Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Originally Posted by blade072
i could of given you orange....its not a top or a kyosho mate....
and your ball end on the servo looks a little long....
oops lol just realised that i used the long one to work out how many shims to put between servo and servo posts,just gotta put the shorter one back on.
got orange but i wanted red!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Well I have to say production gear diff is sweet and they put a lot of work into making not only the gears light, but the diff case also. I can say that with minimal prep it's a nicer piece than the tamiya gen 2 diff(tamiya diff needs break in to be butter smooth). The Oring / gasket combination is nice. The outdrive oring material is the same as the NT1 so it shouldn't leak and should be good for many runs before there is a need to change the oil. Be careful when using putty in the front position, if you do it might be a good idea to have spare gear sets.

Since I don't know of any mfg's that make anything higher than 1300cst in increments of 100cst here is some math help for mixing your own solutions out of say 1000 and 2000cst.

Calculating the viscosity of a blended liquid consisting of two or more liquids having different viscosities is a three step procedure. The first step involves calculation of the Viscosity Blending Index (VBI) of each component of the blend using the following equation (known as a Refutas equation):

(1) VBI = 14.534 × ln[ln(v + 0.8)] + 10.975

where v is the viscosity in centistokes and ln is the natural logarithm (Loge).

The second step involves using this blending equation:

(2) VBI-blend = [wA × VBIA] + [wB × VBIB] + ... + [wX × VBIX]

where w is the weight fraction (i.e., % ÷ 100) of each component of the blend. In using the above blending equation, it is necessary that all viscosities are determined at the same temperature, for example, 22 °C.

The third and final step is to determine the viscosity of the blend by using the invert of equation (1):

(3) v = (ee(VBI - 10.975) ÷ 14.534) − 0.8

where VBI is the Viscosity Blending Index of the blend and e is the transcendental number 2.71828, also known as Euler's number.

Note the weight fraction can be found by weighing the empty diff case and filling appropriately (tare the diff case while loaded with the planetary gears ~7.9grams) keep in mind that 100% solution would weigh approximately 1.3 grams. If you don't feel like doing algebra you can use the scale method for mixing a consistent solution from build to build. (Ex: Adding .65 grams of 1000cst and .65 gr of 2000cst to make your builds consistent while mixing with non algebraic methods)

Can't wait for the North West Indoor Championships to start

Last edited by rx7ttlm; 08-08-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shano83
Even made up a pair of tamiya shocks to use and a thanks to craig and kinga for the advice and the know how to do it!!!!
Any chance to share that info?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Just got my exotek t311 chassis.Looks sweet and very nicely manufactored.
Even running the servo the right way.
even Using the zeppin racing steering mount.required a bit of shimming but i still get full lock.
Even made up a pair of tamiya shocks to use and a thanks to craig and kinga for the advice and the know how to do it!!!!
Have you measured how thick the original chassis is compared with the Exotek?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
Side Piece Racing Nikita Outdrives are starting to get some adoption in under 1 month of availability. At the 2011 ROAR Paved On-Road Nats there were a bunch of XRays from the 17.5T blinky TC (Steve Sohl) to 13.5T & Modified TC (Randy Bernard) successfully running these new outdrives. I haven't heard of a single broken blade yet...

I just got a picture from Haywood of them installed into his car:
Quality product. I inspected them after the race weekend, good as new. One less thing for me to worry about. And they are made in the USA!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Side Piece Racing Nikita Outdrives are starting to get some adoption in under 1 month of availability. At the 2011 ROAR Paved On-Road Nats there were a bunch of XRays from the 17.5T blinky TC (Steve Sohl) to 13.5T & Modified TC (Randy Bernard) successfully running these new outdrives. I haven't heard of a single broken blade yet...

It takes a lot of convincing for us to even try a non Xray part in both of our XRAY T3'11 cars. During a recent club race, we broke the XRAY plastic outdrives in the 13.5 car and the aluminum ones in the MOD was showing a lot of wear. We tried the SidePiece outdrives and we were sold by the end of the day.

