Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey fellow x-ray guys nov 2nd is the mid-atlantic carpet clash at the track in gaithersburg md. whos coming lets get a good showing at this race and show the slosi's and tc-3 what were made of get details at www.rctrack.com its a one day event and will be fun
Old 10-22-2002, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just like JeffC mentioned, I filed the portion of the axle that prevented the bearing from sliding freely off. I have not yet had to use a hammer.

I ran my car with cells on one side but reverted back to saddle. The amount of weight required to balance the car was more than I expected. I imagine for mod applications the added weight is moot, but for stock I want to stay near the min.

Been running the c-hub and I must say it can take a beating and keep on going. Right now I am messing with the rear roll center. I made a few woven graphite pieces to raise and relocate the ball stud. At the moment, my latest setting has the ball stud 4mm inside the hub and elevated 5mm. The rear is better planted on and off power during the turns. It may be a little too happy to roll but I will have to use the various shock mounting/valving options and springs to work that out.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

RCCadet....

Any Pictures of what you have done?
Old 10-22-2002, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I will try to swing by the shop and have them take a couple pics.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Stormperson,

I would try to lightly grind down the edges with a dremel, then they should come off.

I just got the C hub kit, any setup reccomendations for the taunton track?
Old 10-23-2002, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey guys i pulled out the evo 2 last night for the first ever time on the track and a race night too. Totally dialed on handout tires for the US touring car champs. Take off 27 premounted. All i can say is i am very impressed with this car. I am the only one with the xray at my track also.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys, i haven't been around for a real long time now, but hoping to be back soon, been busy. The last time i posted i had 2 Xray's, now i have a total of 5, yes, 5, 4 of them are the T1, and 1 Evo 2. Great car i say.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sizzler: i am only running the c hubs up front (and i hear this is the same as what ralph burch is doing as well).

right now i am running an evo with the stiff upper deck (the original xray chassis is stiffer than the evo 2 one which is nice, since i am getting some nasty chassis flex running mod).

tc3 white springs (40lbs) front and rear. 80 weight oil front and rear, smallest piston setting in the front and second smallest in the back. center one way loose. plaids and purples, full paragon rear and inside up to right before the orange compound foam on the front of the plaids. i am also running a front anti roll bar at around 30-40 degrees, and a rear 1mm sway bar. high roll center in the back as well. not quite sure on alighment but this is what i think it is, rear toe=2.5 or 3, and front toe around 1 or two, because due to turnbuckle lenth i am phyically unable to run 0, although i think it would handle better at 0 in the front. and the stock 3 degrees of caster up front.

just some notes:
the car seems to "chatter" or jump up and down in the front during high load turns. talking to eric, the schui missions did this as well last year. Right now the car is pushing a little, i tried running more front sauce and/or less front roll bar angle, but the chatter is alot worse, and thus slower. i am going to be there this friday afternoon to test out some other things that will decrease rear bite, and not increase front bite, since the front bite is casuing the chattering.

right now my fast lap is around an 11.6, erics is 11.1 ish, and scott and brian were able to get down to 11.3's i think. although i ended up winning mod sedan on sunday since eric only ran mod 12th scale, so that was nice, but the car is not as fast on a single lap as the tc3's and xxx's. although i found it pretty easy to drive. i need a little more steering in the apex of the corner when the car is in higher loading corners, otherwise its great right now.

(sorry i wrote so much, but hopefully it will help you out).
Old 10-23-2002, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

stormperson, just a thought, maybe the front chattering is causing your push. If the tires are losing contact with the ground, they obviously lose grip. So try stiffening the front end a little bit, to hopefully help with the chattering. Also, when I first ran my XRay the front end chattered a little bit, I think I ended up opening another hole in the front shocks, but I'm not sure (was over a year ago).
Old 10-23-2002, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

i was thinking the same thing, but the car pushes when it doesnt chatter as well. and actually there is not a big difference in how much it pushes when it does chatter, which i found odd, but thats what i noticed. if i have the sway bar at full vertical then it pushes, at flat it chatters a good deal, but right now a little below 45 degrees its good. so i assume the chattering is not casuing the push, but is when the front end has too much grip.

so i am seeing if i can take away more rear grip (ie stiffer rear bar) and maybe a little more steering throw, although i think it would mess it up in the lower speed, low G corners, and negate helping it in the fast stuff.

and i think also if the chassis was stiffer it would help as well, i tried two upper decks but the belt rubs then. and i am not quite ready to buy the orginal xray chassis to solve the problem.

although my suspenion right now feels like i have glue in the shocks almost, lol... it is so stiff.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The only time my car has chattered is if the damping is either way too light or way to heavy for the springs. 80wt seems very hard with closed pistons, over here most of the drivers are running in the 30-40 wt, even when running very hard springs. Although this is mainly for outdoor tarmac. But your settings still seem way too heavy.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

i am running on carpet. the guys with tc3's are running similar setting, slightly lighter, which would make sense since the extra chassis flex on the xray requires stiffer shock settings than a tc3.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I run a evo 2 but recently picked up a old t1 for a junker, i put the old top deck on and it made it much stiffer, and more neutral on the track. the lower deck is a bit flexier than the old one, but with the stiff upper deck, anyone who could tell the difference is playing with themselves.

I would still say your chattering problem is due to too high damping, as the suspension is unable to keep up with the changes in the track surface, and thus skips across the ridges etc.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I'm new to the X-RAY I need some help understanding the ecentric blocks, has anyone played around with them. If so can you please explain its function to me and your experience with it. Thx.

Also i'm currently running stock with my EV02, i'm thinking about purchasing the T1 chasiss, it looks as if it has a lot less flex. At sometime down the road I will be running mod with this car as well or buying another to run in mod. Any thoughts on this.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

storm, try changing oil to 50wt. and use the white springs. although I have the T1 chassis and upper deck on my Evo2, it feels much better running lighter oil and springs. I'm not using a rear swaybar either. I'm using white springs,50wt. front bar at 45, front pistons are 2 hole and the rear is 3 hole, roll center bridge lower hole, front eccentrics upper holes. Everything else is stock. Try something close to this. Todd Lewis drove the car in practice (9x2 mod) and he thought it was real close. Chassis flex and swaybars just don't mix well on carpet. Been there done that!!!! You want the car to roll in the turns, it's just a matter of when and how much. Everyone keeps telling me my car is fast through the corners. I keep telling them it's slow. Finished 5th out of 30+ in 19T. I'll be playing with front caster this weekend and changing the eccentrics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.