Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MoonTrap
Hi guys

I am having a few problems with getting the ta05 setup.

I have been racing in Mexico predominantly on asphalt with foam tires, and am use to diving into a corner and turning and the car stays planted. If i try this with the ta05 on type-a rubbers the back end just always wants to come around. i have tried many different setups and just cant seem to get the back end planted. Its like it has too much front traction, how would i get rid of front traction?. Or do i need to adjust by driving style to be more smooth around corners, slowing down sooner and such ?

Thanks for any help guys
I`m assuming that it is hot where you race. I would switch to Type /B`s with the soft blue Tamiya insert.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think I might have to try a TA-05 again
Old 01-15-2007, 05:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

No kiddin, had I not have spent so much on X Ray stuff, trying Yokomo, Losi etc etc not to mention failed ventures into 1:18th racing, after market CF upgrades etc, I'd have the ultimate race package NOW!

*pffffft*
Old 01-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

i do get to notice that the TRF shocks are longer then the stock ones,so i am forced to use the drop screws to regulate the ride height because the shocks push the arms to much down.
but i been reading that is better to use the shocks to archive the ride height and no the droop srews,so what can i do to resolve the problem?
hope you undestand what i mean
thanx
Old 01-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Either get the 1mm down type spring retainers and/or use an internal limiter to shorten the shock. I have the TRF shocks with no limiters and can get down to about 3.5mm with rubbers...so you should be able to get it there. Your using the short shock ends right?

Don't use the dooop screws for the ride height!! If you want to stick with Tamiya springs get the short type...mucho better!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by guinnes.s
i do get to notice that the TRF shocks are longer then the stock ones,so i am forced to use the drop screws to regulate the ride height because the shocks push the arms to much down.
but i been reading that is better to use the shocks to archive the ride height and no the droop srews,so what can i do to resolve the problem?
hope you undestand what i mean
thanx
You're basically saying that even with the screw collar all the way to the top, your car can't get any lower? I'm guessing you have the Special Blue TRF dampers (the one with the grooved cap), I've had those problems too with my TA05. I couldn't get the car any lower than 6mm with the springs they supply (on-road yellows).

I bought a set of shorter TRF springs.. They're 2/3 the height of the regular ones that came with the set, and allow you to drop the car down as far as you need without droop screws, which shouldn't be used for ride height adjustment.

Red (Soft): 53630
Yellow (Medium): 53631
Blue (Hard): 53632
White (Extra Hard): 53633
Grey (Super Hard): 53635
Maroon (Ultra Hard): 53636

If you're using Foams and need to use the XRay springs, get the 1mm-down aluminum retainer (53876). This offsets the extra thickness of that collar, lets you drop it down a bit more.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:38 AM
RLS
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you're using Foams and need to use the XRay springs, get the 1mm-down aluminum retainer (53876). This offsets the extra thickness of that collar, lets you drop it down a bit more.
I'm new to the TA05, reading this excellent thread for ideas and a parts list to order before I build mine. Thanks to all for the input and part numbers. I have a couple of questions.....

Why would I need to use XRay springs with foams?, (I'm ordering the TRF shocks)

It seems the carbon fiber tub chassis upgrade is not a popular choice which is suprising to me. I'm considering running the 3Racing CF chassis, or should I just stay with the stock tub? The car will be raced on asphalt and carpet.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

i do have some touring Associated springs that are the same length of the yellow TRF,i could cut them my self to fit,without go and get more.
what u think?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running 3racing CF on asphalt. I've to say the CF quality of 3racing chassis is not as good as Tamiya CF. However, what you wanna get is very depend on what surface you run. If it's asphat, stay with stock tub, if it's carpet, go for Tamiya graphit tub. Than you wont say "damn I just upgrade my chassis" if we suddenly see TA05R or something from Tamiya.

As for spring, I mixed use AE, Tamiya, Xray spring. No need to cut. Just try to find a lowerdc retainer than you good to go.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I've run the Tamiya graphite chassis for a year now. I't s awesome on carpet! Save your money, don't buy a carbon fiber chassis kit!

You'll want to use Associated springs because you will need firmer springs than Tamiya offers. I would get 2 sets of copper-red-purple AE springs and your set for carpet foam.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best good you can get from CF chassis is light weight. If it's a yr ago I would say go for CF chassis fit your surface. But now is only 4mons away from next major JP hobby show (Shizuoka hobby show in May). I won't spend large$ on TA05 right now as I think we will have something very special soon. Maybe TA05R?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im having quite a few handling problems with my ta05 it seems to be oversteering off power and onpower. Ive trieed with and without the sway bars(yellow front, red rear) should i put them back on and use a harder rear sway bar?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I've run the Tamiya graphite chassis for a year now. I't s awesome on carpet! Save your money, don't buy a carbon fiber chassis kit!

You'll want to use Associated springs because you will need firmer springs than Tamiya offers. I would get 2 sets of copper-red-purple AE springs and your set for carpet foam.
Agreed, actually the graphite-filled chassis tub is pretty popular, & I'm quite happy with it myself. And I'm also using Associated springs on it(already had a large set from running a FT TC4 before it), & they work quite well, more than stiff enough or soft enough for our needs(asphalt or carpet). And with the blue TRF shocks, I've gotten my ride height to less than 5mm as is(which is more than low enough with rubber tires, most tracks require a 5mm minimum, actually had to raise mine a tick at the Novak race to be legal).....
Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savageguy
Im having quite a few handling problems with my ta05 it seems to be oversteering off power and onpower. Ive trieed with and without the sway bars(yellow front, red rear) should i put them back on and use a harder rear sway bar?
Before we offer some advice, could you tell us a bit about your situation, like the track surface(including temperatures), & how your car's set up right now(camber, toe, springs, shock oil, tires, etc.)? That'd help us to get you pointed in the right direction.....
Old 01-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Before we offer some advice, could you tell us a bit about your situation, like the track surface(including temperatures), & how your car's set up right now(camber, toe, springs, shock oil, tires, etc.)? That'd help us to get you pointed in the right direction.....
Ok....
The track surface is ashault. The Track Temperatue was around 50 celius.

My setup is -2 camber allround 0 toe front and 2 rear. 500# shock oil and Tamiya yellow springs. Tyres are GRP 35 allround.

And im Running 19 turn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.