R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-26-2004, 01:28 PM   #1651
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It's not about the car parts!

It's about the fact that I had copyrighted property stolen from me so that someone else profitted from it. Remember this is my profession!

This really wouldn't be such a big deal to me if He asked me for permission to use the pictures. Since he didn't, he stole my property (the pictures) then he made a profit out of it.
Runin Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #1652
Tech Adept

Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:33 PM   #1653
Tech Regular

It's nearly 100% then

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #1654
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Runin Ronin
espeng,

I took those pictures

Please allow me to educate you on International Copyright Laws. I am a photographer here in the USA. Every image I take is copyrighted, including the images you used on your eBay auction. Every image I take has my embedded digital watermark that identifies the image as my property.

International Copyright laws state that my images cannot be used for ADVERTISING unless you have written permission from the photographer. This permission is granted upon compensation.

I will double check my email and PM but, I do not believe I have received a request from you to use my copyrighted images for advertising.

If there is a question to why these images were posted on R/C Tech for the public to see, it's because I posted them to share my images. I did not post them for someone to steal and use for personal gain or profit.

Had I known about this earlier before your auctions were done, I would have simply asked you to remove my images from your auction... in fact, if you had simply asked me if you could use my images, I may have allowed it without compensation.

But, the damage has been done, You have stole from me and made profits from it. Please PM me and let me know how you plan on compensating me for the use of my copyrighted images.

Maybe this guy didn't know about the copyrighted images was there or does is really matter to the buyer..Give this guy a break.

Last edited by OVA; 10-26-2004 at 01:43 PM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:43 PM   #1655
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by OVA
Maybe this guy didn't know about the copyrighted images was there..Give this guy a break. beside this guy is not doing this e-bay for living.
OVA,

You are probably right that he doesn't know but, wouldn't be common courtesy to ask me to use my pics? I'm really steamed at this and I probably will not be as upset later on today.

He may not be making a living out of it but, he still made a profit using my images.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:15 PM   #1656
Tech Regular

Quote:
OVA,

You are probably right that he doesn't know but, wouldn't be common courtesy to ask me to use my pics? I'm really steamed at this and I probably will not be as upset later on today.

He may not be making a living out of it but, he still made a profit using my images.
You are so right!

Where does the guy get the nerve to come brag here that he bought the stuff for 14$ and then sells it on for 30+$

Did he pay taxes on his profits? Maybe its time someone send the IRS, or whatever governement agency there is in his country, on him.

In my view its time people stopped ripping off fellow RCers!

Its already bad enough that some of the proffesionals are doing this!
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:22 PM   #1657
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
OVA,

I don't think the guy really think that your images is going to make a big profit for himself.....It just a rare item to get. and that's a catch.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:24 PM   #1658
Tech Initiate

WOW!!

@Runin Ronin: I'm truly sorry about using your pictures without getting your permission. Where I come from (Norway) we don't have rules as far as I know that automatically copyrights every image put on the internet, unless it is mentioned that the material is copyrighted that is, and the artist have registered the work with what is called NCB (Norwegian Copyright Bureau). Most of the pictures found on bulletin-boards like this is usually taken from other sites / ads or whatever, and I didn't think of them as copyrighted material. Like you said - the "damage" has already been done, so I guess it won't do it for you if I took my own pictures now and replaced the ones on eBay. I'm sure you know that you won't get anywhere with a lawsuit, but please let me know what you think is a fair compensation for using your images. I'll be happy to work something out.

@Tamiyadriver, Chazz, Hardriven RC: Your right.. Maybe it's a rippoff buying stuff for $14 and selling for $30, but on top of the $14 you need to add shipping from Hong Kong to Norway. 24% taxes for importing, time spent on getting the package at the postoffice etc, etc.. I'm not really making a living out of this, I bought 8 and I decided to sell two of them. Both items started out at $15 at eBay. The first one was sold in 3 minutes using the buy now option, and the second one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5930004306) is up for regular auction. People are making a living of finding bargains and re-selling at eBay, it's not something I invented.

I hope I haven't pissed of a lot of people here The reason I'm visiting RC Tech is to make new friends and discuss the RC hobby, and I hope it can get back in that direction again.
espeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:56 PM   #1659
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by letitroll
Man, you guys are ready to go to court over some car parts! Get real! It's only a picture!
I cannot agree more. Ok its your pic but get real its of RC parts, shit the bed people post pics of other peoples cars on ebay for christ sake, if you did not want it on there maybe you shud not have posted the pic in the first place. Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:58 PM   #1660
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default pics

hijacked thread, hijacked thread!!!

i think what some of you are missing is that photography is Ronin's profession. Even if they are are "just" pictures of a few measly parts, somebody benefitted from it. Kind of like making a song by using a "little part" of somebody else's song. It doesn't really hurt, but the originator get's no credit. If anybody does any business on ebay, you will know there are a lot of scammers out there promoting their product using somebody else's picture - i've been ripped off buying so called authenic air jordan shoes.
Ronin's a good guy and i'm sure he'll feel much better with the apology

Now my fee for being a moderator will be one un-opened pack of the clear gear box package!!

