Like Tree107Likes

VBC Lightning FX

Reply

Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 AM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
AlexPate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,476
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default VBC Lightning FX

The NEW VBC Lightning FX is officially released, coming to or at a store near you












AlexPate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:40 PM
  #2  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 20
Default

Great Car!
Yokolun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:36 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (75)
 
dr_hfuhuhurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,504
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

In the process of building mine. First time with a F1...SUCH a nice kit. What's the preferred body/wing setup for carpet/rubber tire?
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:19 AM
  #4  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
AlexPate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,476
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post
In the process of building mine. First time with a F1...SUCH a nice kit. What's the preferred body/wing setup for carpet/rubber tire?
Everything you need right here. http://gripworksrc.com/collections/formula-1

F60 front wing, Fthirteen protoform body, 3 racing rear wing very durable, pits 571,572 tires, tcs 1031,1032 tires or the new Crc rubber.
And maybe just go with kit setup to start as there is enough new parts that a lightning f setup won't transfer over directly
AlexPate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 AM
  #5  
Tech Adept
 
skyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bavaria / Germany
Posts: 147
Default Transfer from Lightning F thread

Hi everyone,

we had a little discussion on the new Lightning FX over in the old Lightning F thread. To avoid further confusion I proposed there to continue our discussion regarding the FX here, where it belongs.

The interesting bits from the other thread up to now:

Yokolun posted a first picture and a video link:
Originally Posted by Yokolun View Post
My Lightning FX Testing in Hong Kong
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


I asked for a base setup and he answered:
Originally Posted by Yokolun View Post
car quite good for ETS because it is easy to drive,

i just change the wheel base to 264mm
Side Spring i try the Associated 3.75lb to 5.00lb
Low Traction i will choose 3.75lb
Normal or High i will try 5.00lb or 6.25lb
Otherwise, Yokomo Side Spring also work for Lightning F/ Lightning FX

Front Spring i use Ride Soft, Front wing i use the Serpent with High Downforce Setup

Rear Wing i use TRG one, High Traction maybe i will try Serpent rear wing

you may collect more rear wing and front wing and Shell for Testing
After building my car I had more questions ...
Originally Posted by skyball View Post
Thanks a lot for your advice, I will try as soon as I can get on track.

BTW, I just built my car today and found everything fitting very nicely. My only concern is with the front attachment of the shock. The eylet is a little too wide for the ball cup, so there's some play (more, than I like). Can you confirm that, and did you find a workaround?

Another question: the kit setup states a overall shock length of 64.6 mm. If I measure that between the centers of the shock eyelets (which is the usual way IMHO), then the shock would get much too long. If I measure it from end to end (including the eylets plus their rim), then I get a reasonable shock length allowing for just a little droop. How do you measure shock length, and what's you're actual setting?

Greets, Christian
In reply AlexPate recommended:
Originally Posted by AlexPate View Post
I would base the shock length on pod droop. Usually around 1.5mm is what you want. Just adjust the overall length untill your desired pod droop is acheived
So far so good,

Christian
skyball is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:45 AM
  #6  
Tech Adept
 
skyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bavaria / Germany
Posts: 147
Default

Originally Posted by skyball View Post
My only concern is with the front attachment of the shock. The eylet is a little too wide for the ball cup, so there's some play (more, than I like). Can you confirm that, and did you find a workaround?
...anybody else experiencing this? Ideas, workarounds?
skyball is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:08 AM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I had the original Flash F1 car from them. Plastics were to soft and stripped out (front upper arms) and so was the aluminum. I did a lot of work to fix the problems brought about by poor materials design. I hope this car is better but I will stick with my CRC WTF1.
old_dude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 AM
  #8  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
AlexPate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,476
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
I had the original Flash F1 car from them. Plastics were to soft and stripped out (front upper arms) and so was the aluminum. I did a lot of work to fix the problems brought about by poor materials design. I hope this car is better but I will stick with my CRC WTF1.
Vbc plastics a have come along way since back then.
The Lightning f has been virtually indestructible. The only time I ever broke mine was when it really deserved it.
AlexPate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:15 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
AlexPate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,476
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skyball View Post
...anybody else experiencing this? Ideas, workarounds?
I don't have mine yet so I can't confirm what you are experiencing. What about putting o-rings on either side of the ball cup inside the mount?
AlexPate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:14 PM
  #10  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
angrymelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 816
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AlexPate View Post
I don't have mine yet so I can't confirm what you are experiencing. What about putting o-rings on either side of the ball cup inside the mount?
Another hack you can do is to take the clear plastic that parts come in, and pinch it between the ball and cup and trim the excess. It still allows the ball to move freely, and helps reduce the slop.
angrymelon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:51 PM
  #11  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
AlexPate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,476
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Kits should be arriving stateside in 1-2 weeks.
AlexPate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:38 AM
  #12  
Tech Adept
 
skyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bavaria / Germany
Posts: 147
Default

Originally Posted by skyball View Post
My only concern is with the front attachment of the shock. The eyelet is a little too wide for the ball cup, so there's some play (more, than I like).
So here is my solution for the moment.
Used parts:
1 aluminum spacer 3 x 5.5 x 3 mm
2 plastic washers 3 x 6 x 1 mm

I pushed the aluminum spacer into the shock eylet, where it sits just right. Then I attached the shock to the mount and slid one of the plastic washers onto the screw on either side of the shock eyelet.

This way the shock sits centered, without slop. Take care not to overtighten the screw, otherwise the shock will bind.

EDIT: I DON'T RECOMMENDED THIS ANYMORE AS IT ONLY ALLOWS FOR VERTICAL ACTION OF THE SHOCK, BUT LATERAL ACTION IS ALSO NEEDED WHEN THE POD TILTS.

Christian
Attached Thumbnails VBC Lightning FX-lfx-shock-parts.jpg   VBC Lightning FX-lfx-shock-assembled.jpg  

Last edited by skyball; 09-25-2015 at 01:19 AM. Reason: not recommended anymore
skyball is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:49 AM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (75)
 
dr_hfuhuhurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,504
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

You could use something like the kingpin shims. That should work.
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:26 AM
  #14  
Tech Adept
 
skyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bavaria / Germany
Posts: 147
Default

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post
You could use something like the kingpin shims. That should work.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I found an old 3racing eyelet in my box, that fits tighter on the original ball. So I'm fine now.

Christian
skyball is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:28 AM
  #15  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
AlexPate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,476
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skyball View Post
So here is my solution for the moment.
Used parts:
1 aluminum spacer 3 x 5.5 x 3 mm
2 plastic washers 3 x 6 x 1 mm

I pushed the aluminum spacer into the shock eylet, where it sits just right. Then I attached the shock to the mount and slid one of the plastic washers onto the screw on either side of the shock eyelet.

This way the shock sits centered, without slop. Take care not to overtighten the screw, otherwise the shock will bind.

EDIT: I DON'T RECOMMENDED THIS ANYMORE AS IT ONLY ALLOWS FOR VERTICAL ACTION OF THE SHOCK, BUT LATERAL ACTION IS ALSO NEEDED WHEN THE POD TILTS.

Christian
I have found that using an upper pivot ball from a lightning pan car fits the shock eye snugly, all you need is .3mm shims to center the ball in te shock mount.
Part number is
B-02-Vbc-5068
They also sell shim sets I think.
AlexPate is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service