Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Keep in mind that my pistons have a little bit more piston to wall clearance are thicker and are large single hole. Remember we are tuning for handling more so than bumps ( as an off roader i have to remind myself of that!!) In general i dont care for a rear sway bar and no front because it makes the steering wierd and pitches the back around which can be fast but hard to stay consistent . With the thicker oils it slows down the movement of the rear closer to the movement of the front so both ends react close to the same. On the track the car is just more balanced and predictable. One thing i did notice is that the car is much more stable under braking with the sway bar so i have the lightest sway bar on just for that reason. Keep in mind that i am also on low/med grip asphalt.

This is one of the reasons i am anxious to get a dual arm front working so i can match roll centers and use sway bars like they are supposed to be used!

After watching your posted video, you definitely are a tick loose in the main, but oh so fast. Even with a broken front wing. Your car would break loose, rotate around the corner and you'd catch it and rocket away lap after lap. I can see how much you all rely on mechanical grip on that surface and for the most part all of the racers in your main did an excellent job. Great racing!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

RC18 shocks are the same size as what we have now.

you got a picture for those INSP? I am thinking of maybe 12th scale shock tubes with internal springs and then just making some form of droop adjustment plate. The cantilever part is simple and i already have arms that i made for the upper.

Vette, i am up to 4000wt oil with RCShox single stage pistons (single 1.5mm hole) and to be honest i think i can go up more from there, its starting to feel really good, I am running the soft spring from the 3r kit which is stiffer than the original.
Looks like they might be discontinued Their new website doesn't come up with anything rug rat related in the search.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
After watching your posted video, you definitely are a tick loose in the main, but oh so fast. Even with a broken front wing. Your car would break loose, rotate around the corner and you'd catch it and rocket away lap after lap. I can see how much you all rely on mechanical grip on that surface and for the most part all of the racers in your main did an excellent job. Great racing!
My car was crap all day and I broke one of my cardinal rules of racing in that i never mess with the fancy ESC settings. The last race i was at was the night race and I was messing with push control that night, since there was more grip it worked great but on the parking lot it kept doing that funky "turn, grab and rotate" it was hard to drive. And to add to that the front of my car got demolished earlier that day and I was using stock upper arms with jacked up camber and the droop was wrong. I was able to drive through it but it could have been better for sure! Thanx for the comp's though, I love this car and will have it really on rails soon!

Vette remember that vid someone post with the camera showing how much the rear suspension moved around on carpet? thats ALOT of roll considering there is no way the front can roll that much, thats where the flex was coming in. With the thicker fluid it slows that down.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My car was crap all day and I broke one of my cardinal rules of racing in that i never mess with the fancy ESC settings. The last race i was at was the night race and I was messing with push control that night, since there was more grip it worked great but on the parking lot it kept doing that funky "turn, grab and rotate" it was hard to drive. And to add to that the front of my car got demolished earlier that day and I was using stock upper arms with jacked up camber and the droop was wrong. I was able to drive through it but it could have been better for sure! Thanx for the comp's though, I love this car and will have it really on rails soon!

Vette remember that vid someone post with the camera showing how much the rear suspension moved around on carpet? thats ALOT of roll considering there is no way the front can roll that much, thats where the flex was coming in. With the thicker fluid it slows that down.

Are you going to Nats? You still have time to get an EFX
Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeR
Are you going to Nats? You still have time to get an EFX

here is the problem, My wife is an RN and works weekend nights so i have to be home by 6 on sunday night so i can take care of my kids and have them ready for school on monday. In order for me to make a race like that it takes LOTS of juggling around to get my kids to school on monday. I am working on it, it just involves a lot of relatives!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

here is the problem, My wife is an RN and works weekend nights so i have to be home by 6 on sunday night so i can take care of my kids and have them ready for school on monday. In order for me to make a race like that it takes LOTS of juggling around to get my kids to school on monday. I am working on it, it just involves a lot of relatives!
I know the feeling! It would be a shame if you couldnt make the race since it's your area.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeR
I know the feeling! It would be a shame if you couldnt make the race since it's your area.

Its all good, im coming to Cali this summer to run one of the outdoor UF1 events!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

I finally got the front tire under control an it stays pretty planted but the rear end could definitely use more consistency. I seem to be bleeding speed in the corners because the car doesn't want to rotate. Especially when traction comes up at the end of the night. My mains are usually slower than the qualifiers. At first I thought I was too stiff. Softening it did help but I may have made the wrong call and just stuck a band aid on the real problem. I want to try out the thicker fluid. You may have just given me as much as 0.5 a lap.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I finally got the front tire under control an it stays pretty planted but the rear end could definitely use more consistency. I seem to be bleeding speed in the corners because the car doesn't want to rotate. Especially when traction comes up at the end of the night. My mains are usually slower than the qualifiers. At first I thought I was too stiff. Softening it did help but I may have made the wrong call and just stuck a band aid on the real problem. I want to try out the thicker fluid. You may have just given me as much as 0.5 a lap.

The pistons I make are three times thicker than the stock ones, this also makes for better consistency.

I have some cool pieces in the works for the FGX and they will be on the site soon as well as ceramic bearing sets that will be around 60.00 for the set!!

Front "slop" bushings
6mm hex
Ackerman spacers
Pistons

This "tuner kit will be available in about a week!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have them at the Nats and I bet you sell atleast 5 sets. I know I will be one.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by texastc
Have them at the Nats and I bet you sell atleast 5 sets. I know I will be one.

I will try and send some down there with somebody!

And BTW I took a set of 12th scale side dampers out of my storage box and guess what? the FGX front springs fit inside!! One step closer to full suspension, all i have to do now is get it all on the car!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

has anyone found a longer kingpin to use two dubro links/ends (like a speed merchant formula front end)? i know i could probably drill out the lower arm to support a 3.2mm or oval pan car king pin.

i've seen the options that TQ has posted - http://www.rctech.net/forum/10009946-post1000.html - and maybe that is the best option then.

maybe these Traxxas Chrome Suspension Pin w/Clip 44mm (2) could work...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJG86&P=ML
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tried something similar to the speedmerchant front end when I first got the fgx. I used smaller dubro ball ends and drilled the balls out to fit the king pin. It worked but I still had problems fitting everything in the id of the front wheels. So keep that in mind while shopping for longer king pins.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer robert
I tried something similar to the speedmerchant front end when I first got the fgx. I used smaller dubro ball ends and drilled the balls out to fit the king pin. It worked but I still had problems fitting everything in the id of the front wheels. So keep that in mind while shopping for longer king pins.
i was thinking that could be an issue. it looked really close. i'm building my FGX right now - so i'm going to run it stock this weekend. i have a spare set of arms -- hopefully that is enough
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
i was thinking that could be an issue. it looked really close. i'm building my FGX right now - so i'm going to run it stock this weekend. i have a spare set of arms -- hopefully that is enough
My beefed up FGX V2 arms are holding up great, yeh, I've smacked plenty of stuff over several runs. I'm happy with them and if I do break em, I'll do another set.
Shoo gooed extra support like in earlier posts but also like earlier posts I used the left over twigs from the front end parts tree while others are successful with the piano wire gooed in place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.