Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TT02 Thread >

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Like Tree870Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Old 07-20-2022, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeTKD View Post
I forget if the TT02R comes with ball bearings. Donít forget to purchase those.
It does, full set is included.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Spool makes the car much easier to drive, unless you put it in on the wrong end 😉

ProSpec is sssssllllllloooooowwww racing.. you can sip your coffee while going down the back straight and still have time to make a correction lol.
Are you using the Spec Gravity motor for that class?.. answered my own question... Reedy FT....

Last edited by Robio; 07-20-2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default No servo saver?

Thoughts on just skipping the servo saver? After one race weekend stock is trashed. Car is otherwise stock aside from bearings. I know the Tamiya high torque is really good, but I have servo horns in my parts box from racing off road years ago and that will save the trip to the LHS, assuming they have it or can get it this week.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know about you, but I tend to feel that my time is better spent than changing gears in expensive highspeed servo's. It only takes one bad day and you'll never second guess yourself again.
The Tamiya High Torque is the only other servo saver I use rather than the Xray X-Stiff Composite servo saver that I run in almost all my cars.
Raman likes this.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bondo21d View Post
Thoughts on just skipping the servo saver? After one race weekend stock is trashed. Car is otherwise stock aside from bearings. I know the Tamiya high torque is really good, but I have servo horns in my parts box from racing off road years ago and that will save the trip to the LHS, assuming they have it or can get it this week.
Originally Posted by simple View Post
I don't know about you, but I tend to feel that my time is better spent than changing gears in expensive highspeed servo's. It only takes one bad day and you'll never second guess yourself again.
The Tamiya High Torque is the only other servo saver I use rather than the Xray X-Stiff Composite servo saver that I run in almost all my cars.
FWIW, when I used the Tamiya Hi Torque servo saver, it wasn't long before it wouldn't return to center when bashing. Since going to a power hobbies solid horn, I've had to change the gears one time in my savox in 8 months of hard bashing, and that was only cause I hit something at very high speed.

Me personally, I'd rather spend ~$15 on a metal gear set when needed instead of dealing with a servo saver that no longer centers properly. I'm sure that issue could be even more annoying if you're actually racing. All my cars now have a solid servo horn aside from my budget TT02, which has a secondhand Kimborough servo saver.

The Kimborough servo saver is a good option if you don't want to run a solid horn; but if you run a solid horn, I'd recommend a robust, quality metal gear servo.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simple View Post
+1

Xray servo saver is first choice, especially when racing. Tamiya is pretty darn good.. does wear.. but moving parts wear.

Iíd rather replace a servo saver than gears in servo. Youíre not just chipping a gear when you go direct, there is other collateral damage that in the long run will ruin the servo.. so unless itís a cheap $20, use a servo saver
simple likes this.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Setup help

Hey
I am currently setting up my tt02 for some parking lot racing. I am just getting back into it after a few years off. Please comment on my setup, any direction would be appreciated. My concern is the FDR is way off. Plus I am struggling to get no rebound in those shocks, any tips?

Sport tuned motor 64p 95t/43 FDR 5.75
Yeah 55mm shocks 500cst with 3 hole and front and rear red springs soft. from the yeah kit.
Ride height 5mm front and back
gear diffs front and rear
front diff 20k
rear diff 8k
CVD front and rear
Fully ceramic bearings cage and rollers.
hard chassis
3.0 degrees rear toe in
1.0 front toe out
Zoo racing hellcat body
HW 1060 esc

gwhiz likes this.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

ZLeader

Gearing: You need the yeah racing motor mount if you donít have it. The maximum gear combo I have been able to fit in TT02 is 78T / 53T 3.83 fdr. This was with a brushless 21.5. You will need to trim the gear box cover or even cut a hole out to clear the large pinion.

Now with a sport tune however, an FDR of 3.8 will heat the brushes and launch them inside the motor lol.. Iíve experience it first hand. So youíre probably need to gear it to 4.5 fdr tops.

