Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Steve (speedtech), is it possible to get them guys to make a topdeck that goes from front to rear gearbox rather than the chassis brace?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks MobileIT. Its hard to gauge where the problem lies since i moved here. i used to be involved at a LHS in Perth Western Australia and got to know how things worked. We always had the most popular parts available for Tamiya kits, and we were able to get 'air bag' packages sent from the opposite side of the country on rush orders. Those orders usually took 2-3 days to arrive, so parts we very very easy to come by. The distributor in Aust was very good also.

Well ill try to see what the LHS around here think about me asking for some std parts (04/05 arms, hubs etc) I dont want to have to special order them everytime, So id like them to be in stock on the shelf. And this shouldnt be too much of a problem for them, considering one shop has a wall for xray parts... and we all know how much they cost!!! sheesh. I was very surprised when i found that no one in Alberta drives tamiya. I think they have the best setup between entry level and top end RC. Hell they have the world championship, the IIC championship and some of the cheapest entry level kits ever. Hopefully i can get some wins with my new 415 and 05, that might change opinions around here

oh and ghostfit, give me a break lol, the car had arrived that night, and that picture was taken the minute i had finished it! you know clean up comes after More pics to come... car now has a GTX and stock motor with dual cooling fans in it. I finished it so late last night that i couldnt be bothered taking pics, let alone cleaning up (ill do it on the weekend... promise! lol)
Old 10-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I ordered my TA05 and some hopups from Japan, and couldn't be happier with the price, service and speed of delivery. I don't think there are any shortages of supplies for the regular spares there, so I would consider shopping abroad a fine option if your LHS can't supply you.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah, Borgfeldt up here in Canada does a great job supplying us with Tamiya parts as much as they can. Tom Wright along with Corey Whiteman are very knowledgable with all things Tamiya, and I've never had problems with finding the usual parts here in the GTA, or being behind on the latest hop-ups at our hobby shops, barring their own supply problems which anyone can have.

Of course, with TA04 suspension parts being shared with numerous car platforms (TB-02, Evo III, TA04, TA05, 414, orig. 415) it's no surprise that any well-stocked shop could be caught short-handed with the increased popularity of the TA05.

Sure, you can buy the regular arms and replace them after a few bad crashes, but the hardened arms will at least keep you going and then some..

Broken things will always be easily replaced, but everyone would prefer a car that could still drive after a hit or two, especially if it's an important race or heat.

Myself, I haven't broken a single regular arm on my TB-02 or TA05 in a race, but if they do, I'll be looking for the hardened ones next.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lemme tell ya, the TA05 keeps on tickin'! I've had some pretty spectacular mishaps (user error, absolutely ), and everything is still as it should be...

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Broken things will always be easily replaced, but everyone would prefer a car that could still drive after a hit or two, especially if it's an important race or heat.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
So is it a lack of parts at Tamiya, or the fault of the hobby shops?
Don't really know...

I'm not really looking to assign blame in the parts finding thing, but as I stated, I do think Tamiya should reconsider if they plan on not bringing in 'kit' replacements for some parts and instead only stocking hop up versions.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

So is it a lack of parts at Tamiya, or the fault of the hobby shops? IM going to enquire about this at our LHS. Seems they have a heap of tamiya low end kits, yet absolutely no stock of spares. Even one of the guys who i race with who works there, when seeing my TA05, asked "where you gonna get parts for that?"
If I'm not mistaken, Tamiya Canada reps have already visited the LHS in your area. It's now up to the stores to order spares/stocks. Unfortunately if what you said is true, that racers there rarely use Tamiya, then that will be a reason for them not to stock. It goes with the rule of "Supply and Demand".

How was your maiden voyage with the car?
Old 10-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Your right, but from what ive heard, there were a few who ran Tamiya cars and got fed up with waiting for spares, and are now running AE....

Fair enough not having spares for a 415 for example, but if they are selling a TA04, or a TT01, wouldnt you expect them to stock spares for it?? Anyways, maybe with a few questions, i may find out why they dont have any spares. Im amazed that they have such a selection of xray parts for example... its sooo much more expensive than tamiya.

