Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hi Guys,
I recently swapped all my plastic to the reinforced carbon stuff (chassis, braces, bulkheads, etc). I notice that when I lay the car down flat, with no tires on, on my setup board, it doesn't sit FLAT. It can rock side to side, or actually, more like diagonally. I know it's not a carbon fiber chassis, but shouldn't it be sitting flat? Or is that just the downside of a tub chassis? Does this happen to the rest of you?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ittjv
Hi Guys,
I recently swapped all my plastic to the reinforced carbon stuff (chassis, braces, bulkheads, etc). I notice that when I lay the car down flat, with no tires on, on my setup board, it doesn't sit FLAT. It can rock side to side, or actually, more like diagonally. I know it's not a carbon fiber chassis, but shouldn't it be sitting flat? Or is that just the downside of a tub chassis? Does this happen to the rest of you?
dont know if they call that as a "tweak chassis"
Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Tech Adept

yeah his chassis is tweaked. loosen all the screws on the stiffeners and push down on both ends of the chassis and tighten the screws while pushing down. also get someone to help you it just makes it easyer
Old 01-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vlozity
its based on a TA05 ... how would you classify it then?
It is based on the transmission of the TA05 just like the TRF501X is. It may share the bulkheads and pulleys, but that is as far as it goes, it has different suspension, differeng width, shorter wheelbase, shorter chassis, the list goes on.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trf_racer
Do you mean the 30th Anniversary Porsche 934? That's not really a TA05....
yup that's what i mean sorry my mistake, i'm really bad on numbers
Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi Guys,
Sorry to let you in on a very bad joke but we've out here noticed that every chassis even the plastic ones (not to the same degree) has this 'diagonal tweak'
Old 01-12-2007, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vlozity
its based on a TA05 ... how would you classify it then?
My own part number for this kit would be almostasrareasrockinghorses**t
Old 01-12-2007, 05:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wonder if you could buy the 30th porsche and transfer all those goodies onto a TA05 carbon tub chassis...or 3racing carbon one....hmmm...

too bad it cost $750! Jeezz, even the MRE doesnt cost THAT much.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Saz
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gerok
Alright thanks for the input guys. I pretty much made up my mind on what parts to get. However, I do have a quick question - I know there's so many variations for aluminum suspension mounts, and being that our drift tracks are really really tight, which aluminum inner and outer mounts would you folks recommend? and which cars do they interchange with? I'm confused with xa, xb, ff +1, etc. I emailed RC champ on the other parts but didn't know what suspension mounts to get so, part numbers for the aluminum suspension would be nice TIA.

With the lightweight suspension set, I use Front (1B - XB) and rear (XD - 1X).
Old 01-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Aluma
I wonder if you could buy the 30th porsche and transfer all those goodies onto a TA05 carbon tub chassis...or 3racing carbon one....hmmm...

too bad it cost $750! Jeezz, even the MRE doesnt cost THAT much.
Yeah but it was meant to be a collectors item, not a race car.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

I was wondering the same thing.....is there some sort of nomenclature or a cross reference to the aluminum suspension mounts ? Ive looked on Tamiyas website and couldnt really find anything.
I dont know what exatly XD - 1X means. I downloaded an instruction manual but didnt see any chart saying what each number and stuff represents. Is there a place i can look and learn?

Sorry for the newb questions but ive been contemplating buying this car for awhile now and kinda want to keep to buying the right stuff the first time as opposed to trial and error. Unfortunately there is no parts support whatsoever where I live and nobody at my track drives a Tamiya because of the lack of parts situation. That being said I want to get the TA05 and race rubber tire on carpet and know that I should probably have 3 Degree toe in in the rear and about .5 toe out on the front. Any suggestions for suspension mounts ? or better yet a link where I could learn about them.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wcalaker
I was wondering the same thing.....is there some sort of nomenclature or a cross reference to the aluminum suspension mounts ? Ive looked on Tamiyas website and couldnt really find anything.
I dont know what exatly XD - 1X means. I downloaded an instruction manual but didnt see any chart saying what each number and stuff represents. Is there a place i can look and learn?

Sorry for the newb questions but ive been contemplating buying this car for awhile now and kinda want to keep to buying the right stuff the first time as opposed to trial and error. Unfortunately there is no parts support whatsoever where I live and nobody at my track drives a Tamiya because of the lack of parts situation. That being said I want to get the TA05 and race rubber tire on carpet and know that I should probably have 3 Degree toe in in the rear and about .5 toe out on the front. Any suggestions for suspension mounts ? or better yet a link where I could learn about them.

Thanks
the blocks have a guide included in the package.
Also check this site for the sheets he built for the mounts
http://www.thard.co.uk/
Old 01-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayBee
Sorry to let you in on a very bad joke but we've out here noticed that every chassis even the plastic ones (not to the same degree) has this 'diagonal tweak'
I hear ya. Anyone know how to straighten it out a bit? Maybe heat up the chassis or something? I'm sure it can't help the car's handling.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

I hear ya. Anyone know how to straighten it out a bit? Maybe heat up the chassis or something? I'm sure it can't help the car's handling.
We used to put the TA04 chassis in the freezer.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
We used to put the TA04 chassis in the freezer.
Could you elaborate? Do you just let it sit in there on a smooth surface?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.