Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

check this video out: R.O.A.R.'s beginning (First ever R.O.A.R nationals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI4RnN_90MY
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gonzo416
check this video out: R.O.A.R.'s beginning (First ever R.O.A.R nationals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI4RnN_90MY
I like the bodies...Do you guys know if any company still makes anything like those?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

you mean like these
Attached Thumbnails Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?-dscf0638.jpg   Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?-dscf0639.jpg  
Old 09-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Back to the source of this thread for a second...

People talking about the CRC/Advanced ESC and its use at the IIC. We interviewed Frank Calandra on our podcast this week. Frank also touches on the controversy surrounding Bryan Wynn in 17.5 1/12-scale too. Check it out at http://www.horizonhobby.com/Podcasts/ and get the story straight from the horse's mouth.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

RCGARYK good idea. I heard rctvlive is also doing an entire episode on the iic and this speed control. I cant wait to see it.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by microcrazy24
RCGARYK good idea. I heard rctvlive is also doing an entire episode on the iic and this speed control. I cant wait to see it.
It's an audio podcast, no video so there's nothing to watch. I will say that Frank was very open and honest about what went down.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Lord

Gary, from a wannabe radio guy, nice job!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Lord

The speed control used is not a prototype. Interesting.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jiml
Gary, from a wannabe radio guy, nice job!
What are you talking about, I used to be in radio, so nothing wannabe about it

Oh, you meant you, didn't you? lol, Those hours of listening to talk radio have helped I think
Old 09-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Did you call Frank a horse, or are you insinuating that he had a equine to human mouth transplant? Is this information that came out in the behind-the-scenes interview? How much were you paid not to talk about these ground breaking issues?

Things that the media know and don't tell the public... Frank, I'd be careful. You might soon have the RC paparazzi stalking you.
_____

Let's not forget the important reason we go to big events: Let's race!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
The speed control used is not a prototype. Interesting.

In regards to the Advanced ESC not being prototype, I call BS.

Just because there are a "few" units available, in very limited quantities, does not mean that it is not a prototype. The ESC is in the last stages of testing and revisions before mass production. To summarize what Frank stated, they are making a few changes since the IIC to ready it for mass production. How can the limited quantity of units prior to mass production not be "prototype", especially if they aren't for retail sale?

Prototype -noun.
1. the original or model on which something is based or formed.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prototype

This is why ROAR needs to clarify/expand the rule in question. The rule states it has to be available for retail sale 14-days prior to the race.

To clear this up, Can anyone find one of these for retail sale? Tell us who to call to buy one, I'm sure several people will be willing to order internationally now.

Regardless, the ESC is going to be awesome, and until someone else comes out with something to match the Advanced/CRC ESC, I feel the competition is going to be very ugly for anyone not running one.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Listened to the podcast. Very nice work. I do find it a little suspect that they were unwilling to change to the "normal" configuration regarding the receiver pack. Not only were they running an esc not available on the open market, they were running it in such a way that they were asked to configure it like everyone elses and they refused to do so.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Lord

Okay, as you define, a prototype is a original or model on which something is based. According to Frank in the interview, the SC came in printed boxes as they would be sold in a hobby shop, and they had a full set of directions. Plus each member of the team had one, so it's hard to use your definition to call these prototypes. Now, a prototype and a pre-production unit, well, how do you tell the difference?

Availability is another issue. This appears to be a small company, so their production run may not be the same as say Novak. And they're in Sweden (well known for their electronics expertise) with no US distributor yet, with CRC filling that void very soon. But with the ease of the internet you can get almost anything from anywhere in the world in a matter of days. Hobby shop availability has become almost moot.

And as a comparison I happen to know that Speedmerchant has a new chassis designed for 1s lipo that I'm not sure if it's available to the general public, but a few people who are friends with Bruce have them. I'd be willing to bet that there were a few at Vegas. Would this be considered a prototype? (note this is not a slam on Speedmerchant, Bruce is a good guy and the cars are great)

So where do you draw the line? Technology and availability change every day, and it's impossible to keep track of all of it.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wcalaker
Listened to the podcast. Very nice work. I do find it a little suspect that they were unwilling to change to the "normal" configuration regarding the receiver pack. Not only were they running an esc not available on the open market, they were running it in such a way that they were asked to configure it like everyone elses and they refused to do so.
Listen to the interview. They were asked to change the setup after the 4th round of qualifying. So all their practice and qualifying to that point would be thrown out the window. Who in their right mind would agree to that? And the esc has a regulator in it (just like every other esc) to power the electronics. I think using the tiny 2s receiver pack is brilliant, and solves all the issues of running the electronics on low voltage (the 3.7v that powers the motor). Seriously, I think you guys are starting to see black helicopters here.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by timmay70
Did you call Frank a horse, or are you insinuating that he had a equine to human mouth transplant? Is this information that came out in the behind-the-scenes interview? How much were you paid not to talk about these ground breaking issues?
I'm hoping that this was tongue-in-cheek and not a serious accusation of me being "paid" to ask or not ask certain questions. I was the one who saw the issue crop up on the internet and thought it would make for an interesting interview. I was the one who contacted Frank, he did not contact us. I maintain complete and total editorial control over what we put out there, not the guests. Like I say I think this was more tongue-in-cheek than serious, but just wanted to put this out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.