The 05 is going to be pretty good i think. My biggest hurdle is i havent got sway bars yet. Needs them deperately. The 415 arrives on monday so hopefully the sway bars off the 415 will fit and i can trial them. I was asking a bit much of it, running it with the GTB brushless setup without setting it up lol. But amazingly, after a few small alterations (like give the left front neg camber instead of positive 2! lol) it was fairly neutral. I also found the belts skipping. I was hitting the throttle hard on the brushless, I also tightened them about 4 clicks on each diff to stop the belts skipping. Overall very impressed. Im re learning concepts like roll centers etc, ive been too lazy lately. I figured out my 04 and ive now forgotten how to work out the setups lol. Racing tonight, and ill post up how it runs very soon
Old 10-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default quick noob question

Sorry to dwell from the topic guys, jus got a quick newbie question to ask: When shimming the TA05, are you using metal or plactic spacers? surely metal would grind against bearings etc!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Your right, but from what ive heard, there were a few who ran Tamiya cars and got fed up with waiting for spares, and are now running AE....

Fair enough not having spares for a 415 for example, but if they are selling a TA04, or a TT01, wouldnt you expect them to stock spares for it?? Anyways, maybe with a few questions, i may find out why they dont have any spares. Im amazed that they have such a selection of xray parts for example... its sooo much more expensive than tamiya.

The 05 is going to be pretty good i think. My biggest hurdle is i havent got sway bars yet. Needs them deperately. The 415 arrives on monday so hopefully the sway bars off the 415 will fit and i can trial them. I was asking a bit much of it, running it with the GTB brushless setup without setting it up lol. But amazingly, after a few small alterations (like give the left front neg camber instead of positive 2! lol) it was fairly neutral. I also found the belts skipping. I was hitting the throttle hard on the brushless, I also tightened them about 4 clicks on each diff to stop the belts skipping. Overall very impressed. Im re learning concepts like roll centers etc, ive been too lazy lately. I figured out my 04 and ive now forgotten how to work out the setups lol. Racing tonight, and ill post up how it runs very soon

One of the biggest challenge we had before in Vancouver is for parts support, but we were able to resolve that issue and now 2 stores support Tamiya parts. I know it's not much but it's a start. I suggest asking your LHS and see if you can rally a few more people into running Tamiya.

Swaybars should be at the top of your list for hop ups. If you have a 415 swaybar set this will also work, regardless of wether you are running the LWS set or the original set. I used my 415 set on my 05 and it fits. For carpet, try using the original set or the set that came with your 415 or 04.

Four clicks might be too much, you might have loosened your belts so much, that's why you have to put that much on your belt tension. I had mine in 1 click for stock racing and it was not skipping. I'll see how it goes with 19t rubber.

Good luck tonight and have fun!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NickRosie
Sorry to dwell from the topic guys, jus got a quick newbie question to ask: When shimming the TA05, are you using metal or plactic spacers? surely metal would grind against bearings etc!
We are using metal ones, but very thin. Tamiya carries these and are of different sizes.
When shimming, try not to put too much, otherwise you will feel binding and thats when the bearing grinds with the shim. It should be just enough that no binding occurs.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

. . .

I also found the belts skipping. I was hitting the throttle hard on the brushless, I also tightened them about 4 clicks on each diff to stop the belts skipping. Overall very impressed. Im re learning concepts like roll centers etc, ive been too lazy lately. I figured out my 04 and ive now forgotten how to work out the setups lol. Racing tonight, and ill post up how it runs very soon
I think you will find that the belt skipping is more of a problem on the back than on the front. When you accelerate, the belts pull the diffs towards the center. On the front, the pull is on the lower side of the belt which is countered by the chassis. But the rear diff is pulled by the upper half of the rear belt, which is not braced by anything, so it is probably causing the chassis to flex. This is one of the reason that some of us have been asking for a top brace that runs the full length between the two diff cases. It was something that we expected. You can reduce the chassis flex by adding a turnbuckle or other long rod from the top of the rear diff case to the motor mount. There have been pictures of a car prep'd by one of the Pros (I think it was MS's car), and that is what he had done. With a full Mod class motor, you will have to run tighter belts than stock, no doubt about that, but an extra brace across the top will minimize this.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Great, Thanks a lot for the prompt reply rcspeedo.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My biggest hurdle is i havent got sway bars yet. Needs them deperately.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-53842-TA0...QQcmdZViewItem

The price is right and the shipping appears from the listing to be quick as well, even from Hong Kong. If you really need them, this seems like as good a place as any to find them.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Thumbs up tamiya parts

Try going to Theworldofhobbies.com the ;ast time i was there they have alot of stock for the TA04 and 414 and even 415 just don't know if they will ship, but their online site does not have an online shopping ( none that i know of) anyways just get their number from the web and give them a call, and one more thing they are open on Sundays from 12-6. goodluck guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.