Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default Up/Down stops

is it best to measure up and down stops with or without the shocks installed?

Always done them with, but figured it may be a easier time without. However, without shocks, can I truly get their limits?

^5s
Old 08-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Xray T1 with foams

Originally posted by Rolling Wreck
Hi guys
I own a Xray T1 and have decided to run foam tires on said beast. My problem arrises when I try to fit 30mm rear foam tires. The rear suspension basically wont allow such wheels/tires to fit.Other than changing the rear end to a "C Hub" type has anyone got any ideas short of cutting the rear supports?
What I've done with standard 28mm tires/wheels that "rubbed on my front steering" linkage was even-ed out the inner portion with sand paper/file as I had it on the wheel on the truer [the 28s measured closer to 30mm when I put a caliper to them].

I was told by more than one person, that 28s are more than adequate for traction when running foams [currently, my "home" track is indoor & considered to be a medium to high bite track on ozite carpet-plaids and purples are most common on front & rear, respectively].

Hope this helps [but like in cooking, everyone has a different recipe].

^5
Old 08-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Or you could put another washer on the INSIDE of the wheel to space it out.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Woohoo they fit
Tried a bit of both ideas and now the wider foam wheels fit on the car. Mind you had to look closely to make sure there was actually some clearance.Spaced out the rims with spacers and then touched up the rims ever so lightly and bingo they fit.Thanks guys am sure there will be more things I will need help with
Old 08-15-2004, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

Woohoo they fit
Tried a bit of both ideas and now the wider foam wheels fit on the car. Mind you had to look closely to make sure there was actually some clearance.Spaced out the rims with spacers and then touched up the rims ever so lightly and bingo they fit.Thanks guys am sure there will be more things I will need help with
Good deal! That should do it for now, but if you run an event where tech-ing is done, be sure to measure your track width so you don't get DQed [with the spacers installed].

If spacers are a must, look for an off-set [tire/wheel] that will give you the clearance you need and still keep to specs! Some tracks and racers [who will more than generously point the "discrepancy" out] can be very particular to specs. Most are good to and allow you to "run what you brung", until you get into big, sponsored and/or sanctioned event(s).

^5s
Old 08-15-2004, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Woohoo they fit
also, that is a lot of tire. It take quite a bit of heat to get them up to stickyness. And can you maintain the heat in that much tire\foam?
Old 08-15-2004, 05:37 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Up/Down stops

Originally posted by Tom G
is it best to measure up and down stops with or without the shocks installed?

Always done them with, but figured it may be a easier time without. However, without shocks, can I truly get their limits?

^5s
Anyone with any help?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:03 AM

Default ball diff

does anybody know where i can find a factory ball diff im have no luck and need one soon thanks for your help jesse
Old 08-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

If you look in the setup book, pages 16 and 17, you will see that the shocks are not on the car when the downstops are measured.
I do it like the book says....
Old 08-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: ball diff

Originally posted by J FAST
does anybody know where i can find a factory ball diff im have no luck and need one soon thanks for your help jesse
Parts are still scarce. You might want to use existing parts until more arrive.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by TraceRacing
If you look in the setup book, pages 16 and 17, you will see that the shocks are not on the car when the downstops are measured.
I do it like the book says....
Thanks for your answer. What prompted this whole thing was an over haul and thought about checking/setting the up & down stops, and then, the revelation of "what about about shock travel"? So, I thought I'd ask.

^5
Old 08-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Tom G
Thanks for your answer. What prompted this whole thing was an over haul and thought about checking/setting the up & down stops, and then, the revelation of "what about about shock travel"? So, I thought I'd ask.

^5
It should not matter whether the shocks are on the car or not, a car with droop screws should have shocks that are far longer than required, as is the case with the xray, just put the car on droop blocks, push equally down on both suspension arms, and measure from the lowest point.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

this is not true with the short arms. when you setup for carpet, the spring combination is soo stiff, that it actually twists the rear arms and the droop is actually more then what you would set without the shocks in place.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by theisgroup
this is not true with the short arms. when you setup for carpet, the spring combination is soo stiff, that it actually twists the rear arms and the droop is actually more then what you would set without the shocks in place.
If your springs are twisting the arms, then you are running too much spring tension, i generally set the ride height, and then adjust droop so that there is minimal tension on the spring, then make sure droop is equal using gauges. If you run extreme tension on the spring the car will feel weird, it will be too bouncy, the suspension will not want to react.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

most guys are running purple spring and some into the red with mod. that is the standard setup for carpet. Take a look a josh's, or alex's carpet setup. These I guantee will twist the arms. I think almost .5 mm of difference with and without the shocks installed. This is a know issue with the flexability of the short arms. you have to remember with the short arms, the droop screws are on the opposite side of the arm as the shock mount and also on the opposite end. so with the shock install it will always put a twist in the rear arms.

I have asked several people including josh. basically they are either setting the droop with block without the shocks, or they are setting the dropp using uptravel and forgetting the blocks. What you could do is a combination of both. set the droop with the block to get them even, and then check uptravel that both side are traveling the same amout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.