Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davetamiya
HI guys
See Jaybee's pic of his TA05 and noticed the fan but there doesnt appear to be a heatsink. Anyone got any ideas? Also does anyone know the part numbers of the tamiya Nsx and Skyline liteweight bodyshells?
There is a heatsink connected to the fan; it's from Integy....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLUD3
Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

DONT KNOW IF THIS AS BEEN POSTED BEFORE.
TWO TA05 GOING AROUND
VID ME
Old 01-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Initiate

I just got me a brand new TA05 2 weeks ago and started building it today. However, I stopped because all these hop ups and flashy aluminum/cf parts you folks are posting got my wallet itchy. I'm really active in the RC drifting scene here in Hawaii and have to say the the TL01 is the best to hook up on the road with ABS tires, hands down, however, I just had to "upgrade" to a better/precise chassis.

Now, the question is, what essential hop-up parts would you folks recommend? (I don't have enough time to read 200+ pages to see what's great and what's not.. ) I have a ~$250 budget and don't want to spend any more or it would make more sense just to get a 415msx. On precisionrc.com, I went crazy with the 3racing cf and aluminum parts to equal out to 250, not including the front-one way and trf shocks, but figured I don't need it. So right now the things on my list are
-front one way
-trf dampners
-tamiya front and rear damper stay

I'm going to try to stick to Tamiya parts for now, but if you folks want to recommend any other brand parts, please let me know.

TIA....
Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Gerok: If your looking for essentials and not just bling, then heres some stuff that should top your list.

-Sway bar set(must have for any car)
-Spring set(must have for any car)
-Arimid belts (might as well get the blue ones )

And heres some 'just for kicks' stuff
-All carbon parts
-Graphite shock towers
-TRF dampers(the stock units work just as well in my opinion)

The list is a lot longer, but thats a good place to start. As always I recommend people run the car stock first and then upgrade... but to each his own...

All these hop ups can be gotten for about half what you'd pay in the states if you order from RC Champ. Ordering from there will enable you to trick out your TA05 without even maxing out that spending limit you set.

Good luck and I hope you become a regular here with us.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

does anyone run front one way on the ta05? please let me know.. pros and cons..
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

I run front and centre one-ways on my daughters 05.

Gives better roll thru corners = higher corner speed.
This is more apparant on slower technical type tracks. I do not have any experience with big open fast sweeping type of corners, but the guys I know who do, either use very tight front ball diff or spool.

Most people find it hard at first to get used to front one-way (it took me 3 months to equal my ball diff times with my EvoIV). My daughter preferred the one ways from day one, bloody kids adapt so much faster.

good luck
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Darkseid: What's a good spring set for the TA-05? Do you have part numbers?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
Darkseid: What's a good spring set for the TA-05? Do you have part numbers?
If your using Tamiya's shocks, then I would start with their set.

TAM53440 for about $14.25. That gives you a pair each of the 'short' red, yellow, blue, and white springs. If you want doubles, just order two sets.

Or you can also use Associated's spring set, which many people who run carpet prefer, because the Tamiya set maxes out at around the 20pound range, where as with the Associated set, you can go much stiffer than that.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Or better yet...order the stealthy "milky blue" spring set from Tamiyausa.com. It gives you all the 4 rates (2x red/blue/yellow/white) but all are painted a milky bluish white and have just a dot of the real color on the bottom. No one knows your spring selection then (if you care) and they cost the same as the standard springs.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Hop-ups (bare minimum)

Originally Posted by gerok
I just got me a brand new TA05 2 weeks ago and started building it today. However, I stopped because all these hop ups and flashy aluminum/cf parts you folks are posting got my wallet itchy. I'm really active in the RC drifting scene here in Hawaii and have to say the the TL01 is the best to hook up on the road with ABS tires, hands down, however, I just had to "upgrade" to a better/precise chassis.

Now, the question is, what essential hop-up parts would you folks recommend? (I don't have enough time to read 200+ pages to see what's great and what's not.. ) I have a ~$250 budget and don't want to spend any more or it would make more sense just to get a 415msx. On precisionrc.com, I went crazy with the 3racing cf and aluminum parts to equal out to 250, not including the front-one way and trf shocks, but figured I don't need it. So right now the things on my list are
-front one way
-trf dampners
-tamiya front and rear damper stay

I'm going to try to stick to Tamiya parts for now, but if you folks want to recommend any other brand parts, please let me know.

TIA....
Bare bones minimum is what you asked to stay in budget. All these hop-ups are an improvment from stock but definitly not as necessary as what I would start with.
First!=Universals all the way around (Alum. in rear and steel in front, steel axles 4 pls.) Aluminum outdrives front and rear and alum. 6mm hex wheel hubs. All these hop ups are a must. These are the weak links in the TA05 drivetrain that need to be corrected if you plan on doing any serious driving. Drift or otherwise! These are a must!
Just my 2$
Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Normally I wouldn't comment on someone else's suggestions about which hop ups to get, because we all have our own opinions about what a car should have.

