Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JDXray
And i know lighter bulkheads are better, but then again the FK kit is pretty light and some people would want to add some weight to that chassis.
Yep - My car, with electronics, batteries, body, etc.. ready to put on the track, is still 100g underweight. Looks like there's a weight set in my future.

Rob
Old 09-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally posted by JDXray
Gotta chill there Alberto, lol

DOH!!!!!!!! my bad
Old 09-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Rob, i am not sure if my T1R is under weight but i went ahead and put a 20g weight down the middle which i felt actually made a difference. I am still gonna have to see where to put weights in on the Fk. i was thinking 10g weights on right/left rear. (But i feel that extra weight in the back will throw the rear around too much). Any ideas?

-Jon
Old 09-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would try to find someone who's got some scales that will let you measure the weight on all four corners at once. I would do all I could to even out the weight at all four corners, and then stick some weights down the centerline, again, for the sake of balance. Locally, it seems like it's the oval racers that use the scales I'm talking about. Check your local track and see if anyone's got 'em and will let you use them.

Rob
Old 09-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Rob, but i doubt anyone at my track got scales, anyways sent you PM.

-Jon
Old 09-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ICIC.... Sorry I am just used to seeing the companies names at the bottom, and I directly link them with a driver running for them.. Sorry I want assume anymore! LOL

So far the things I am going to need besides the car for racing it on carpet is as follows:
Ball Diff
Extra Rigid 3.5mm Chassis
Shock Tower Front Factory
Akerman Extension Plates
Upper Deck Wide
Old 09-19-2004, 10:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by losirob
Not everyone who lists companies in their sigs are sponsored by 'em. Some people list 'em as a way to let people know what they run or what they like.

Rob
Not to mention, it's gonna be hard to get a ride with both Novak and LRP
Old 09-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by losirob
I would try to find someone who's got some scales that will let you measure the weight on all four corners at once. I would do all I could to even out the weight at all four corners, and then stick some weights down the centerline, again, for the sake of balance. Locally, it seems like it's the oval racers that use the scales I'm talking about. Check your local track and see if anyone's got 'em and will let you use them.

Rob
I love my four scales, I learned how to use them from Tom V, Losi Lunatic, and it has helped my racing 10 fold.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:59 PM
Tom
Tech Regular

Any one got a good setup for foam outdoor?

i need a setup with good side bite, as i have none since moving to foam from rubber.

Surface is very flat and smooth, a little dusty at times, with a mix of fast and technical corners.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Pyramid
Very often facotry drivers (Jilles for example) are using 0 degree in final caster reading to gain more steering. If you already have 3, try to kick down the front lower arm so that it yields 0 caster... I believe you will find the car more twitchy to drive.. I'm not good in explanning those geomtery 'why' jargons that pros used, we will need Tony V on that department
Uhoh, you're raising the expectations here Pyramid
What makes you think I understand the jargon that the pros use? I'm just a good actor leasing you all on !

Ah well, here it goes...

In general less caster (more vertical) will give you more off power steering into a corner but less on power steering mid corner and accelerating out of the corner. More caster has the opposite effect and will be more stable in a straight line resulting in less steering into the corner .

In Europe we tend to race rubber tyres on large or what in the US would probably be considered HUGE tracks. These tend to have fast flowing corners, but often also have tighter corners that you enter at very high speed. Since rubber tyres tend to naturally understeer at speed we usually opt to runn little or no caster to base the setup around so that we have a lot of steering into the corner.

With foam tyres the story is different as these give loads of grip compared to rubber tyres. If anything you need more stability going into the corner. Moreover, since you can enter the corner faster than with rubber tyres, you will exit with more speed too. To prevent understeer out of the corner and have more stability going in, more caster is usually required with foams.

On carpet the differences are the same, but in general we do run more caster on carpet even with rubber tyres as the corners tend to be tighter and speeds are lower, making understeer at corner exit a bigger problem.

Ultimately it is all about balancing straight line stability with steering at corner entry, mid corner and corner exit. Caster angle is a great setup option to get a basic balance. Other setup options can then be used to fine tune the balance.

For an extensive explanation of caster and other setup options follow this link and download the latest Hudy setup booklet: http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...62&kategoria=0

Tony Vredenberg
Team XRay
Old 09-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Nice work Tony V, Very helpful information, thanks.

-Jon
Old 09-20-2004, 06:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK, I have a question. I am planning to get a T1, where in the states is a good place to order a car and parts? My LHS doesn't have Xray stuff so for now I have to mail order. I'm sure someone has asked this before, I just didn't want to look through 306 pages of posts. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Yea this question has been asked alot.

Horizonhobby
Stormerhobbies
thrcshack
RCamerica (comingsoon)
Ebay
Forums here.

There are alot.

Just gotta look around.

Jon
Old 09-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

rcamerica does not sell direct. they only work with dealers.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

oooops sorry about that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.