R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   VBC Lightning FX (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/892475-vbc-lightning-fx.html)

AlexPate 09-14-2015 10:05 AM

VBC Lightning FX
 
The NEW VBC Lightning FX is officially released, coming to or at a store near you
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/090...g?v=1441377084
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...52657719539074

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...57317151908853
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...30152247895826
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...50355201907166
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...73325941373166
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...75004303860500
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...56322880650125
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...04859482949088
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...53815687279581
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...54839017460255
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...91439161091195

Yokolun 09-15-2015 07:40 PM

Great Car!

dr_hfuhuhurr 09-16-2015 07:36 AM

In the process of building mine. First time with a F1...SUCH a nice kit. What's the preferred body/wing setup for carpet/rubber tire?

AlexPate 09-17-2015 07:19 AM


Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr (Post 14185870)
In the process of building mine. First time with a F1...SUCH a nice kit. What's the preferred body/wing setup for carpet/rubber tire?

Everything you need right here. http://gripworksrc.com/collections/formula-1

F60 front wing, Fthirteen protoform body, 3 racing rear wing very durable, pits 571,572 tires, tcs 1031,1032 tires or the new Crc rubber.
And maybe just go with kit setup to start as there is enough new parts that a lightning f setup won't transfer over directly

skyball 09-17-2015 10:51 AM

Transfer from Lightning F thread
 
Hi everyone,

we had a little discussion on the new Lightning FX over in the old Lightning F thread. To avoid further confusion I proposed there to continue our discussion regarding the FX here, where it belongs.

The interesting bits from the other thread up to now:

Yokolun posted a first picture and a video link:

Originally Posted by Yokolun (Post 14178888)
My Lightning FX Testing in Hong Kong :p
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


https://scontent-hkg3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...15807542_o.jpg

I asked for a base setup and he answered:

Originally Posted by Yokolun (Post 14178988)
car quite good for ETS because it is easy to drive,

i just change the wheel base to 264mm
Side Spring i try the Associated 3.75lb to 5.00lb
Low Traction i will choose 3.75lb
Normal or High i will try 5.00lb or 6.25lb
Otherwise, Yokomo Side Spring also work for Lightning F/ Lightning FX

Front Spring i use Ride Soft, Front wing i use the Serpent with High Downforce Setup

Rear Wing i use TRG one, High Traction maybe i will try Serpent rear wing

you may collect more rear wing and front wing and Shell for Testing

After building my car I had more questions ;)...

Originally Posted by skyball (Post 14187464)
Thanks a lot for your advice, I will try as soon as I can get on track.

BTW, I just built my car today and found everything fitting very nicely. My only concern is with the front attachment of the shock. The eylet is a little too wide for the ball cup, so there's some play (more, than I like). Can you confirm that, and did you find a workaround?

Another question: the kit setup states a overall shock length of 64.6 mm. If I measure that between the centers of the shock eyelets (which is the usual way IMHO), then the shock would get much too long. If I measure it from end to end (including the eylets plus their rim), then I get a reasonable shock length allowing for just a little droop. How do you measure shock length, and what's you're actual setting?

Greets, Christian

In reply AlexPate recommended:

Originally Posted by AlexPate (Post 14187468)
I would base the shock length on pod droop. Usually around 1.5mm is what you want. Just adjust the overall length untill your desired pod droop is acheived

So far so good,

Christian

skyball 09-18-2015 01:45 AM


Originally Posted by skyball (Post 14187464)
My only concern is with the front attachment of the shock. The eylet is a little too wide for the ball cup, so there's some play (more, than I like). Can you confirm that, and did you find a workaround?

...anybody else experiencing this? Ideas, workarounds?

old_dude 09-18-2015 04:08 AM

I had the original Flash F1 car from them. Plastics were to soft and stripped out (front upper arms) and so was the aluminum. I did a lot of work to fix the problems brought about by poor materials design. I hope this car is better but I will stick with my CRC WTF1.

AlexPate 09-18-2015 10:14 AM


Originally Posted by old_dude (Post 14188280)
I had the original Flash F1 car from them. Plastics were to soft and stripped out (front upper arms) and so was the aluminum. I did a lot of work to fix the problems brought about by poor materials design. I hope this car is better but I will stick with my CRC WTF1.

Vbc plastics a have come along way since back then.
The Lightning f has been virtually indestructible. The only time I ever broke mine was when it really deserved it.

AlexPate 09-18-2015 10:15 AM


Originally Posted by skyball (Post 14188227)
...anybody else experiencing this? Ideas, workarounds?

I don't have mine yet so I can't confirm what you are experiencing. What about putting o-rings on either side of the ball cup inside the mount?

angrymelon 09-18-2015 01:14 PM


Originally Posted by AlexPate (Post 14188749)
I don't have mine yet so I can't confirm what you are experiencing. What about putting o-rings on either side of the ball cup inside the mount?

Another hack you can do is to take the clear plastic that parts come in, and pinch it between the ball and cup and trim the excess. It still allows the ball to move freely, and helps reduce the slop.

AlexPate 09-21-2015 02:51 PM

Kits should be arriving stateside in 1-2 weeks.

skyball 09-25-2015 12:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by skyball (Post 14188227)
My only concern is with the front attachment of the shock. The eyelet is a little too wide for the ball cup, so there's some play (more, than I like).

So here is my solution for the moment.
Used parts:
1 aluminum spacer 3 x 5.5 x 3 mm
2 plastic washers 3 x 6 x 1 mm

I pushed the aluminum spacer into the shock eylet, where it sits just right. Then I attached the shock to the mount and slid one of the plastic washers onto the screw on either side of the shock eyelet.

This way the shock sits centered, without slop. Take care not to overtighten the screw, otherwise the shock will bind.

EDIT: I DON'T RECOMMENDED THIS ANYMORE AS IT ONLY ALLOWS FOR VERTICAL ACTION OF THE SHOCK, BUT LATERAL ACTION IS ALSO NEEDED WHEN THE POD TILTS.

Christian

dr_hfuhuhurr 09-25-2015 06:49 AM

You could use something like the kingpin shims. That should work.

skyball 09-25-2015 08:26 AM


Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr (Post 14197583)
You could use something like the kingpin shims. That should work.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I found an old 3racing eyelet in my box, that fits tighter on the original ball. So I'm fine now.

Christian

AlexPate 09-27-2015 12:28 AM


Originally Posted by skyball (Post 14197367)
So here is my solution for the moment.
Used parts:
1 aluminum spacer 3 x 5.5 x 3 mm
2 plastic washers 3 x 6 x 1 mm

I pushed the aluminum spacer into the shock eylet, where it sits just right. Then I attached the shock to the mount and slid one of the plastic washers onto the screw on either side of the shock eyelet.

This way the shock sits centered, without slop. Take care not to overtighten the screw, otherwise the shock will bind.

EDIT: I DON'T RECOMMENDED THIS ANYMORE AS IT ONLY ALLOWS FOR VERTICAL ACTION OF THE SHOCK, BUT LATERAL ACTION IS ALSO NEEDED WHEN THE POD TILTS.

Christian

I have found that using an upper pivot ball from a lightning pan car fits the shock eye snugly, all you need is .3mm shims to center the ball in te shock mount.
Part number is
B-02-Vbc-5068
They also sell shim sets I think.


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:59 PM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.6
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.