Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Sounds like Xray...lol
Old 10-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Any body have a TA05 w/hop-ups they would like to trade for a Evo IVms? I sold my 05 with out even running it and would still like to try one. Hey - nice car axle182
Old 10-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by axle182
Hmm should have seen the problem with the anti-sway bars... its the only thing i havent got which i need for tuning. The car handled surprisingly well, it was fairly neutral, altho sometimes a bit of over steer. But seriously needed sway bars. on the tight and twisty bits, the body roll was so bad it was dragging near the underside of the motor. You could tell too, was in a nice run through a corner then would either four wheel drift to the outside, or understeer like crazy. sway bars would have solved that. Problem is id like to try softer springs. Without sway bars, softer springs would have made it worse.

Ive also got a centre one way, so may try that, although id expect it to not help on carpet and foams. Theres a million things ill be changing on it, and when im happy with it, ill post up my setup for carpet foam. As i didnt build the chassis (bought it built but not ran) ill go over all the hinge points and see if i can make this car really fly. I think in stock form, it should be darn good, so in with the GTX and Epic tonight

Oh and has other people with mod setups found the belts skip? I tightened mine quite significantly, seemed to stop the problem, but id say you would need a spare set of belts on call. Aramids here i come.
Sounds like you had fun and lots of expectations for the car which is great!

Now the sway bars will definitely keep the body roll down which will let you run a softer setup. I use the yellow-front, red-rear with yellow springs all the way around. With this I could lower the roll center some and get the nice rotation.
You could keep roll down by reducing droop to .5mm-front, 1-1.5mm-rear since your running foams. You could also lower roll center in the rear to get the rotation.
You can also use shock limiters then you can run a lower ride height.
Lots to deal with so some info on your setup will help.
Are you running a 1 way?
My belts are pretty loose but with no slipping. 1 click for stock. For 19T or mod, I will tighten only to the point of no slipping. Keep it as free as possible with no slipping and your belt will last.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Aparatchik
ok, let's talk shimming... I rebuilt my diffs last night after the first few runs, and there is definite play in there. The suspension arms are also pretty floppy. So, I did some searching through this thread and found the following:

Two 0.3 x 10mm for each diff, one on each side between the bearing and the diff, or maybe one 0.3 x 10mm and one 0.4 x 1.0mm on each diff

two 0.3 x 10mm on either side of the center pulley

one 2mm in front of the bulkhead, two 3mm and one 1mm behind the bulkhead on front suspension pivot axles

three 3mm in front of the bulkhead on rear suspension pivot axles

Sound about right? Anything else that could/should be shimmed?
Shimming the diffs are a good idea. Just watch the diff gear clearance with the bulkheads.
I would not worry too much with the center pully. Maybe a little shimming without binding the bearings at all.

Steering and other parts with ball cups can use some help with o-rings or some cut fuel tubbing. You'll be surprised on how tight(without binding) things can get.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MobileIT
It has not really been out for long in North America (or Europe). As of October, it has only been out for about 3 months. Depending on your local hobby shop, some stores that I have bought from would open up a box and estimate a price for a tree and sell you the parts on a tree basis if you really wanted the part. But really, I have to ask, why do you need that particular part? I do not see how you could have damaged it. What happened?

I lost it!

It would have been nice if it was all molded in one piece. Oh well. I'll have to wait until the end of the year for th part or buy anothere TA05 kit.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Well im happier than a pig in sh^t lol. 05 arrived last night, and finished installing everything ready for practice tonight. Will keep u posted on how it handles. Ive seen a few setups on here, but figured id try it with an 04 setup i liked and work from there. Ill be swapping out the upper screws with either titanium or aluminium blue Love the car so far, and yes its quiet!
Beautiful setup TA05 you got there, but I'm wondering how you can actually work on anything with a pit table like that ?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
Maybe it's because in the last month or so that this kits popularity has risen?
That may just be it right there. I mean if the car is out of stock just about everywhere, then the parts are probably going to be even more hard to come by.

Only thing that worries me is that Tamiya seems to be deciding against importing some of the basic parts, and instead going with the hop up version only.

To me, if your selling a $150 car, however race worthy it may be, you can't then turn around and start selling only hop up parts like the hardened arms and special out drives. Its nice to have the option of going all out with hop ups, but people should still have the option of sticking with the low cost 'kit' replacement parts.

I left owning a $360 car and bought this, so that I could get back to racing and competing with a low cost car. Kinda hard to stay low cost with $16 hardened arm sets!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Darkseid
I left owning a $360 car and bought this, so that I could get back to racing and competing with a low cost car. Kinda hard to stay low cost with $16 hardened arm sets!
No offence meant, but ....

I'm kinda wondering ...the TA05 uses the same arms as the TA04 (Common with lots of other Tamiya cars).

Why do you have to buy the $16 harden arm set (or LW Reversible arms set) if you can just get the normal TA04 ones ?

