Wiki Posts
Search

SXX Comp and TC Version 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1badgoat
Thanks in advance for any help. I have just installed a sxx stock spec in a Losi 22t with a 13.5 x-12. I calibrated it, broke in the diff and tried to set the slipper. When I give it full throttle it cogs severely. It operates perfectly fine if you give it throttle slowly or when the wheels are in the air. It is geared at 8.0:1 using a 3800 2s lipo. This is my third sxx ss esc and the second time this has happened. The first time was in my buggy, but it seems to work fine when I'm on the track. I've tried different sensor cables but no luck. Everything is brand new. For what they cost I can't beleave they would come bad from the factory. What am i doing wrong?
What you are getting is the current limiter kicking in, this is normal. If you want it to stop doing this select a power setting with a higher current limit. You can use a higher setting to set the slipper then change back to the profile you prefer for the track.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 AM
piper48

Originally Posted by fasteddie d
I have been waiting for a speed control sxx comp v2 that I sent in for repair at the beginning of January .
Called the people that represent lpr in north america and they advised they are waiting for the order to come in . I am trying to be patient but next week it will be a month and a half .
Oh what a beautiful indoor season its been .

Pls LRP I hope you send my speed control soon .
Originally Posted by howardcano
I sent a brand-new SXX comp v2 to Associated/LRP service on December 16 of last year. I'm still waiting. I purchased the LRP because they had a "service" center in the US, but they don't actually repair ESCs, they just replace them. If there's no stock, then there's no "service" available. They're made in Germany, but it might as well be China. Associated should change the name from "service" to "exchange" so they don't give the wrong impression to people.

I hope that you at least got some use out of yours before it failed. Mine was an out-of-box failure. I spent $200 on this thing, and I've never even used it.

There are other companies that actually DO service their products in a timely fashion. Next time, my money goes to them.
HA!!! Got you both beat. Sent my SXX Comp the last week of November last year and I still haven't got it back yet.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by piper48
HA!!! Got you both beat. Sent my SXX Comp the last week of November last year and I still haven't got it back yet.
Not only would I call that a loss, I'd change brands if that happened to me, and I LOVE my LRP speedos. Funny how there's always stock for the retailer, but never any for the service. Hope mine never go down, might just have to contribute it to the local landfill.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:43 AM
piper48

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Not only would I call that a loss, I'd change brands if that happened to me, and I LOVE my LRP speedos. Funny how there's always stock for the retailer, but never any for the service. Hope mine never go down, might just have to contribute it to the local landfill.
Well as much as it pains me to sit here and wait, I won't call it a loss just yet. I like LRP ESC and fortunately I got a whole season out of the Comp until I got T-boned on the straight, ESC side. I've NEVER had to send in an ESC to LRP to get repaired/replaced so this was all new to me. I figured a couple of weeks turnaround time but not the case. Totally disappointed in the service but the products are great. Let me know when you guys get yours back.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
What you are getting is the current limiter kicking in, this is normal. If you want it to stop doing this select a power setting with a higher current limit. You can use a higher setting to set the slipper then change back to the profile you prefer for the track.
Don't know why I hadn't thought of that
Good call Sean
Old 02-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,Has anyone had this problem?...

Firstly let me say that on forums such as these you only get posts about problems which give a negative impression of the products which simply is not the case. I have used many different makes of ESC and motors and in my opinion the LRP SXX TC Spec Version 2 with the Version 3 (Off road 1/10th) firmware is Superior in performace and quality.

I ran this setup with the firmware 1.5 for almost 12months without a problem but then shortly after upgrading my firmware to version 3 the BEC in my ESC failed. The speedo would work fine with a receiver battery but no BEC operation at all.

I sent the unit to my National distributor (SMD) and they replaced the unit FOC. I removed my old SXX TC Spec Version 1 Esc which works fine and replaced with the brand new unit just received form SMD. This unit worked fine for 2 meeting and then died in the A Final! This unit was completely dead and again I had upgraded it to Firmware 3.

I again sent this unit off to SMD and they replaced again with no problem. I received the new unit yesterday and replaced it into my car. It lasted 2 Heats and again died with BEC failure.

The ESC was run in Default mode with the flashing blue LED in neutral positions as on our tight track the extra timing and speed is not required and just makes thing run hotter.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

yes ive had this problem a couple of times. one lasted 4 min's and the other lasted for about 4 race meetings. I've just gone back to the trusty old version 1 sxx tc spec.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mild seven
yes ive had this problem a couple of times. one lasted 4 min's and the other lasted for about 4 race meetings. I've just gone back to the trusty old version 1 sxx tc spec.
Hi,
Was this using the version 3 firmware?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

I have a brand new Sxx ver 2 TC spec.
I have loaded the version 4.0 and actually running 1-3-0-1 (the motor is an X12 5T with 13mm sintered rotor).
I have noticed at the first run (same gearing) that the top speed lowered down tremendously. I had to gear down and still need to find a good gearing to see back the original speed i Had with ver 1.5.

