Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Stop hitting things haha

But in all seriousness try finding a dense foam then cutting it to the shape of the NTC3 foam bumper. I haven’t had that issue with the grommet popping out but I also thought about finding/making a washer that’ll go between the grommet and upper bumper support to hold it down.

It’s a rainy day off so I thought I’d spend some TLC on the tub cars. More 64 pitch gearing (75/53), sway bar adjustment on the tc4, and installed an aluminum shaft on the TC3 (stock one warped). Also checked the diffs on both cars and installed a new servo horn on the TC3.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:40 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fircrest
Stop hitting things haha

But in all seriousness try finding a dense foam then cutting it to the shape of the NTC3 foam bumper. I haven’t had that issue with the grommet popping out but I also thought about finding/making a washer that’ll go between the grommet and upper bumper support to hold it down.

It’s a rainy day off so I thought I’d spend some TLC on the tub cars. More 64 pitch gearing (75/53), sway bar adjustment on the tc4, and installed an aluminum shaft on the TC3 (stock one warped). Also checked the diffs on both cars and installed a new servo horn on the TC3.
I know, I know, I'm trying! lol

I've got a block of the Parma Universal Bumper #8052. The stuff is actually hard. I'm guessing it will crack/break like the other hard bumper I tried, although this one's about twice as thick at 25mm. Might band saw it into TC3 bumper shape tomorrow for a try at Sundays race.

Your fleet is lookin' good!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks dude. I've gotten to a pretty good spot with my tub cars. Now it's just about dialing them in and having fun.
JC3 likes this.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:45 PM
JC3
Tech Master

What a day! The TC4 did me right in my first ever race. I honestly don't think I could have dialed it in any better with my level of experience. It did exactly what I wanted it to do. One of the track regulars helped me dial in the steering which, after another guy had helped me several weeks ago, I found out was way off and my suspicions that it turned better one way than the other were confirmed. So, much better now.

In terms of lap times I was 1.7 seconds off the leader. My average time was much worse at 4 seconds off. Consistency is an issue and I was 11 laps down at the end of the main. I came in 5th out of 6 in a field of 5 regulars and another racer who has experience. I had a blast.

The TC4 ran really well today. Not one problem and no broken steering racks! The new Parma hard bumper is a total success. Although, today I didn't really have any collisions. It didn't split, bend, buckle, or loose pieces. The fit, at 25mm thick, is perfect for the stock bumper brackets. I'll post pics of how I cut and made it fit soon. For newbs going racing I think this bumper material is worth a try. Sorry to ramble, I'm just kinda pumped. lol
THEBIGBULL and gigaplex like this.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Awesome!!! What was up with the steering?
Old 03-25-2018, 07:29 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Awesome!!! What was up with the steering?
The turning radius left to right was way off. During all three of my previous practice sessions, I had the feeling that it turned one way better than the other. Left turns were fine but right turns were a struggle and the car just wouldn't turn in. There weren't any obvious signs that there was a problem so I was struggling to figure out what was going on.

I gave up looking for a suspension or setup problem and started looking at the transmitter. Today, before the race I was trying to figure out what was going on. As I was getting to the bottom of it with EPA settings an older regular saw me struggling and helped me dial in the EPA's. I never knew just how far you could comfortably take them. Now it turns just as good left as it does right and it's an amazing difference.
THEBIGBULL and fircrest like this.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Stop hitting things haha

How long and at what temp do you cook them before they are ready to hit the track... I assume it’s different for carpet vs asphalt. L. Lol
THEBIGBULL and JC3 like this.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:40 AM
JC3
Tech Master

After reflecting on the TC4’s performance yesterday, I have to say how impressive it is that the old tub chassis can hang with the modern 4wd chassis’. In my VTA group last night were a Serpent taking 1st, a TC6 (probably an illegal motor) taking 2nd, a TC7 taking 4th, and 3 TC4’s finishing 3rd, 5th, and 6th.

One TC4 was driven by a very skilled racer - he didn’t have time to set it up properly, he finished third. I came in fifth - this was my first ever race, my motor has no timing adjustment, and I’m running with 3 degree rear toe in. The final TC4 came in last - the guy hadn’t done any tire prep, his setup was way off, but he was an experienced racer.

Given how close the lap times were overall and how well the guy in third place hung with the leaders, it was a impressive showing by the TC4’s!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

For those of you using the Club Racer, what kind of lap times are you getting on carpet? I was running a 64 spur and 38 pinion and my fastest time was 11.865, but averaging about 12.155 per lap, during practice yesterday.

At our last race, the leaders were all running 10 second laps. I don't remember what chassis they were all running, so I'm sure that was a factor, but I'm just curious if anyone else has been able to get this chassis to run 10 second laps on carpet.

If so, what are some settings that you are using? Over the past week, I completely rebuilt everything and put it through all the adjustments and tweaks I could find. I don't have it with me, but I'll try and attach my setup sheet later.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DoubleRR24
For those of you using the Club Racer, what kind of lap times are you getting on carpet? I was running a 64 spur and 38 pinion and my fastest time was 11.865, but averaging about 12.155 per lap, during practice yesterday.

At our last race, the leaders were all running 10 second laps. I don't remember what chassis they were all running, so I'm sure that was a factor, but I'm just curious if anyone else has been able to get this chassis to run 10 second laps on carpet.

If so, what are some settings that you are using? Over the past week, I completely rebuilt everything and put it through all the adjustments and tweaks I could find. I don't have it with me, but I'll try and attach my setup sheet later.
I see your in NC, where are you racing? Track size and layout determine lap times. That being said, I'm running with the leaders in my local VTA class on black carpet. I can share my setup if you want. Its not perfect, but I do ok.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:09 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DoubleRR24

Fastest TC4 at my VTA race yesterday was running 11.9 with an average of 13.0. He's an excellent young driver and the car was poorly set up since he had just bought it and didn't have time or parts to change his setup. It was stiff with blues all around. Which motor he was running I don't know. Our track is a good sized track (88x44ish) with new black carpet.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:38 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Parma bumper install was pretty straightforward as you might imagine. Cut to shape, poke three holes, install! I was slightly wrong about how it held up. I did notice a small cut on one side (see last pic of bumper after the race) but other than that barely a mark on it, it held up extremely well after a day of racing. In the shot of the car you can see how well it covers the front wheels. I'll definitely be using this material again and at some point will probably cut one for the 7.1 as well. Newb recommended.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool TC4 Gear diff conversion

Hey guys, Just wanted to let you know I now have a shaft for the gear diff conversion. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-img-4049.jpg   Team Associated TC4-img-4057.jpg  
Old 03-26-2018, 06:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Falconz
I see your in NC, where are you racing? Track size and layout determine lap times. That being said, I'm running with the leaders in my local VTA class on black carpet. I can share my setup if you want. Its not perfect, but I do ok.
I run at Ho-b RC Park at Northgate Mall.

This is the setup I was running for practice on Sunday.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TC4 March_25_2018 Practice.pdf (577.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JC3
Fastest TC4 at my VTA race yesterday was running 11.9 with an average of 13.0. He's an excellent young driver and the car was poorly set up since he had just bought it and didn't have time or parts to change his setup. It was stiff with blues all around. Which motor he was running I don't know. Our track is a good sized track (88x44ish) with new black carpet.
That's good to hear. I feel like I'm on the right track. I'm going to try and see what other chassis are being run at the next race. I know my lines could be better, as well as not tagging to wall so much. I just feel like when I do complete a clean lap, it's still not as quick as some of the other cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.