added to mine.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Regional Moderator

To be clear, the kit wasnt missing 2 kingpin balls. It came with these

which clearly isnt remotely close to being the right ones.

They would just fall out of the ball cups. Im able to turn them sideways inside the cup like this

I might keep this jerry rigged king pin ball and cups of the correct ones that came with the kit are that sloppy. I dont plan on getting LP packs anytime soon so Im just gonna run this setup and see how I like it
Old 11-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by disaster999

The instructions werent the best, it totally left out the spacer needed to go under the upper arm hinge pin support thing. T.
Which spacer are you referring to?
Is it a shim?
Old 11-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Fredp1
Which spacer are you referring to?
Is it a shim?
No its a plastic spacer that goes under the aluminum piece where the upper arm hinge on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.