Has anybody had this "effect"? is it normal?

Plus: reading the instruction, the "Feel / Active Control" says "current limiter: High". Does it mean the current is limited to a higher value? or the high limiter means it is lowering down the current passing to the motor?

Last edited by chobin; 02-19-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

in addition: I have another speedo (same) installed on a Bmax with an X12 6.5T and ver 3.0 (off road spec).

I still didn't run it, but reading your previous posts I guess this software has some problems??!?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chobin
I have loaded the version 4.0 and actually running 1-3-0-1 (the motor is an X12 5T).
Plus: reading the instruction, the "Feel / Active Control" says "current limiter: High". Does it mean the current is limited to a higher value? or the high limiter means it is lowering down the current passing to the motor?
The following quote is also from the manual....
"Group B (4 - 6) for use with all other motors (such as LRP X11, Novak, Tekin, SP, Orion, Epic, GM, Corally, etc)
higher value means faster power-delivery (e.g. 6 will have more torque then 4)"

in addition: I have another speedo (same) installed on a Bmax with an X12 6.5T and ver 3.0 (off road spec).

I still didn't run it, but reading your previous posts I guess this software has some problems??!?
I'm using V3.0 software in a SXX Comp and V2....one is in a B4.1, the other in a B44.1. This software has performed as expected for me. I've noticed no problems or issues.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sps3172
The following quote is also from the manual....
"Group B (4 - 6) for use with all other motors (such as LRP X11, Novak, Tekin, SP, Orion, Epic, GM, Corally, etc)
higher value means faster power-delivery (e.g. 6 will have more torque then 4)"

I'm using V3.0 software in a SXX Comp and V2....one is in a B4.1, the other in a B44.1. This software has performed as expected for me. I've noticed no problems or issues.
Hi,
have you noticed the V3 firmware to be much smoother than the V1.5?..as its meant for 2wd off road...and has less adjustments than v1.5.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sunktothenutz
Hi,Has anyone had this problem?...

Firstly let me say that on forums such as these you only get posts about problems which give a negative impression of the products which simply is not the case. I have used many different makes of ESC and motors and in my opinion the LRP SXX TC Spec Version 2 with the Version 3 (Off road 1/10th) firmware is Superior in performace and quality.

I ran this setup with the firmware 1.5 for almost 12months without a problem but then shortly after upgrading my firmware to version 3 the BEC in my ESC failed. The speedo would work fine with a receiver battery but no BEC operation at all.

I sent the unit to my National distributor (SMD) and they replaced the unit FOC. I removed my old SXX TC Spec Version 1 Esc which works fine and replaced with the brand new unit just received form SMD. This unit worked fine for 2 meeting and then died in the A Final! This unit was completely dead and again I had upgraded it to Firmware 3.

I again sent this unit off to SMD and they replaced again with no problem. I received the new unit yesterday and replaced it into my car. It lasted 2 Heats and again died with BEC failure.

The ESC was run in Default mode with the flashing blue LED in neutral positions as on our tight track the extra timing and speed is not required and just makes thing run hotter.
From the answer on the LRP forum,it looks like its the savox servos that cause the problem!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sunktothenutz
From the answer on the LRP forum,it looks like its the savox servos that cause the problem!
It's pretty well accepted that the BEC is the weak link in all of the current LRP ESCs (and perhaps the most sensitive of any out right now), regardless of servo choice. Seems silly to me to blame one particular servo brand since no other manufacturer seems to be having the same issue. If the BEC can't handle the amp draw of a stalled state commonly accepted servo, then the BEC is to blame.

Savox servos are known to be generallly higher amp draw than many others. Most only experience RX brown out when using Spektrum radios (which a 'glitch buster' usually fixes), but I suppose that enough of a load on the BEC might cause issues, eventually.

If that's the case for these, then I'll wait until the V3 BEC fix before buying another (as long as the BEC fix makes for a more robust item).
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 AM
AE-Reedy

I have loaded the version 4.0 and actually running 1-3-0-1 (the motor is an X12 5T with 13mm sintered rotor).
I have noticed at the first run (same gearing) that the top speed lowered down tremendously. I had to gear down and still need to find a good gearing to see back the original speed i Had with ver 1.5.

Has anybody had this "effect"? is it normal?

You are most likely lacking top speed because you selected 0 for the timing profile. Turn that up and you will see a big change in top speed.

Current limt high means it has a higher, more amps, current limit setting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.