Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

will a 5 trun to 7.5 on will be ok speed on a 2s lipo with some good gears.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default tc6.1 arm mounts

Do I have to use the offset arm mounts? I'm building my 6.1 with "3" mounts and no shims (in front). However, using the "3 mount and no shims, it appears it may be difficult to get the correct negitive camber> Any thougths?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowerthanyou
Do I have to use the offset arm mounts? I'm building my 6.1 with "3" mounts and no shims (in front). However, using the "3 mount and no shims, it appears it may be difficult to get the correct negitive camber> Any thougths?
The offset mounts are the same as the stock mounts with 2mm of spacing built in - a 3 dot with 2mm worth of shims behind it = a 3 dot offset.

You'll probably want/need some spacing behind the mounts either way, if only so your bone blades don't bind in the outdrives (amongst other issues.)
Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowerthanyou
Your inner turnbuckle ballstud mounts might be in the outside hole? Use the inner one, or change the turnbuckle to a shorter link.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm looking for some opinions on front gear diffs. I have always used a spool, but I hear great things about using the gear diff. What material should I fill it with? Putty, heavy weight oil? I'm running 13.5 non-boosted, on a mid-size technical asphalt track, medium grip.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:58 AM
Tech Regular

Doesn't matter. I run a spool or gear diff with 500k oil. Depends on the track.

Go for 500k oil. For me its easier to change the oil than changing putty
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by R Doyel
I'm looking for some opinions on front gear diffs. I have always used a spool, but I hear great things about using the gear diff. What material should I fill it with? Putty, heavy weight oil? I'm running 13.5 non-boosted, on a mid-size technical asphalt track, medium grip.

Thanks in advance.
I used 1,000K this past weekend and I really liked it... I have not tried putty, the silicone oil seamed like it would be safer to me on the gears.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys, I'm brand new to on-road RC car racing. What is the difference between a "spool" and a "gear diff"? I take it the gear diff is what is stock on the TC6.1, beyond that I'm at a loss. Thanks for putting up with a newb.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JesusFreak
Hey guys, I'm brand new to on-road RC car racing. What is the difference between a "spool" and a "gear diff"? I take it the gear diff is what is stock on the TC6.1, beyond that I'm at a loss. Thanks for putting up with a newb.
A spool essentially locks the axles together so they will turn at the same rate. A gear differential or any differential for that matter will allow the axles to turn at different speeds. Think about when turning, the outside wheel follows a larger arc than the inside wheel. The differential allows the outside axle to turn at a faster rate than the inside so both wheels can go through the turn without binding up. A spool does not. Both work but some prefer the feel of one over the other.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Default New setup posted

Olly Jefferies - BRCA TC Nationals Rd. 2
Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
A spool essentially locks the axles together so they will turn at the same rate. A gear differential or any differential for that matter will allow the axles to turn at different speeds. Think about when turning, the outside wheel follows a larger arc than the inside wheel. The differential allows the outside axle to turn at a faster rate than the inside so both wheels can go through the turn without binding up. A spool does not. Both work but some prefer the feel of one over the other.

OK, in my old timer parlance I would call a "spool" a "posi", as in Posi-traction. Typically with real cars, a posi is good for drag racing and four wheel drive and for acceleration, but can be hard on larger tires on high grip surfaces. Where does the word "spool" come from in this term?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OK, in my old timer parlance I would call a "spool" a "posi", as in Posi-traction. Typically with real cars, a posi is good for drag racing and four wheel drive and for acceleration, but can be hard on larger tires on high grip surfaces. Where does the word "spool" come from in this term?
I think you are on to it. Main difference being in RC on-road racing you would never run one in the back of the car. Front only. You can run gear diffs front and back and typically racers will run a much thicker oil up front or even a putty to minimize the differential action. There is still a little "give" if you hit something but the handling characteristics are close to those of a locked axle. I still run the Associated slipper spool which has pads that allow a very small amount of movement in a large hit. Another option that may work for you. There are a few threads about the differences out there if you do a search as the differences has, at times, been a popular subject.

Sorry, not sure of the orgins of the word.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I would assume from the shape. A spool is essentially a cylinder. It has fixed outdrives on each end, and a fixed gear for the belt. It gives you a locked front axle so that the wheels are forced to turn together.

It can be harder on tires, and it reduces your steering, but it can be faster (more pull out of corners) and can be very effective in sweeping corners. A spool is also lighter then a locked diff.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM
KH
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mike nelson
I used 1,000K this past weekend and I really liked it... I have not tried putty, the silicone oil seamed like it would be safer to me on the gears.
U used 1000k in your front diff?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KH
U used 1000k in your front diff?
I run outdoor asphalt.
I use SpecR Gear Diffs front and back.
100,000wt. in front and 500wt. in rear.
Been messing around with 100K in front and NO oil in rear. Try it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.