Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lutach
Please look again at section 8.8.2.4.2 and it says, "Only one piece, two pole Neodymium sintered, or Ferrite (Ceramic) magnetic rotors are permitted". So if I wanted to race a sensored based 4 or 6 pole 10th scale motor, I couldn't run it because by your rules only 2 pole rotors are mermitted.
You also can't use a motor out of a Prius Hybrid, a nitro motor, a fusion reactor, a solid rocket booster, hypergolic fuels, a Cadillac starter motor, steam turbine, gas turbine, cell phone vibrator motor, ion drive, warp drive, magneto hydrodynamic drive, W16 Veyron motor, wankel, diesel, solar sail, wind sail, CO2 cartridge, ducted fans, props, or 28 pole brushless rotors.

As for that last one, trust me, that's where that path leads. I'm also a slotcar racer. I know all about trying to glue together 30 tiny cobalt segments to make a decent motor.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hah!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
You also can't use a motor out of a Prius Hybrid, a nitro motor, a fusion reactor, a solid rocket booster, hypergolic fuels, a Cadillac starter motor, steam turbine, gas turbine, cell phone vibrator motor, ion drive, warp drive, magneto hydrodynamic drive, W16 Veyron motor, wankel, diesel, solar sail, wind sail, CO2 cartridge, ducted fans, props, or 28 pole brushless rotors.

As for that last one, trust me, that's where that path leads. I'm also a slotcar racer. I know all about trying to glue together 30 tiny cobalt segments to make a decent motor.
Your point is? Let the ROAR director answer that one as he clearly said they do allow the 2 types of motors I stated. Or maybe I missed the sarcasm in your post. Maybe you're the joker of the group. What it comes down to is ROAR not letting more technology and choices to be used. They did a while back finally allow Castle's motors to be used, but I think in modified class only. So please let the ROAR director explain why he said they do allow them.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by skypilot
luntach, looking to update my video collection, are there any recent youtube videos that show the current equipment you are using. only one I can find shows a beat up TC with rcvr pack and a magum jr radio doing so not so fancy drifting in a parking lot.
Can't drift, but you can teach me if you have time .
Old 09-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Lord

Your point is? Let the ROAR director answer that one as he clearly said they do allow the 2 types of motors I stated. Or maybe I missed the sarcasm in your post. Maybe you're the joker of the group. What it comes down to is ROAR not letting more technology and choices to be used. They did a while back finally allow Castle's motors to be used, but I think in modified class only. So please let the ROAR director explain why he said they do allow them.
The point is do you want to go from $80 motors to $800 motors?
Old 09-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jiml
The point is do you want to go from $80 motors to $800 motors?
The motors are not expensive, what makes them expensive are the people selling them. A 4 or 6 pole motor made in China like most can be priced the same as a 2 pole motor. They are built just about the same way as a 2 pole motor with slotted stator and will by Y wound like the rules says. It would also be nice to allow D wound motors as well and just let the technology move ahead. I have converted an old Aveox sensored motor to run with today's sensored ESC and it's just amazing. It's more efficient due to the design and at only 5000rpm/v it sure seems as fast as any lower turn 2 pole motors.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Lord

The motors are not expensive, what makes them expensive are the people selling them. A 4 or 6 pole motor made in China like most can be priced the same as a 2 pole motor. They are built just about the same way as a 2 pole motor with slotted stator and will by Y wound like the rules says. It would also be nice to allow D wound motors as well and just let the technology move ahead. I have converted an old Aveox sensored motor to run with today's sensored ESC and it's just amazing. It's more efficient due to the design and at only 5000rpm/v it sure seems as fast as any lower turn 2 pole motors.
Yea but you open the door to other companies using the rule to create some very exotic combinations that are very expensive. And the one thing in this hobby is no matter what it cost someone will buy it.

I'm waiting for the first old brushed motor tuner to say I told you so.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Black Diamond ESC/Team Wave RB50??

So I've had too much time on my hands and started thinking...

I've taken a close look at the Black diamond ESC and noticed the two circuit board design and what looks to be bullet style connectors or solder post soldered between the two boards. So I remembered another ESC with the same design...the Team Wave RB50. The RB50 came out in the spring of 08 as did the Black Diamond. So I am wondering if the Black Diamond is the same physical ESC with maybe different firmware? That would make sense since it has been said the ESC has been available to the public since 08, and it would also make sense that Advanced is not the OEM...but more of a "software" company.

Take a look at the pics of the RB50 and notice the circuit board design, sensor plug and program button placement. Also the RB50 is very small in size as is the Black Diamond. The only major difference is the casing but remember these are prototype pics of the black diamond.

IF this is true, what would be interesting is the possibility of an open source ESC. Since software is going to be, and is for the most part, the big factor in the future of brushless, I think that firmware companies would start to pop up if there were an open source ESC.

But then again I could be wrong
Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
IF this is true, what would be interesting is the possibility of an open source ESC. Since software is going to be, and is for the most part, the big factor in the future of brushless, I think that firmware companies would start to pop up if there were an open source ESC.
I think there might already be a precedent for this in RC with chargers. The best I can tell, it looks like Hyperion sources its chargers from SJ Propo, has its own case/faceplate design done up, and then writes its own firmware for the devices. The ones with updatable firmware seem to use a PIC, which lends itself to easy programming & updates. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see that with programmable ESC's as well, though it's hard to tell with the two in your comparison.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yea but you open the door to other companies using the rule to create some very exotic combinations that are very expensive. And the one thing in this hobby is no matter what it cost someone will buy it.

The combination doesn't need to be expensive. Like I said before, a 4 pole motor can be made to sell at the same price level of any 2 pole on the market today. But as said here http://www.rctech.net/forum/6379591-post578.html, ROAR does allow them so soon we shall see a new motor on the market.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

I think the guys at Team Brood did over a year ago, they made a comment that they had tested alternative motors and if they were allowed to use more poles they could quite easily meet the efficiancy of brushless while beating the power.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I was lucky enough to have EddieO show me a couple of cad drawings of the brushed rotors he wanted to produce. pretty cool stuff.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cammer
I think the guys at Team Brood did over a year ago, they made a comment that they had tested alternative motors and if they were allowed to use more poles they could quite easily meet the efficiancy of brushless while beating the power.
They'll probably see this and know that the ROAR Director said they are allowed.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by skypilot
I was lucky enough to have EddieO show me a couple of cad drawings of the brushed rotors he wanted to produce. pretty cool stuff.
Something with 4 brushes would be insane I guess .
Old 09-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Cammer
Yea but those were brushed motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.