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:05 PM   #1661
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
I cannot agree more. Ok its your pic but get real its of RC parts, shit the bed people post pics of other peoples cars on ebay for christ sake, if you did not want it on there maybe you shud not have posted the pic in the first place. Rick
exactly the point. how would you like to have a pic of something you are proud of and not get credit for it? would you be pissed if you painted a bad assed body for somebody and that person started using the image so they could sell their own painted bodies, claiming "yup, that's they type of work I do"?

the point is not that they are shitty plastic r/c car pieces. the point is that somebody used them for their own benefit without asking. Hell, if you wanted to sell your evo IV on ebay, you're not supposed to go to Tamiya's website and use their picture!

way off topic now and i don't know if we'll ever get to the real point.

Ronin's a cool guy and i have a lot of respect for espeng for the apology

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:30 PM   #1662
Tech Addict

espeng,

I accept your apology and respect you for offering compensation for the damage... but, that is not necessary. I was furious to see what had happened with my images. I still feel that my points were valid and I feel that you agree. I am not going to take any legal action nor will I accept any compensation from you. Your apology is sufficient.

If you still feel you need to compensate me, please do so buy clicking on the "PayPal Donate" button on the top of the R/C Tech screen. These forums allows all of us to get on top of our soapbox and rant on with anything we want.

letitroll, Rick Draper, and others that think my point is not valid,

I posted my pics to share with the community here on R/C Tech. I did not post them for others to use to advertise. This by any definition is Copyright Infringement. Yes, I understand 99% of the world does not understand this but, as a working photographer I do. Let me put it into R/C terms:

You are at a major race... Let's say the Worlds. You make the A main as an unsponsored driver. Masami, Hara, and Surikarn all take each other out on the first turn. You find yourself in the lead and end up winning!

Your favorite R/C magazine has a picture of you with the trophy on the cover but, on the 23rd page there is an ADVERTISEMENT of XYZ batteries with a picture of you and your car! You did not give XYZ permission to use your picture to advertise their product. How would you feel? "Oh, it's just a picture" or "Hey, I did not give permission to use that in an advertisement". You should go after that company and demand compensation or a sponsorship.

What happened to my images are no different.

Thank you everyone for their input on this matter, I consider it closed, espeng extended and I have accepted his apology. I think we all learned something today.

Regards,

John
Old 10-26-2004, 09:31 PM   #1663
Tech Addict

hierog,

Thanks for backing me up on this!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:32 PM   #1664
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Okay........ that was an interesting page and a bit to read once I woke up. But just my little input on the whole thing, I do agree with what Ronin is saying as I am usually in a fairly similiar position as I am a composer and musician and I would hate to even see a few bars that were just direct clones of what I had written. The other thing is, these are RARE items. I think its perfectly fair to make a profit out of them. I mean, he was the smart one who bought 8 sets wasn't he?? So he can sell them for whatever he wants as long as the purchaser is willing to pay that. Are we gonna complain about sports memorabaelia now, like ayrton senna posters which are unsigned which were sold for 9.95, are now being sold for 29.95. I think its perfectly reasonable.

But...... anyway....... has anyone got the tamiya aluminium drive cups yet??

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:36 PM   #1665
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally posted by espeng

@Tamiyadriver, Chazz, Hardriven RC: Your right.. Maybe it's a rippoff buying stuff for $14 and selling for $30, but on top of the $14 you need to add shipping from Hong Kong to Norway. 24% taxes for importing, time spent on getting the package at the postoffice etc, etc.. I'm not really making a living out of this, I bought 8 and I decided to sell two of them. Both items started out at $15 at eBay. The first one was sold in 3 minutes using the buy now option, and the second one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5930004306) is up for regular auction. People are making a living of finding bargains and re-selling at eBay, it's not something I invented.

I hope I haven't pissed of a lot of people here The reason I'm visiting RC Tech is to make new friends and discuss the RC hobby, and I hope it can get back in that direction again.
well, i agree that people use ebay to its fullest...

my theory is that if you just had extras you didnt need, you could have easily listed them here, and sold them just as fast. nobody, including me, wants you to lose money on shipping, imports, etc. but im sure that the 3-4 people that expressed interest in them right away (me included!) would have been glad to make it worth your time.

that said, they do look very nice... congrats!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote