Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default question on degrees

I was running yesterday 3* c-hubs and wanted to try something different maybe 6* c-hubs but is there anyway i can but a 1mm shim on the bottom some where so i can get 4*? Just wanted to try something different so i can be more aggressive in the turns.

-Jon
Old 09-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by JDXray
the difference between them is that, the smaller ones are for pivotball suspension (but you need the smaller pivotball steering blocks) the 22mm are for the c-hub and steering block conversion. I use the 22mm for my xray in the front there is no need in the back since they dont get grooved.
Hey Jon,

I appreciate your reply and I guess since it is for a FK with C-hubs then I guess that answers my question.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

no problem mike, just try and get some 22mm ones, my friend bought the smaller ones before and was disappointed when they didnt fit either steering block for c-hub or pivotball conversion. (he had to go and buy a smaller pivotball steering block for it to fit. But then that broke since it was smaller so he went back to the regular ones)

-Jon
Old 09-19-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Re: question on degrees

I was running yesterday 3* c-hubs and wanted to try something different maybe 6* c-hubs but is there anyway i can but a 1mm shim on the bottom some where so i can get 4*? Just wanted to try something different so i can be more aggressive in the turns.

-Jon
I tought less caster will make the car, in general (on and off), react more aggressive? Have you tried long parallel (angle) of both upper link to its lower arm vs. short and angled upper link, any comments?
Old 09-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

I heard more caster meaning 3 to 6 would make steering more aggressive. Now i am confused.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by Michal101
Pyramid,

YES, I know! I have read all pages, but there was different info posted on other boards and I guess my actual questions is "what really is the advantage or benefits of the XRA305215(smaller ones) over the XRA305315 or vice versa?"

Besides, the forum needed a Bump anyway.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Please go to page 300 started with post made by Besercoe at 9-17-2004 at 12:47pm. That's what exactly what your answer is. I hope no misunderstanding here
Old 09-19-2004, 07:46 AM

I heard more caster meaning 3 to 6 would make steering more aggressive. Now i am confused.
Very often facotry drivers (Jilles for example) are using 0 degree in final caster reading to gain more steering. If you already have 3, try to kick down the front lower arm so that it yields 0 caster... I believe you will find the car more twitchy to drive.. I'm not good in explanning those geomtery 'why' jargons that pros used, we will need Tony V on that department
Old 09-19-2004, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Pyramid
Hi Mike,

Please go to page 300 started with post made by Besercoe at 9-17-2004 at 12:47pm. That's what exactly what your answer is. I hope no misunderstanding here
Pyramid,

I did read that and he was asking about the differences between front and rear(which I knew) but I wanted to make sure that when Xray went with the FACTORY kit, with short arms, that nothing had changed pertaining to the axle hubs.

Rather be safe than sorry!

JD, I too thought that more caster would give you more initial turn in, but here is what I have found.

More caster aids stability, especially at high speeds.
More caster generally suits large, open, high-speed tracks.

Less caster increases steering drastically.
Steering feels much more direct, the car turns tighter and faster.
Small amounts of caster are suitable for tight tracks.

I got this from a setup forum somewhere.

I hope it helps, Mike
Old 09-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

thansk mike, then i do need to change my caster. I run at a track that is very fast. But still no one has anwser my question before.

Is there any way i can get 4* by using a 3* and shims? If not then i will jsut go to 6*.

-Jon
Old 09-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Pyramid
Please browse couple pages back. It"s been mentioned about 3 times within a month.
You know, in the time it took you to post this reply, you could have just posted the information for him.

Had I been reading this thread when he asked, I know I would have.

Rob
Old 09-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by losirob
You know, in the time it took you to post this reply, you could have just posted the information for him.

Rob
Rob,

I appreciate it and that is what I thought these forums are for.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

thansk mike, then i do need to change my caster. I run at a track that is very fast. But still no one has anwser my question before.

Is there any way i can get 4* by using a 3* and shims? If not then i will jsut go to 6*.

-Jon
Jon, I think it's theoretically possible - if you shimmed the front of both front bulkheads by the equivilent of 1 degree. But then, you're going to be changing the angle of your arms as well, not to mention the belt tension as you rotate the bulkheads towards the back of the car. You'd effectively be changing the anti-dive of the car to increase caster, which is going to introduce other handling changes that a "typical" c-hub swap wouldn't.

Rob
Old 09-19-2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by losirob

Rob
I actually tought the same way, meanted to have him look over couple pages, we all could avoid adding this pages with information that is repeated over and over again.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Michal101
Rather be safe than sorry!
Totally agree In case you bought the T1FK, I believe (might be wrong) inside included both the picture and part number of that item you looking for.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think the XRay parts lists are the most confusing I've ever had to use... I can't count how many wasted minutes I've spent at the LHS trying to figure out which part number is correct for the part I need.

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.