Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Anyone know if the Pit Shimizu F201 tires are the same compounds as the new ones for the FGX even though the part numbers are different? I have a few old sets left in stock that might come in handy.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Talking

F104 king pins rule! I took a couple shots today that normally would break a kingpin or front arm and was able to continue. I was also able to finally get the front end down on the sweeper running the Olive F201 springs which also allowed me to run the black front springs. Overall the car was more stable and flatter around corners. The changes didn't impact the low speed rotation on or off power at all. The lap to lap consistency is there too, first lap to last lap as long as I stick to my tire prep routine.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Finally got stickers on the body...thanks BP that vinyl you use is very easy to work with! Unfortunately the 3Racing stickers I used for a generic helmet suck...I still need to swing by the LHS and pick up some red monocote to do the wings. I'm really pleased with how this one came out

Old 05-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Finally got stickers on the body...thanks BP that vinyl you use is very easy to work with! Unfortunately the 3Racing stickers I used for a generic helmet suck...I still need to swing by the LHS and pick up some red monocote to do the wings. I'm really pleased with how this one came out

Very nice job! What do you think of the quality and detail of the 3 Racing body as compared to the Tamiya body?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Both have their strong points and weak points. I like the area between the front suspension best on the 3Racing and the fit and ease of assembly on the side pods is much better on the 3Racing body...Tamiya could really learn a lot there surprisingly. But the tip of the nose, the upper airbox intake, and driver figure are better on the Tamiya. Also I think the overall scale appearance is a little better on the Tamiya body.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Both have their strong points and weak points. I like the area between the front suspension best on the 3Racing and the fit and ease of assembly on the side pods is much better on the 3Racing body...Tamiya could really learn a lot there surprisingly. But the tip of the nose, the upper airbox intake, and driver figure are better on the Tamiya. Also I think the overall scale appearance is a little better on the Tamiya body.
That's exactly what I thought!

I think I read somewhere on this thread that the Tamiya F60 body will fit the FGX. I think it would be my choice to use as the Lotus. I like the overall look and scale appearance of the Tamiya body; it just plain looks better than the 3 Racing body! In my opinion.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus

I think I read somewhere on this thread that the Tamiya F60 body will fit the FGX. I think it would be my choice to use as the Lotus. I like the overall look and scale appearance of the Tamiya body; it just plain looks better than the 3 Racing body! In my opinion.
I'm running an FGX body on my F104 (and FGX when necessary) due to the fact that my UF1 team mate and good friend Mark G. (the guy with the bomb tire stickers ) painted up a bitchin Caterham livery body for me.
The FGX body fits nicely on the F104, front body post is a perfect fit, punched 2 new rear post holes and trimmed the rear to clear the side damper etc.
Not too sure how well the F104 bodies will fit the FGX tho.
I'd post a pic but the car is in Tamiya trim right now for their regionals on the carpet here at TQ and it's got the wide setup on it with the fatty foams etc. and a vintage body.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

I don't know how well the F60 would fit over the rear shocks and bellcranks...I have the F60 on my F104 that I started to do as the Lotus. I think both do well as the Lotus...the Tamiya body is way to high over the front suspension sticking up well above the tires where the real cars the nose over the suspension is slightly lower than the top of the front tires...the FGX body is much nicer in that respect.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Lighting was really bad at home so snapped a better pic at the office

Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Nice job Burt
Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Lotus

The f 60 fits fine on the fgx but you do need to trim for the rear suspension. I'm running the rabbit chassis with the f104 front end but the rear suspension is all fgx and the body looks good.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

can you post a pic ? was wondering how much open area is over the motor / shock assy ..
Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Nice job Burt
Thanks Dave!

I still want to re-do it with thinner stripes but this came out well enough that I'm in no hurry

I think the brake disks are going to have to go though...they sure look cool but are a real pain to work with.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Dave!

I still want to re-do it with thinner stripes but this came out well enough that I'm in no hurry

I think the brake disks are going to have to go though...they sure look cool but are a real pain to work with.
Have you done a back to back run, to see how the FGX compares to your 104 yet ?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Not yet...hopefully I will run the FGX this weekend. I still have to install the reciever, motor, and other little odds and ends. I'll need to pick up another motor and want to try the Ride medium tires on the F1R to do some actual back to back testing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.