Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

ROAR has not yet addressed what an ESC should or should not be capable of doing, but should they outline specifically how ESC's should be allowed to work, or do we simply ask ROAR to approve ESC's just like they do batteries, motors, and bodies?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Are you referring to the ESC, the software/firmware or both?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just wondering what brought this on?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The more restrictive the rules, the easier it is to cheat.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This might be in response to alleged prototype ESCs being ran in Vegas last week.

Personally, I think the governing bodies should have specified that timing be fixed. But, pretty much no one realized how many hundreds of dollars that would have saved every electric racer. Now we are stuck in this world.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by adamge
Personally, I think the governing bodies should have specified that timing be fixed. But, pretty much no one realized how many hundreds of dollars that would have saved every electric racer. Now we are stuck in this world.
Maybe so but how do you enforce it? Even if you come up with some way of checking the profile from every manufacturer I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to have a hidden profile that can be activated after tech. As nice as some rules would be, if it can't be effectively enforced, it can't be made a rule.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So you eliminate the computer adjustable speed controls from the equation. The SPX has done well until the v200 firmware from Tekin came out.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
So you eliminate the computer adjustable speed controls from the equation. The SPX has done well until the v200 firmware from Tekin came out.
Oh that's a great idea. The only speed control that you can upgrade for free instead of buying a new one to stay competitive and you want to ban it. Seems to me the better option would be for all the other manufacturers to follow tekin's example.

Look, I know things are kind of crazy right now but sooner or later we will hit the physical limits of what is possible and once every manufacturer gets there, things will stabilize.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Just my opinion, I don't think you should tie the hands of the manufacturers. Some pretty amazing stuff coming out the tekin camp. On the other hand I have an RS in my vintage GTA and I don't feel comfortable using all the adjustments, but where do you draw the line.

Good subject
Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well, I run a gtb and it is limited for me. I would buy LRP, but have had a bad experience with them and will not go back. Most of the guys run LRP so they have the ability to run advance timing electronically were as I can't so, it would be nice to see some limits, but it is a catch 22 situation. I just try to drive better to make up for what I don't have..
Old 09-13-2009, 05:10 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just somethin else to complain about. u eliminated the 'need' to keep buyin batteries that had more punch or runtime and thus a big $$$. need i forget saying 'showing up with 1 battery vs 6'. we've also removed the need to be a mad scientist with brushes, springs, comm lathes, hood tools etc etc in brushed motor tech. both huge expenses that have been reduced or removed from hobby.

honestly, i dont mind stirrin the shite as many of u know, but...

this is an issue over technology that is avail to all of us (yes the pros get to try trick stuff 1st, but it trickles down. nothin new there).

every1 has some form of adjustable timing. and if u go to far, u pay the price. same as before with every1 running fixed timing (exc mod).

want to complain bout something on speedo tech? is that all this tech has a cool factor. but how is it gonna help keep people in the hobby, and more importantly get new folks in the hobby?

rc has bigger issues to sort out than speedo technology. it was bound to happen anyway. save for resistance levels, death of 60hz, RVP, and torque control, speedos from 2006 yield little difference to those from 1986.

the last thing we has hobbyists need to do is bicker bout these things. it doesnt help the hobby in large. who cares who has the biggest 'shite' in the speedo dept if folks leave and the track puts up the closed sign. we lost another 1 this wkend in our area. sadly the 1 5min from my 1st house thats in construction.

rethink it all folks, when it gets down to it, the nitro guys once again have somethin to snicker about.

1 day electric will get back to stock and mod. mod u can play w/all that stuff. stock ur limited in some way shape or form. less classes, more racers. yeh some guys will always be up front, and others not so much. not every1 can win.

did ya have fun? ask yourself that. make it a point if u forget. going home 9th and having a good time is better than a win feelin mad bout somethin that mighve happened or just flat out tired workin so hard for somethin thats supposed to be a hobby.

off the box

R
Old 09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If we restrict the speed controls (timing, programming etc.) it's just going to make things worse. Every time some one wins a race it will be that "factory racer only" software or something like that.

Restricting the speedo timing is a non issue IMO because there is a physical limit to where we can go. Eventually, the motor physically won't run properly.

ROAR approved speedo's? Sounds good on the surface but most of the big races are not ROAR events. It's a big free for all with all of the different rules at the different races.

Surprised it took this long for the thread to start after Vegas actually.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I personally think it is enough to limit voltage/cells, dimensions of kit, body, wheels, and motor turn. Let the ESC manufacturers innovate. Teching the ESC will put unnecessary burdens on everyone. I still spend the least amount of money running EP TC than anything else I have run.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

im with wingracer on this tekin has a speedo that you can upgrade to stay competive. this type of speedo can only help the hobby with keeping the cost down and the performace up. more companies need to follow the example that tekin has set.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I wonder how much of this is related to brushless being a newer technology. I'm sure once it matures everything will even out and the performance will be nearly maxed out. The only problem is that everything is getting so fast again. 17.5 is feeling nearly as fast as 13.5 did just a year or so ago. For those wanting to slow things down it seems that has not occurred.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.