Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: rear being stiffer than the front....

Originally posted by SMcpot
I don't have an FK, but noticed that the rear on my pivot ball-equipped Evo 2 is also much stiffer than the front (same oil front and rear, one-hole difference in pistons). There's no binding anywhere in the suspension, and moving the shocks makes no difference. The car does seem to need a little more on-power steering, so I'm wondering if this characteristic was engineered into the car...
It's more a function of leverage than anything. The rear shock mounts are mounted further away from the hingepin than the front mounts. That position gives more leverage to the shock and shock action. You will notice that on any car that has differing shock mounting positions.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: rear being stiffer than the front....

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
It's more a function of leverage than anything. The rear shock mounts are mounted further away from the hingepin than the front mounts. That position gives more leverage to the shock and shock action. You will notice that on any car that has differing shock mounting positions.
Thank you

Hi SMcpot,
That lacks on-throttle steering is really classic for this kind of car geometry. Mid-Ship with motor below the middle shaft, just like 414M.
Change to bigger caster angle and use front kick-up should help.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default another fk question

okay i just put together my fk yesterday and i noticed when i put the shocks on they were the same because they were whites all around. So i found a Purple Xray shock in my box and put it in the front.

I believe for racing it is supposed to be hard in front and softer in rear. So purple is softer than white right. But when i compress them with my hand on the car they feel the same. Is that wrong? I even put the clicks in the front on hard and softest clicks in the back. They were still pretty close. Could it be from the shock oil? I only have 30w. If so what weight should i put in the front?

And for stock racing on carpet whats the best shock setup?

thanks

Jon
Old 08-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

purple(33lbs) is way hard and white(17.5lbs) is way soft. they should be within 5lbs of each other.

as far as carpet setup, i would look to josh. goto cefx and download his nat's setup
Old 08-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

so odd reason they feel the same.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i don't know. Never had that much difference between front and rear shocks. With my setup, they are pretty even. and with carpet the rear has very little travel, would be hard to tell that the front is stiffer or the rear or they are the same.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

oh okay, so i am not crazy at least that is correct. I guess i will leave it as purple front and white rear until i get some more springs. I was going to put tc3 ft shocks on it but i couldnt figure a good way to put them on it.

Anyone know a good set up for stock carpet racing?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yup-Josh's Nats set-up is a great place to start. Thats where I started and cars been great ever since. I change things a tiny bit every run-but nothing major-just to learn what a few shims here feels like-or more toe-out here feels like. Josh's set-up is fast on corner speed and easy to drive.

Ray

Originally posted by theisgroup
purple(33lbs) is way hard and white(17.5lbs) is way soft. they should be within 5lbs of each other.

as far as carpet setup, i would look to josh. goto cefx and download his nat's setup
Old 08-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

okay thanks guys
Old 08-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JDXray
so odd reason they feel the same.
It still comes down to leverage. With the same springs all the way around the car, the front will feel softer because the front bottom shock position has less leverage on the arm. If you put heavier springs on the front, they become stiffer and closer to the feel of the rear shocks.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

ah i see now, so it doesnt matter how they feel. It matters whats lbs in front and rear
Old 08-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

just saw josh setup for indoor nats, it was alittle weird setup on the rear toe-in i think it was. 2.0 and and 2.5 on the other side? or was that front and rear. Anyways would his setup work on a t1r?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: another fk question

[B]okay i just put together my fk yesterday and i noticed when i put the shocks on they were the same because they were whites all around. So i found a Purple Xray shock in my box and put it in the front.
Hmm, don't know. It depends on how you like your car I guess. On my favorite track I run 30wt oil and wite springs all around with 4 holes open on al 4 shocks.

rear. So purple is softer than white right. But when i compress them with my hand on the car they feel the same. Is that wrong?
To compare spring stiffness. Put them on top of each other and compress them until one is compressed totally. That one will be the softer one.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: another fk question

Originally posted by vassago
To compare spring stiffness. Put them on top of each other and compress them until one is compressed totally. That one will be the softer one.
With my luck and incompetence, the springs fly all over the room before I have compressed one of them
Old 08-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

ah i see now, so it doesnt matter how they feel. It matters whats lbs in front and rear
If I remember right, in the XXX-Main touring car setup book - the guy there says he always sets his car up so that when he presses down on the car it feels equal front and rear.

For me, I play around with a few sets of springs until I get a car which handles the way I like it - but generally the rear is softer by about one or two spring hardnesses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.