R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2007, 12:17 AM   #6256
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 1,041
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Hi Guys,
I recently swapped all my plastic to the reinforced carbon stuff (chassis, braces, bulkheads, etc). I notice that when I lay the car down flat, with no tires on, on my setup board, it doesn't sit FLAT. It can rock side to side, or actually, more like diagonally. I know it's not a carbon fiber chassis, but shouldn't it be sitting flat? Or is that just the downside of a tub chassis? Does this happen to the rest of you?
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 AM   #6257
Tech Master
 
buboy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: manila,philippines
Posts: 1,601
Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittjv
Hi Guys,
I recently swapped all my plastic to the reinforced carbon stuff (chassis, braces, bulkheads, etc). I notice that when I lay the car down flat, with no tires on, on my setup board, it doesn't sit FLAT. It can rock side to side, or actually, more like diagonally. I know it's not a carbon fiber chassis, but shouldn't it be sitting flat? Or is that just the downside of a tub chassis? Does this happen to the rest of you?
dont know if they call that as a "tweak chassis"
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 AM   #6258
Tech Adept
 
shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland,New Zealand
Posts: 106
Default

yeah his chassis is tweaked. loosen all the screws on the stiffeners and push down on both ends of the chassis and tighten the screws while pushing down. also get someone to help you it just makes it easyer
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #6259
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,870
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlozity
its based on a TA05 ... how would you classify it then?
It is based on the transmission of the TA05 just like the TRF501X is. It may share the bulkheads and pulleys, but that is as far as it goes, it has different suspension, differeng width, shorter wheelbase, shorter chassis, the list goes on.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #6260
Tech Master
 
buboy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: manila,philippines
Posts: 1,601
Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_racer
Do you mean the 30th Anniversary Porsche 934? That's not really a TA05....
yup that's what i mean sorry my mistake, i'm really bad on numbers
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:49 AM   #6261
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittjv
Hi Guys,
I recently swapped all my plastic to the reinforced carbon stuff (chassis, braces, bulkheads, etc). I notice that when I lay the car down flat, with no tires on, on my setup board, it doesn't sit FLAT. It can rock side to side, or actually, more like diagonally. I know it's not a carbon fiber chassis, but shouldn't it be sitting flat? Or is that just the downside of a tub chassis? Does this happen to the rest of you?
Sorry to let you in on a very bad joke but we've out here noticed that every chassis even the plastic ones (not to the same degree) has this 'diagonal tweak'
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:42 AM   #6262
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlozity
its based on a TA05 ... how would you classify it then?
My own part number for this kit would be almostasrareasrockinghorses**t
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #6263
Tech Fanatic
 
Aluma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edinburg TX
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I wonder if you could buy the 30th porsche and transfer all those goodies onto a TA05 carbon tub chassis...or 3racing carbon one....hmmm...

too bad it cost $750! Jeezz, even the MRE doesnt cost THAT much.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #6264
Saz
Tech Rookie
 
Saz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerok
Alright thanks for the input guys. I pretty much made up my mind on what parts to get. However, I do have a quick question - I know there's so many variations for aluminum suspension mounts, and being that our drift tracks are really really tight, which aluminum inner and outer mounts would you folks recommend? and which cars do they interchange with? I'm confused with xa, xb, ff +1, etc. I emailed RC champ on the other parts but didn't know what suspension mounts to get so, part numbers for the aluminum suspension would be nice TIA.

With the lightweight suspension set, I use Front (1B - XB) and rear (XD - 1X).
Saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #6265
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma
I wonder if you could buy the 30th porsche and transfer all those goodies onto a TA05 carbon tub chassis...or 3racing carbon one....hmmm...

too bad it cost $750! Jeezz, even the MRE doesnt cost THAT much.
Yeah but it was meant to be a collectors item, not a race car.
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #6266
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 377
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I was wondering the same thing.....is there some sort of nomenclature or a cross reference to the aluminum suspension mounts ? Ive looked on Tamiyas website and couldnt really find anything.
I dont know what exatly XD - 1X means. I downloaded an instruction manual but didnt see any chart saying what each number and stuff represents. Is there a place i can look and learn?

Sorry for the newb questions but ive been contemplating buying this car for awhile now and kinda want to keep to buying the right stuff the first time as opposed to trial and error. Unfortunately there is no parts support whatsoever where I live and nobody at my track drives a Tamiya because of the lack of parts situation. That being said I want to get the TA05 and race rubber tire on carpet and know that I should probably have 3 Degree toe in in the rear and about .5 toe out on the front. Any suggestions for suspension mounts ? or better yet a link where I could learn about them.

Thanks
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #6267
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalaker
I was wondering the same thing.....is there some sort of nomenclature or a cross reference to the aluminum suspension mounts ? Ive looked on Tamiyas website and couldnt really find anything.
I dont know what exatly XD - 1X means. I downloaded an instruction manual but didnt see any chart saying what each number and stuff represents. Is there a place i can look and learn?

Sorry for the newb questions but ive been contemplating buying this car for awhile now and kinda want to keep to buying the right stuff the first time as opposed to trial and error. Unfortunately there is no parts support whatsoever where I live and nobody at my track drives a Tamiya because of the lack of parts situation. That being said I want to get the TA05 and race rubber tire on carpet and know that I should probably have 3 Degree toe in in the rear and about .5 toe out on the front. Any suggestions for suspension mounts ? or better yet a link where I could learn about them.

Thanks
the blocks have a guide included in the package.
Also check this site for the sheets he built for the mounts
http://www.thard.co.uk/
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #6268
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 1,041
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee
Sorry to let you in on a very bad joke but we've out here noticed that every chassis even the plastic ones (not to the same degree) has this 'diagonal tweak'
I hear ya. Anyone know how to straighten it out a bit? Maybe heat up the chassis or something? I'm sure it can't help the car's handling.
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #6269
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittjv
I hear ya. Anyone know how to straighten it out a bit? Maybe heat up the chassis or something? I'm sure it can't help the car's handling.
We used to put the TA04 chassis in the freezer.
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #6270
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 1,041
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
We used to put the TA04 chassis in the freezer.
Could you elaborate? Do you just let it sit in there on a smooth surface?
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Tamiya TA05-R (TA05) TCS Legal limbohz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-05-2008 08:58 PM
New Tamiya TA05 R touring car/motor/esc! Frost99999 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 08-07-2007 12:24 PM
FWD touring car/sedan hellbilly R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 01-12-2007 06:22 PM
Tamiya TA05 full race sedan, Tons of Hop Ups lbckevin R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 08-29-2006 03:05 PM
want to buy a touring/sedan car traxxasracer Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing 7 09-21-2004 06:36 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:41 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net