After 4 days of practice, qualifying and triple A mains at the ROAR Nats, the outdrives in both cars look perfect. Better yet, the 3.5 mm plastic caps on the drive shafts still look brand new.

Thank you for delivering a professional and quality product.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Have you measured how thick the original chassis is compared with the Exotek?

Stock is 2.53mm, Exotek is 2.27mm.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Stock is 2.53mm, Exotek is 2.27mm.
Cheers, how does handling compare with identical setups?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

While I'm sure they're great (they certainly look it) I was told by Elliot Harper while he was still running Xray that the composite outdrives give more steering. So I'm afraid I'll suffer with the odd breakage to gain more steering.

P.S. If you wrap the composite outdrives with cell tape, going around them about 3 times, making sure you keep it tight while applying it. This seems to help the outdrives last a lot longer as it allows them to distort slightly in a crash but the tension of the tape helps to prevent them fracturing.

Skiddins
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sohlman
Quality product. I inspected them after the race weekend, good as new. One less thing for me to worry about. And they are made in the USA!
Originally Posted by TeamB&B
It takes a lot of convincing for us to even try a non Xray part in both of our XRAY T3'11 cars. During a recent club race, we broke the XRAY plastic outdrives in the 13.5 car and the aluminum ones in the MOD was showing a lot of wear. We tried the SidePiece outdrives and we were sold by the end of the day.

After 4 days of practice, qualifying and triple A mains at the ROAR Nats, the outdrives in both cars look perfect. Better yet, the 3.5 mm plastic caps on the drive shafts still look brand new.

Thank you for delivering a professional and quality product.
Thanks guys for the unprompted feedback!

While I'm sure they're great (they certainly look it) I was told by Elliot Harper while he was still running Xray that the composite outdrives give more steering. So I'm afraid I'll suffer with the odd breakage to gain more steering.

P.S. If you wrap the composite outdrives with cell tape, going around them about 3 times, making sure you keep it tight while applying it. This seems to help the outdrives last a lot longer as it allows them to distort slightly in a crash but the tension of the tape helps to prevent them fracturing.

Skiddins
While the plastic outdrives might give more steering (i've never heard this before...) I for one rather finish my race than fail to finish. Your tape hint might do the trick for a bunch of people though....

For people who know me... I'm really good at failing without having other parts on my car fail
Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you have pics of an outdrive wraped with cell tape?
Thx
BB
Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey Mate
Where did u order the exotek chassis from?

Just got my exotek t311 chassis.Looks sweet and very nicely manufactored.
Even running the servo the right way.
even Using the zeppin racing steering mount.required a bit of shimming but i still get full lock.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Cheers, how does handling compare with identical setups?
Weight wise the Exo is about 2 grams lighter, definitely narrower the the stock chassis. The chassis handle pretty much the same as it feels like the Exo chassis is as stiff as the stock one but not as thick. Of course this is with full upper deck screws in and on carpet, but i think it will shine on asphalt and taking advantage of the multi-flex settings.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Weight wise the Exo is about 2 grams lighter, definitely narrower the the stock chassis. The chassis handle pretty much the same as it feels like the Exo chassis is as stiff as the stock one but not as thick. Of course this is with full upper deck screws in and on carpet, but i think it will shine on asphalt and taking advantage of the multi-flex settings.
I'm interested to see this for myself, the exotek should flex more simply because its narrower, but also being made of thinner CF you would expect a noticible difference.

Originally Posted by kinga
Hey Mate
Where did u order the exotek chassis from?
http://www.exotekracing.com

I ordered mine yesterday morning and it was shipped the same day. Great service
Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 PM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I'm interested to see this for myself, the exotek should flex more simply because its narrower, but also being made of thinner CF you would expect a noticible difference.

http://www.exotekracing.com

I ordered mine yesterday morning and it was shipped the same day. Great service

+1 to that Craig exotek has great service and there chassi is even better!!!
Kinga sorry for late reply not meant to be playing with my phone at work lol.Got mine through exotek.
Hey Craig those new shocks are so much nicer!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.