But the term "weak links" caught my attention.

I ran my TA05 with the kit dogbones for a full season with no problems. Then I only replaced the fronts after the wear cause play in the drivetrain. Then I replaced the rears quite a bit later after they began to wear. Thats at least a year of use without needing to replace. I would hardly call that being a weak link.

I'm still using the stock outdrives. They have spread very little and have not groove in any noticable manner in all this time. I haven't broken any outdrives. Thats over a year of 19t and brushless 4300 running with no need to replace. So again the term weak link seems out of place.

The 6mm hexes are definitely useful, because having the stock hexes come off with the wheel and losing the drive pins are a pain. But the stock hexes also never failed.

All those hop ups are nice things to have, but essentials? Any number of people here on this thread have run the TA05 competitively without replacing any of those.

And "weak links"? Doesn't something have to break to be a weak link?

Maybe this stuff fails if your running low wind mods, but for anything 19t or slower all the stock pieces these things replace, work perfectly.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Normally I wouldn't comment on someone else's suggestions about which hop ups to get, because we all have our own opinions about what a car should have.

But the term "weak links" caught my attention.

I ran my TA05 with the kit dogbones for a full season with no problems. Then I only replaced the fronts after the wear cause play in the drivetrain. Then I replaced the rears quite a bit later after then began to wear. I would hardly call that being a weak link

I'm still using the stock outdrives. They have spread very little and have not groove in any noticable manner in all this time. I haven't broken any outdrives. So again the term weak link seems out of place.

The 6mm hexes are definitely useful, because having the stock hexes come off with the wheel and losing the drive pins are a pain. But the stock hexes also never failed.

All those hop ups are nice things to have, but essentials? Any number of people here on this thread have run the TA05 competitively without replacing any of those.

And "weak links"? Doesn't something have to break to be a weak link?
I will comment on this Darkside. I first read your 1st reply, and thought this guy is drifting! not racing. So.

I would always recomend UNI's, from there, maybe the upgraded plastic diff. Maybe a spool for the back. But as a drifter, from there I think anything you want for bling and is his own desire. Blue shocks a great bling, CF towers are bling,
I guess I would ask if he want to have lots of blue visual? if he does adding blue screws and wheels nuts allow blue every where, a blue motor mount gives lots of blue, a CF center plate. so with that said,
Gerok, what are you wanting from spending the $250? duribility, visual bling, or touring car performance parts, or drifting performance?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for replies guys.

I am going for durability and performance. I noticed the outdrives do look weak and was planning to upgrade them (keep in mind I will be using a SS5800 or a Mamba Max) There is no one car that is perfectly built so this is the reason I am asking you folks what the "essentials" are. After getting input of everyones chassis at our weekly drift meets, front one-way, adjustable camber/toe, and smooth shocks is a must.

So right now its down to: front one way, trf shocks (I already have Tamiya spring sets), cf front and rear damper stay, aluminum out drives, universal shafts (46mm?), blue aramid belts, and if there's extra probably some blue bling.
I will be putting the order this Wednesday, so if you folks want to recommend a RELIABLE website to ship to US states (Hawaii) please do so. Ebay is my only option right now since tower doesn't have crap.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by gerok
Thanks for replies guys.

I am going for durability and performance. I noticed the outdrives do look weak and was planning to upgrade them (keep in mind I will be using a SS5800 or a Mamba Max) There is no one car that is perfectly built so this is the reason I am asking you folks what the "essentials" are. After getting input of everyones chassis at our weekly drift meets, front one-way, adjustable camber/toe, and smooth shocks is a must.

So right now its down to: front one way, trf shocks (I already have Tamiya spring sets), cf front and rear damper stay, aluminum out drives, universal shafts (46mm?), blue aramid belts, and if there's extra probably some blue bling.
I will be putting the order this Wednesday, so if you folks want to recommend a RELIABLE website to ship to US states (Hawaii) please do so. Ebay is my only option right now since tower doesn't have crap.
RC Champ is realiable! Go check their feedback. Core Racing and I ordered nearly every single hop up on our car from RC Champ and never had a single problem.

Not only are their prices half what you pay in the states, but they get them to you in about 3 days...from Japan. And if your not down for saving big bucks by getting from them, the next best option is definitely www.speedtechrc.com. Other than RC Champ, thats the best place to get TA05 stuff.

If your that worried about the outdrives, i would definitely say go ahead and get them, if only for piece of mind. But if you check through this entire thread, i doubt you'll find many stock outdrive failures. Or many parts breaking at all. For those of us who have stuck with the standard suspension, the car has been a tank.

Yes, 46mm on the universals. The longer ones are only for the LW suspension.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'd also suggest getting spare suspension mounts (or upgrade to aluminum/graphite)...I broke the standard suspension mounts while running stock. The part no. for the Tamiya graphite suspension mount is 49388.

Have fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.