Springs: Try a different brand spring.. yeah racing springs rates are an unknown for racing, so hard to say what you need.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

zleader 99, have a look at my post Tamiya TT02 Thread for the mods I made to accommodate brushless
Old 07-28-2022, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you both for the insite. I did install the highspeed gear set and the Yeah motor mount I had it out this afternoon doing some practice in the school parking lot. The motor was a little warm. I changed to a 41/95 with an FDR of 6.0ish. I will try that tomorrow,
As for the shocks, I have ordered the TRF 55mm however they are on back order, I tried the TRF springs on the yeah 55mm shocks. DId not seem to work well, I could not get the right hight in check . I will try the red rear and blue front from the yeah kit. Hopefully that will correct my issues untill the tamiya shocks come in. I am having a trouble getting no rebound on the yeah shocks.
I am stuck to using the tamiya brushed motors for our club race. We run box stock silver can and chassis with bearings The mod class is bascially any add ons. However Brush motors Torque or Sport tune and the HW 1060 or Tamiya version.

SteveM I will check out your post shorty.

Is there a big difference run the TT02 with the TA05 suspension? I looking to set one up for parking lot and one for carpet.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2022, 07:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by zleader_99 View Post
Hey
I am currently setting up my tt02 for some parking lot racing. I am just getting back into it after a few years off. Please comment on my setup, any direction would be appreciated. My concern is the FDR is way off. Plus I am struggling to get no rebound in those shocks, any tips?
What class are you planning on running first?
Old 07-29-2022, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zleader_99 View Post
Thank you both for the insite. I did install the highspeed gear set and the Yeah motor mount I had it out this afternoon doing some practice in the school parking lot. The motor was a little warm. I changed to a 41/95 with an FDR of 6.0ish. I will try that tomorrow,
As for the shocks, I have ordered the TRF 55mm however they are on back order, I tried the TRF springs on the yeah 55mm shocks. DId not seem to work well, I could not get the right hight in check . I will try the red rear and blue front from the yeah kit. Hopefully that will correct my issues untill the tamiya shocks come in. I am having a trouble getting no rebound on the yeah shocks.
I am stuck to using the tamiya brushed motors for our club race. We run box stock silver can and chassis with bearings The mod class is bascially any add ons. However Brush motors Torque or Sport tune and the HW 1060 or Tamiya version.

SteveM I will check out your post shorty.

Is there a big difference run the TT02 with the TA05 suspension? I looking to set one up for parking lot and one for carpet.

Thanks
zero rebound, you need to drill a hole
in the cap, same is needed with TRF shocks.

when you say right height, is it due to the springs being too soft? Too short? Post pictures we we can help

The TA05 style suspension that comes with the type S if allowed is much better suspension geometry. The arms are longer, better ability to adjust camber, roll centre etc. you also can opt for the down stops which will give you droop control.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:11 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the tip on the drilling the cap. Are the TRF shocks any better than the Yeah? For my level of racing I highly doubt it.
When I used the TRF springs on the Yeah shocks I could not obtain the ride height. Standing the spring next to each other the Tamiya was a coil or two longer. When I get home I will take a picture.
I found the Yeah Red on the rear and yellow up front worked for a starting point. Using 500cst oil. Sunday I plan on doing a club racing. I will see how it goes.

So far the only issue I have had was a bent turnbuckle in the upper front adjustable arm. I was able to replace it with a Ti one from an xray t4 kit I found. Hopefully that will tighten up the front a little.

Old 07-31-2022, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

I do believe I bought the wrong spring set, thats why I was having trouble setting the ride height on the YEAH shocks.
Correct me if I SHOULD have bought the soft kit.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Sorted the spring issue out. I did not know Tamiya had so many types of TC springs. The one I pictured above is the right one. I ended up using the Yellow (medium) for the front and a Blue soft from the 53163 road rally spring set.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.