I guess maybe Tamiya have to label some of them with "TA05 spare arms set" before pple will accept them for the TA05

Last edited by Ghostfit; 10-28-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ghostfit
On offence meant, but ....

I'm kinda wondering ...the TA05 uses the same arms as the TA04 (Common with lots of other Tamiya cars).

Why do you have to buy the $16 harden arm set (or LW Reversible arms set) if you can just get the normal TA04 ones ?

I guess maybe Tamiya have to label some of them with "TA05 spare arms set" before pple will accept them for the TA05
Yes, your right. The TA05 uses the same arms, knuckles, C-hubs, rear hubs, as the TA04.

Problem is....no matter what they're labeled "TA04" or "TA05", they're hard to come by these days. Just take a look around and try to find one place that has everything. Towerhobbies has a little of this...Horizon has a little of that...Speedtech is out of stock...LHS has a little of none of it ....

...so to get all the spares you would need, you'd get killed on shipping cost from buying from several different places.

So the labeling isn't the issue, finding a good amount of stuff at the same spot is the tricky thing.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JoeyE
I lost it!

It would have been nice if it was all molded in one piece. Oh well. I'll have to wait until the end of the year for th part or buy anothere TA05 kit.
Joey, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought you get two of the busbhings, and only use one. Maybe a friend has one you can get from him? I'd send you one, but I used my othe on a shaft for the one-way center shaft, so it is a drop and play option.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Finally got some pictures of the XR05 chassis kit for the TA05. We should have a pre-order setup tomorrow enjoy!

Steve Wang
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-main.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-upper.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-post_for_chassis.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-spacer_for_upper.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-motor_guard.jpg  

Old 10-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Yes, your right. The TA05 uses the same arms, knuckles, C-hubs, rear hubs, as the TA04.

Problem is....no matter what they're labeled "TA04" or "TA05", they're hard to come by these days. Just take a look around and try to find one place that has everything. Towerhobbies has a little of this...Horizon has a little of that...Speedtech is out of stock...LHS has a little of none of it ....

...so to get all the spares you would need, you'd get killed on shipping cost from buying from several different places.

So the labeling isn't the issue, finding a good amount of stuff at the same spot is the tricky thing.
So is it a lack of parts at Tamiya, or the fault of the hobby shops? IM going to enquire about this at our LHS. Seems they have a heap of tamiya low end kits, yet absolutely no stock of spares. Even one of the guys who i race with who works there, when seeing my TA05, asked "where you gonna get parts for that?"
Old 10-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WOW!...i want that cf chassis, i want that chassis ..............hahaha.........thank goodness the part support in singapore is comprehensive.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So is it a lack of parts at Tamiya, or the fault of the hobby shops? IM going to enquire about this at our LHS. Seems they have a heap of tamiya low end kits, yet absolutely no stock of spares. Even one of the guys who i race with who works there, when seeing my TA05, asked "where you gonna get parts for that?"
I can't speak for your local hobby shop, but if they are trying to get parts through Horizon or Great planes, the big distributors, they are going to have a hard time getting Tamiya race products because:

1. the big distributors don't care about tamiya race products, because they sell much more RTR, low end kits, and Tamiya trucks. They rather stock what moves easily for them

2. most purchasing agents at these distributors do no keep up with what is the latest option parts or kit release are from Tamiya, and they are usually a good weeks (or even months) behind on ordering new stuff, so by the time local shops gets it, it's "old news" already. And I don't think they hava good idea on what are cross over parts among all the Tamiya chassis

On our end, to be honest we sometimes have an extremely difficult time ordering parts with Tamiya. Often time, quite a bit of our order goes on back order and we've sometimes waited 5-6 weeks without parts delivery from them. The biggest problem is Tamiya sea ship their products (they rarely air ship stuff) so it takes about 3 weeks to get from Japan to here, and then about another week to check through that container, and then finally about 2-3 days for them to process that order and send it to us, so about a 1 month long process

Good news is, we are working on faster supplier that will enable us to bring in parts (especially newer releases) quicker than before, so we'll improve this situation by the end of the year

Steve Wang
Old 10-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Since you are in Canada I can tell you that it is mainly the choice of your local hobby shop. The stores in Toronto have mainly the same distribution system as all the rest of Canada and I have very little problem getting Tamiya stuff. The biggest problem is that Tamiya is currently the big rage and so everything sells out fairly quickly. I have seen this first hand. I have seen a stack of parts in Advance early in the week and returned to the store later in the week and they were sold out. I generally place special order parts at another store. They are having problems getting some of the old Titanium screw packages because the Canuck distributor has chosen not to carry them, but in those cases, they will try to get them through the Tamiya US. And again, lately there *is* a problem because Tamiya US seems to be selling out. But again, I attribute that to popularity. The 2 World Championship wins has resulted in a lot of 415 sales, and any hop-up part that will fit on a 415 (including Titanium screws) is going to be very popular at least for the next six months. Then again, there are other sources for Titanium screws, and other non-Tamiya parts.

That "Speed Tech" company seems to be able to get stuff in. . . .
:-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.